PREOCH'S 2015! [Big Post]

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
PeterR

PREOCH'S 2015! [Big Post]

Post by PeterR »

2015 has been another ace year for me. I'll try and save the blah and let this selection of images do the talking for what I've got up to..!

My year began with a trip to Heathorw, with the main objective of the visit was to photograph the Qatar Amiri Flight’s beautiful Boeing B747SP, which looked absolutely stunning in the winter light. By chance the Saudi Arabian government’s unique A340-8000 was also in Heathrow that day, arriving in the last of the afternoon’s sunlight.
ImageQatari Classic. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Image-8000. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Later in January I jetted off for the first of my trips abroad, to Copenhagen. It wasn’t a specifically a spotting trip but I did manage a couple of hours at the airport in bleak weather conditions. Thanks to Chris Milne & Mark Leith for the company!
ImageSAS Sass. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

February was a much quieter month for me, again plagued by poor weather. However I did manage to catch one of Birmingham Airport’s most exotic movements of the year! Awful shots in naff conditions, but I doubt I’ll be shooting RNZAF Texans again anytime soon…
ImageZiwi Transit. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

March saw another highly successful nightshoot at RAF Northolt with an array of interesting visitors, however it was third time lucky for Phil as we finally got to see the specially marked S-2T Tracker, and what a beauty see was.
ImageNight Stalker. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

March also saw the Media Launch for the RAF Cosford Air Show 2015. As many of you will be aware, for the 2015 I was employed as the Head of Air Operations and was responsible for pulling together the aircraft to excite the assembled press to generate interest for the show. Despite some issues with the weather in the morning, the sun did come out to play once most of our visitors had left! Even though I was working, I just had to get a shot of RAF Cosford’s newest VSTOL resident out in the sun.
ImageVAAC to the Future... by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

I rounded off the month with another trip to Heathrow, this time in search of a Royal Air Maroc B747-400 (which never materialised) however the weather conditions did create some dramatic images.
ImageThe American Dream. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

April was another month where I didn’t manage to get out much, but I did make an exemption for ‘PDA Day’ at RAF Coningsby, purely for the chance to photograph this stunning jet for the first time…
ImageCommemorative Colours. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

May began with a trip up to Manchester to see my good friend Charles Cunliffe, and of course that meant a trip to the airport! Being a local to the airport, Charles was able to show me some spotting locations I had not visited before, a favourite of mine was this spot on 23R which enabled this A380 rotation shot.
ImageV1... Rotate. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

May saw the 70th Anniversary of VE-Day which was commemorated across the country, including at the IWM Duxford (more on that later). To join in with the #KissForVEDay trend on Twitter, we at RAF Cosford decided to ‘kiss’ some Jaguars for the occasion which created some nice images for the campaign.
ImageBlack Knights. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

As previously mentioned, the IWM Duxford VE-Day Airshow was the first chance to see a number of new displays, including the awesome Attack Helicopter Display Team with a pair of Apache AH1. The sun came out at the end of a busy day for this shot, which has a nice SPTA feel to it.
ImageGUNSHIP TWOSHIP. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Of course June for me was dominated by the RAF Cosford Air Show, 9 months of hard work coming to fruition on one weekend! And somehow I found scraps of time to take a few snaps too..!

The weather was nice in the week preceding…
ImageBelize Blue. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

…and the Monday post-show was sunny too!
ImageREAP THE WHIRLWIND by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

This was a personal highlight, and the responses from the crowd (non-aviation people too) show what an incredible looking aircraft the TSR2 still is.

BRITAIN'S LOST BOMBER by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Later in June I was lucky enough to join a tour of RAF Fairford during the Sabre-Strike exercise, including the chance to photograph the mighty BUFF departing from the control tower balcony.
ImageOld Smoker. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

And even later in June, Avro Vulcan XH558 returned to RAF Cosford as part of her V-Force tour. Rather happy with this image of the flypast!
ImageSmoking Salute. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

July began with a two-day trip to Somerset for the RNAS Yeovilton Air Day. Friday was spent southside with plenty of excellent company on the fence to keep spirits high despite the tower decided to needlessly backtrack a huge number of aircraft rather than using the taxiway loop. Thankfully two of the Super Étendards used the loop, which will likely be the last time I photograph the classic French jet in active service.
ImageSEM-ERSET. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

The Commando Assault this year gave the first chance to capture Merlin HC3 in Royal Navy markings. I look forward to seeing the HC4 with folding tail etc in a few years time!
ImageCOMMANDEERED. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

