Wirral Airshow 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
ericbee123

Re: Wirral Airshow 2016

Post by ericbee123 »

Jamie87 wrote:Apparently the organisers are in negotiation to continue with the event this year but in a different location.

Blackpool seafront ? :)
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Another location in Merseyside ?

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

If it is Merseyside it will not be on the Wirral side.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Although after reading about the team, who tried to bring an Airshow back to Southend in Essex, when they tried to find an alternative venue after being unable to hold it at Southend Seafront. Sadly failed in their efforts I am rather skeptical ! But hopefully I will be proved wrong !

banksy

Post by banksy »

Hoylake perhaps? They already stage the Lifeboat Day..

Can't think of anywhere else the Wirral side of the water that this would work?

Let's hope they get the nod of approval this time.
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

banksy wrote:Hoylake perhaps? They already stage the Lifeboat Day..

Can't think of anywhere else the Wirral side of the water that this would work?

Let's hope they get the nod of approval this time.

It's not the nod of approval they need mate, it's the licences involved, safety cases, traffic management plans, emergency services and planned ingress and egress red routes for these and loads loads more.

Plus CAA being on board along with ATC as New Brighton is on the edge of flights in and out of JL airport.

This all takes time and I'm afraid, looking at how they have gone about it all.......ar*e about face, they are showing inexperience normally shown by a 16 year old with a computer IMHO.
Got to love Russianhardware

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Most definitely cancelled now. Website showing a 2017 date for show.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Jamie87 wrote:Most definitely cancelled now. Website showing a 2017 date for show.

Another one bites the dust. :sad:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

banksy

Post by banksy »

Living just a couple of miles from Hawarden, I'd love to see this go ahead if they used there as the nearby base.

I do hope they work it out for 2017 though as we're desperate for a good show south of Liverpool. I used to love the shows at Hawarden but the insurance on events at Airbus was just too much to stage a show, given the importance of the wings built at the plant.

Best we can hope for at Airbus is a 50th anniversary show in 2019 similar to the 40th one they had.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

banksy wrote:Living just a couple of miles from Hawarden, I'd love to see this go ahead if they used there as the nearby base.

I do hope they work it out for 2017 though as we're desperate for a good show south of Liverpool. I used to love the shows at Hawarden but the insurance on events at Airbus was just too much to stage a show, given the importance of the wings built at the plant.

Best we can hope for at Airbus is a 50th anniversary show in 2019 similar to the 40th one they had.

I'm sorry but I could not see this being better than Rhyl or Llandudno in recent years. In my opinion it was always going to be a "sharing" event with Blackpool down the coast , that also does not have any special traffic measures in place, as it's not a "biggie" like Southport. It's a couple of hours flying as Wirral would have been and Rhyl and Llandudno have been.

Talk about "bigging up" a show that's not happened.

Go Blackpool that weekend. It will have everything the Wirral show would have and won't need extra parking or marshals. It doesn't have many more roads and is on a peninsular like the Wirral, it just gets 100,000's of visitors every weekend in summer, and parks them ok.

PS. Red Arrows were based at Harwarden for Blackpool Airshow last year so you still might see what you would for a Wirral show that weekend.

PPS. Blackpool's first Airshow was 1909 and has more years with airshows, than not, since then, BTW. I know it's not everyone's favourite place, but you can find hangars and aviation heritage all over town. The elephants in the zoo live in a 1940s hangar and there is a 1930s control tower in the zoo as well as lots of 1940s hangars and "Wellington sheds" at the airport which was an Vickers factory and made Wellingtons. The original factory is still there - for a year or two it's scheduled for demolition in my lifetime.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

banksy

Post by banksy »

Last time I went to the Blackpool airshow it took me 4 hours to get there from Chester, when normally it would take me 90 mins max so I know where I'd rather go!

Especially with two babies in the car!

Plus have done the rhyl show and coming back on that A55 isn't straight forward either!

banksy

Post by banksy »

Any news on this for 2017 yet?

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Banksy.

Travelodge family rooms at Blackpool, first Sunday in August are currently £35. Won't take you 4 hours to get home on Monday.