Duxford 2016 Air Shows

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Duxford 2016 Air Shows

Post by boff180 »

Have to say, I find Duxford expensive for a half day flying display anyway and the extra £5 for the privilege of parking my car means I won't be attending any Duxford shows this year.

Way to go Duxford, at a time when you're supposed to be encouraging people not to freeload in the naughty field you give those that do yet another reason. :wall:

Andy

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Me and my dad will be going to Flying Legends this year and I have no problems paying for parking, by the time we pay for both tickets, petrol (by far the biggest money eater coming all the way from Newcastle), food, programme and any other things we might purchase £5 is a small amount.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I know the £5 isn't a separate charge for Legends they say they increased the price, but I'll be a senior this year so at least I get £7 saving :biggrin:
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

A lot on here wouldn't bat an eye lid at forking out £300+ for an Xbox or PlayStation and another £30+ for a game but add £5 to an air show entrance ticket and it's the end of the world. :roll:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Pen Pusher wrote:A lot on here wouldn't bat an eye lid at forking out £300+ for an Xbox or PlayStation and another £30+ for a game but add £5 to an air show entrance ticket and it's the end of the world. :roll:

Brian

Bit of a difference Brian, an Xbox would last a number of years whereas Duxford's flying displays last around 3 hours.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

jalfrezi wrote:
Chrisse wrote:
WG655 wrote:
Maybe it would be more of an incentive were discounted tickets available for those who use Park & Ride?

Having used Trumpington before, the ease is sufficient incentive, I think.

Having never used it, what's the normal cost for the Park and Ride to Duxford on an airshow day?

I think Legends will probably be my only Duxford show this year unless they get a star item, as it's getting a little too expensive for a 3.5 hour display!

From the P&R website: "It will cost you £1 to park up to 18 hours".
The shuttlebus to Duxford is free of charge.

Kipperooni

Post by Kipperooni »

I have rarely missed a single show at Duxford since 1988 (only 5 individual days). I am the longest serving member of the Friends Of Duxford, but the increase to the ticket price and expecting another £5 to park my car is disgusting and I must say I will not be attending any more May or September shows and will most likely now not renew my FOD membership next year. WELL DONE DUXFORD. :wall:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

All these people dropping out, should get a spot on the crowd line now. :biggrin:

Haven't seen it mentioned but there is a 15% discount on the May show ticket price -
Book this month to get 15% off tickets with promo code AIRSHOW15A

https://www.facebook.com/iwm.duxford/?fref=nf

Motorcycles have FREE parking by the way. :clap: :clap:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Pen Pusher wrote:All these people dropping out, should get a spot on the crowd line now. :biggrin:

Haven't seen it mentioned but there is a 15% discount on the May show ticket price -

Brian

There is a 20% discount for May if booked by 29th of Feb, which came with the heads up e mail I received.

The restriction in car parking should at least remove the congestion and pre booking removes the weather risk from the organiser to the customer.

I wonder how many u turns will take place.
Brian with a £10 surcharge is that enough for a hedge. :whistle:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Pen Pusher wrote:All these people dropping out, should get a spot on the crowd line now. :biggrin:

Brian

Pretty good value if you work it out as its cheaper than using my FOD card......Pity I bought them yesterday before I knew tho.... :wall:
Still for those who use it it'll virtually wipe out the car park charge... :heyhey: everyone's a winner...... :up:
...Rad shutters auto.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

TKK 140 wrote:

Brian

There is a 20% discount for May if booked by 29th of Feb, which came with the heads up e mail I received.

The restriction in car parking should at least remove the congestion and pre booking removes the weather risk from the organiser to the customer.

I wonder how many u turns will take place.
Brian with a £10 surcharge is that enough for a hedge. :whistle:

Hi TKK 140

Is there a code for the 20% discount?

Thanks.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

There are two issues, the actual £5 which, for some, will make the difference between being able to come or not (are park and ride etc)

but there is the bigger issue of client goodwill (or lack of it). Knowing that the service provider is looking at every area to try and squeeze every last penny out of you is not good and, even if you can find the money, its a black mark against their brand and the decision to come back and support other events.

I was amazed in Belgium that they charged to use the toilets but, other than urinate in public, what can you do?

PS have Duxford yet played the green card in justifying the car park charge?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

davidjones533 wrote:

Thanks.

AIR20SHOW

So unless you're able to visit the museum regularly (no offence intended Brian) that makes an adult ticket £3 cheaper than we can get a FOD one....hardly worth being a member is it...... :wall:
BTW, the code doesn't work for Legends tickets.
...Rad shutters auto.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Being a FOD 'Senior' it's only £27.20 for two days at the May show and £43.20 for two days at Legends. Worth it for me. :biggrin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Not fair...you pensioners nowadays get all the good deals.... :sad: Still a few more years for me yet, mind you if this year goes as fast as last year it won't take long.... :heyhey:
...Rad shutters auto.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Another 4 years til I get my State pension/bus pass etc. :tongue:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Ah, I see Senior FOD is 60+. Apologies for thinking you were older than I thought. Of course that also means I'll get there sooner... :sad: That's all I need... .
...Rad shutters auto.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

davidjones533 wrote:

Thanks.

AIR20SHOW

Thanks very much. I might not bother renewing my FOD membership!

Using the code :

Adult | Promotion 20% off | Saturday ND
If you're driving to the air show please also select to buy a car parking ticket below
£23.60

FoD:

Adult | Friends of Duxford | Saturday
Please bring along your membership card. If you're driving to the air show please also select to buy a car parking ticket below
£26.55

The free tea and "luxury" portaloos in the Friends enclosure on show days are not worth the £55 annual membership and the higher-priced tickets. I'm afraid that my many years of Friends membership might have drawn to a close as there really is no incentive to renew because due to changing circumstances, I won't take advantage of the following "benefits":

Free and fast-track admission to IWM Duxford*
20% discount on Air Show tickets, plus free access to the Friends' marquee and enclosure on air show days, with unrivalled views of the display
Free subscription to Duxford News, the IWM Duxford magazine published three times a year
20% discount on airfield landing fees
Discount on IWM Duxford's Special Interest Days and some events
20% discount at IWM Duxford’s shops and a 10% discount at other IWM branches’ shops
20% discount in IWM Duxford’s cafes and restaurants
10% discount on a number of Classic Wings flights. For more information visit Classic Wings.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Do we know yet if the display lines are likely to be the same as last September's show, i.e. no banked turns around the Airspace hangar (M11 end)?

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I like many others leave it until a day or two beforehand to decide which day to attend - based on expected weather in my case. I strongly resent having either to make up my mind now, or buying a "both days" ticket. And then there's the car parking surcharge :mad:

Should I want to buy a both days ticket, but only one car parking ticket, what option am I supposed to take? The nice lady I spoke to at the IWM today couldn't help and it was clearly something that hadn't been considered? Any suggestions out there?

As at least a couple of people have pointed out, it now makes FOD membership extremely questionable. Law of unintended consequences, or just plain stupidity? I've also been a FOD member for many years but probably won't bother when my renewal falls due :sad: .

Andy

Bill16STN

Post by Bill16STN »

R4118

Post by R4118 »

For me it's simple.

A parking charge means I wont be doing the flightline walk. Can't have everything.
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

R4118

Post by R4118 »

The promotion code doesn't seem to work with the booking of tickets for Legends.
Too bad.
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The promo code was for the May show only.

Brian

DfG on Facebook