The show itself offered a number of great photo opportunities, including the ‘V-Jet Formation’
ImageV-JET VISION. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

And a chance to photograph ‘GiNA’ in the sun!
ImageSTEALING THE LIMELIGHT. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Following hot on the heels comes RIAT. You all know what was there and how it went down, so I’ll just leave you four of my favourite images from the week.
ImageFREEDOM. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageP-1 PERFECTION. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageKROKODIL by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

My favourite element of “Dunc’s Balbo”!
ImageHURRI' FORMATION. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Straight after RIAT, I took a trip up to RAF Coningsby with Dean West & Mark Leith and was joined by a number of other familiar faces. Indradhanush was incredibly frustrating with the weather, but great to see Flankers on UK soil again!
ImageGREY ON GREY by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageTEAM TAXI. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageEASTERN BEAST. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

And then in late July came my favourite show of the year: RNAS Culdrose. Incredible weather and a great line-up came together for an awesome show. Review - HERE My thanks to Cdr Jason Phillips for his excellent hospitality!

Star of the flying display for me was Foxy…
ImageFLYING FIST by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

…with this black beauty being the star of the static display.
ImageBLACK BEAUTY by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

One of the many excellent Tornado GR4 special tails we’ve seen this year, now sadly RTPed.
ImageBATMAN by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

First chance (and only) for me to see the RN Blackcats with their new helicopter, a very impressive display!
ImageBLACKCATS BOW. by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Teddy won the flying display award at both of his UK shows in 2015 (Cosford & Culdrose) and it’s not hard to understand why!
ImageBRING THE NOISE by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Whilst down in Cornwall I took the chance to visit old friends at Newquay Airport, now operating as ‘Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre’ – Well worth a visit if you’re in the area! Article - HERE
ImageVARSITY by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageSUN-BUS by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Next in August came another trip overseas, with Dean West & Mark Leith, for Radom Airshow. The Polish show had plenty of exciting hardware and despite grey skies over the weekend was still an awesome event. Review - HERE

My first active MiG-21..!
ImageROMANIAN ROCKET by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageBLUE WHALE by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

The show’s opening formation of Polish Air Force aircraft was certainly impressive, 65 aircraft in total!
ImageFITTER FORMATION by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImagePOWER OF ZEUS by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageVIP HIP by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

September was a very busy month for me, kicked off with another cool visitor to BHX!
ImageSLOVAK SUPRISE by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

Followed by my first ever visit to the Cosby Victory Show… I will definitely be back!
Image'STANG SCRAMBLE by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

I definitely fell in love with this beauty at Cosby…
ImageSEAFIRE by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

In September I embarked on the trip of a life-time to North Korea! You can read a detailed report of the whole week in the trip thread, so for now I’ll just post some of my favourite images from the best week ever! Thanks again to Charles for being mad enough to come with me.
ImageKORYO KLASSIC by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageHIP-TASTIC by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageGOODBYE CIVILIZATION by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageINAUGURAL ARRIVALS by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageCLASSIC COOT by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

And also did a bit of spotting at Beijing Capital whilst I was out there…
ImageSF EXPRESS by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageBLUE DREAM by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImagePOSITIVE RATE by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageSHANGHAI PUSHBACK by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

October was a quiet month (recovering!) but of course the Shuttleworth Season Finale was a must, for XH558’s final public display. Politics aside, the chance to see a classic British nuclear bomber being thrown around the skies for the past 8 years has been incredible.
ImageFINAL FAREWELL by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

And one to end the year… on a trip which was purely to procrastinate from university exam revision!
ImageGHOST FLIGHT by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

2015 really has been a blast, with so many highs and lows. Thanks again to everyone who played a part in it… roll on 2016!

Tobyone1985

Re: PREOCH'S 2015! [Big Post]

Post by Tobyone1985 »

Excellent post with some really stunning shots.

Bluemike52

Post by Bluemike52 »

Excellent photographs. Thanks for sharing.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Great stuff, mate - nigh on impossible to pick a favourite, but your shots from Yeovilton/Culdrose have been some of the best I've seen from both shows - to say nothing of the international stuff. :up:

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Some lovely imagery there. Looks like you had a good 2015. Unfortunately mine was fairly quiet for a number of reasons but looking forward to a busier 2016.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

A hugely enjoyable set. You've had quite a year Peter!