Sunderland International Airshow 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
JordonHarston

Sunderland International Airshow 2016

Post by JordonHarston »

The Sunderland International Airshow dates have been confirmed as the 22nd, 23rd and 24th July 2016

I certainly hope this year there is greater international participation due to it calling itself an international airshow. Also the return of Gerald Cooper would be appreciated after being the stand out display from last year. So I was wondering what would you like to see at Sunderland this year????

Chris G

Re: Sunderland International Airshow 2016

Post by Chris G »

DH Sea Vixen, MIG-15 some warbirds from TFC would be nice.

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

RAF King Air Display has been announced for all three days

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

RAF Typhoon announced for all three days

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Red Arrows announced for all three days

Edit: Website now updated showing Sunderland for only the 22nd and 23rd. This once again however could change.

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Royal Navy Black Cats have announced for the Saturday and Sunday in the schedule they have released today

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

The Blades are appearing on 23rd and 24th.

Paul123

Post by Paul123 »

:smile: Briteling Wingwalkers announced their Display Calendar last night, and they are coming to Sunderland, Saturday/Sunday(22/23rd) of July

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Flightline UK posted an update for the airshow yesterday featuring:

Norwegian Vampire Duo - Saturday/Sunday
Norwegian MIG-15 - Sunday only
Bronco Demo Team - Saturday/Sunday
BAC Strikemaster - Saturday/Sunday
Hangar 11 P-51D Mustang and P-40M Kittyhawk - Saturday/ Sunday
Twister Aerobatic Team - Friday/Saturday/Sunday
Red Bull Matadors - Saturday/Sunday

Hopefully more acts will be announced and hopefully more international acts given its name which Sunderland has struggled with over previous years

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

After seeing the update yesterday I'm very tempted to make a trip. Does anybody know roughly what time the flying display starts?
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Ledhead27 wrote:After seeing the update yesterday I'm very tempted to make a trip. Does anybody know roughly what time the flying display starts?

Friday flying starts at 6pm and is stagnated through the night with around two displays every hour culminating usually with the Twister duo at around 9.45pm

Weekend flying usually starts around 12:15-12:30 and continues to around 5pm

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

JordonHarston wrote:Flightline UK posted an update for the airshow yesterday featuring:

Norwegian Vampire Duo - Saturday/Sunday
Norwegian MIG-15 - Sunday only
Bronco Demo Team - Saturday/Sunday
BAC Strikemaster - Saturday/Sunday
Hangar 11 P-51D Mustang and P-40M Kittyhawk - Saturday/ Sunday
Twister Aerobatic Team - Friday/Saturday/Sunday
Red Bull Matadors - Saturday/Sunday

Hopefully more acts will be announced and hopefully more international acts given its name which Sunderland has struggled with over previous years

The official site https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6454 has the MIG on both days and no Strikemaster.

Thinking of giving it a try on the Saturday especially for the Norwegian's. What's a good vantage point for photography and what time would I have to get there to get a spot. Does it matter as much as an airfield show to be at the front with the display being over the sea? With it being the east coast I'm expecting the sun to be behind for the displays?

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

The official site https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6454 has the MIG on both days and no Strikemaster.

Thinking of giving it a try on the Saturday especially for the Norwegian's. What's a good vantage point for photography and what time would I have to get there to get a spot. Does it matter as much as an airfield show to be at the front with the display being over the sea? With it being the east coast I'm expecting the sun to be behind for the displays?

The link hasn't been updated since last year it doesn't usually get updated until June time.
Usually at Sunderland the display line is further than other coastal locations but could be further this year.
Crowd starts filling up about an hour before the show but there are many vantage points to get photos. Sometimes at the start of the show the sun get cause some problems. Hope this helps

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Nwalch wrote:What's a good vantage point for photography and what time would I have to get there to get a spot. Does it matter as much as an airfield show to be at the front with the display being over the sea? With it being the east coast I'm expecting the sun to be behind for the displays?

Take the biggest lens you have as you will need it. Going to the headland to the right as you look out to sea for the reds is always a good bet, in previous years one of syncro pair tends to come screaming overhead (not an official part of the display line so it's okay to overly to an extent) to reform with the team after the final break, give you an idea of how low the trees behind the headland and across the main road normally obscure the Hawk until the last moment, this may change post Shoreham though.

