Talking Bwlchllocks - Tommy in the Loop

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Talking Bwlchllocks - Tommy in the Loop

Post by Tommy »

Nyello, all.

I had a couple of days off work recently, and managed to make the Loop a few times, and I'm liking the Bwlch Exit at this time of year. Was good fun on the whole, bar the freezing cold and biting wind - got to say, after being up there in driving winds, rain, and indeed snow at times, a small pop-up tent bought in Millets was one of the best £25 I have ever spent!

The Loop actually seems busier in terms of aircraft movements than the same time last year, but maybe that's me. One thing I have noticed is a lot of first-timers which is nice to see, though it is a pain in the arse that the Bwlch car park fills up at 6:30/7:00 these days :dizzy: Less nice to see, though, is people who clearly underestimate the Loop, and either think that it's wall-to-wall action (which, of course, it's not!), or think that climbing the Bwlch in t-shirts and converse will be completely fine. I was telling some of the other staff members, back in February a family walked up the Bwlch with two very young children in the driving wind and snow, wearing little else but t-shirts and leggings relying on the RAF lowfly timetable. They realised their mistake pretty quickly; and following a chat from us about how much danger kids were in/shelter/and hot tea, they swiftly made their way back down, but I don't get who looks at a snow-covered hill in Wales in February and thinks it's sensible to climb it with two young kids with no proper gear or protection. The mind boggles...

Anyway, I finally caught an F-15 shot I'm at least moderately happy with! Shame it's not landlocked, but beggars can't be choosing. Rather, more frustrating was seeing several Eagles yesterday, and a Typhoon on Thursday, all make their way into the Loop, or attempt to, only to develop technical problems and either divert to Valley or immediately RTB.... To say nothing of the 208 and Goldstars Sqn special tails come through the valleys in crap light, only for the clouds to part minutes later! :wall: :wall:

Most of the below are from Thurs/Friday this week, except for the Tonka, taken a month ago.

As per, would love some C'n'C on these, if anyone has some. It's been tricky photography with my lowly Tamron lens, what with the conditions changing so much, and it shows but hopefully they are at least passable, though I think I need to have another crack at noise reduction. Anyway, I'll stop prattling...

ImageLoopers by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageBatTonk by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0163Resize by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageaRAF sLOW by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageFrom Valley in the valleys by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageBlack Hawk by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImagePoints by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0124Resize by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageMouse from Ouse by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageTuc Tuc by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageF-15E-agle by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Hope they're of interest. A big thanks to all of the blokes (and blokesses) up there who kept the boredom at bay with plenty of laughs and banter. Nice to see some familiar faces, and meet some new ones. :up:

Thanks for looking,
Tom :smile:

Roughcutter

Re: Talking Bwlchllocks - Tommy in the Loop

Post by Roughcutter »

Very nice Tom, especially the F-15 topsides, was it Friday? We went to Cad West the day before with no such luck - just the usual Hawks and a trio of Tux, highlight being a 31Sqn Tonka in the morning albeit a bit too high :roll:
It's a bit like fishing really, don't go there expecting anything (but don't rule anything out either) :wink:
MarkL

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Cheers, Mark.

Yeah, Eagles were yesterday. Last time I had them I was at Cad and they were a bit high, and I've been liking Bwlch exit at the moment, so stuck with that. The first of the pair that went through did a really ncie sporty pass! :rock:

I was there on Thursday, too. Caught the Tonka in appalling light :wall:

Timc

Post by Timc »

Very nice Tom, lovely light on those Eagles, hopefully be up there next week and I'll give Bluebell a go for the first time!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Great set mate, don't think I could lug the 600mm up there! :grin:

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

boff180 wrote:Great set mate, don't think I could lug the 600mm up there! :grin:

It's gettin' back down's the hard bit :sweat:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Those Eagles are something else - top work! So, so jealous...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

SWATCO

Post by SWATCO »

Final image is brilliant! :clap:

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Some great shots there - well worth the effort in getting up, especially at this time of year!

The Eagle shots in particular stand out.
Dan