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Courtesy of Flightline UK the current line up is

Red Arrows Fri/Sat
RAF Typhoon Fri/Sat/Sun
RAF Chinook Sat/Sun
BBMF Lancaster/Spitfire/Hurricane Fri/Sat/Sun
RAF Falcons Parachute Display Team Sat/Sun

Royal Navy Black Cats Fri/Sat/Sun
Royal Navy Historic Flight - Fairey Swordfish Sat/Sun

British Army Freefall Parachute Display Team Sat/Sun

Norweigan Vampire Duo Sat/Sun
Norweigan MIG 15 Sunday only
Bronco Display Team Sat/Sun
BAC Strikemaster Sat/Sun

P-51D Mustang Sat/Sun
P-40M Kittyhawk Sat/Sun
Royal Netherlands Air Force Historic Flight TB-25N Mitchell Sunday only

Calidus Autogyro Sat/Sun
The Blades Sat/Sun
Twister Aerobatic Team Fri/Sat/Sun Friday will be a pyrotechnic display
Red Bull Matadors Sat/Sun

bradallen516

Post by bradallen516 »

Will planes TV broadcast Sunderland international airshow live this year? :cool:

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

No, planes tv next broadcast will be Eastbourne according to them at Farnborough yesterday.

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Couple of updates:
Aerosparx Display Team added for Friday only courtesy of Flightline UK

Lancaster flew today so looking like it could possibly display this weekend at Sunderland

Also the Red Arrows are flying at 19:30 on Friday and 16:05 on Saturday

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Chinook cancelled, source: Flightline UK on Facebook.

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Quite Busy here at the Friday Night Launch Party.
BBMF just flew with a standout display from the Lancaster of course but the Spitfire and Hurricane also did some nice close passes
Red Arrows at 19:30
Typhoon 20:50
Twister Duo 21:30
Aerosparx 21:40

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Went yesterday. the Lanc went tech, The Norwegian Vampires did an amazing display... in Amsterdam! They were so far away the hubble telescope might have picked them up. The Spit and Hurricane were far away too. The Typhoon display was better than last year with plenty of moves, noise and fluff. Red Arrows proved how good they can be, this years display is so much better than it has for ages. Best display of the day for me was the Autogyro.

All in all a great day with some good friends, lots of laughs and a beach assault thrown in.

from the car park at Morrison's to the A19, 5 minutes. great!
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

One thing you have to remember with the Sunderland Airshow, is that the bay curves round, and there are usually
spectators right up to the end point of the curve. Therefore the rules say that the faster Aircraft, have to display beyond the nearest spectator i am not exactly sure how far, display items like the BBMF for example. So that unfortunately means that the spectators further back on the straight section of the bay i.e. by the Lighthouse, will not get the closest view of such a display. At a seaside display venue such as Rhyl, the crowdline isn't curved it's fairly straight, so every spectator has more or less the same view of the displays. I think slower display items at Sunderland such as the Wingwalkers, can fly closer to the straight section of the bay, because they can turn away quicker avoiding overflying the spectators on the curved section of the bay.

jon93

Post by jon93 »

eddywinch82 wrote:One thing you have to remember with the Sunderland Airshow, is that the bay curves round, and there are usually
spectators right up to the end point of the curve. Therefore the rules say that the faster Aircraft, have to display beyond the nearest spectator i am not exactly sure how far, display items like the BBMF for example. So that unfortunately means that the spectators further back on the straight section of the bay i.e. by the Lighthouse, will not get the closest view of such a display. At a seaside display venue such as Rhyl, the crowdline isn't curved it's fairly straight, so every spectator has more or less the same view of the displays. I think slower display items at Sunderland such as the Wingwalkers, can fly closer to the straight section of the bay, because they can turn away quicker avoiding overflying the spectators on the curved section of the bay.

Sitting on the headland to the the north you can see the large differences between how close the aircraft fly to beach some being more cautious than others. The odd thing is numerous aircraft overflew the headland such as the BBMF Hurricane and both Black Cats, whilst the Typhoon got extremely close on full afterburner which rung the ears a fair bit. Does anyone know what happened with Tigers on Sunday one of them dropped the flag into the sea to the north by the headland since there's no speakers over there and people only caught a glimpse of something entering the water and the dash by both RNLI boats meant there was a few concerned people in that neck of woods, until everyone saw it was a flag. Overall a good day yesterday with a bit of rain trying it's best to dampen everyone's spirits, but that Typhoon pass over the headland more than made up for the rain.