Grange Rd Duxford fences and closure notice - pics attached

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
andygolfer

Grange Rd Duxford fences and closure notice - pics attached

Post by andygolfer »

We called at Grange Rd this afternoon on our way home from Old Warden to check out the situation and took some photos of the fencing. We also found an official road closure notice, actually an events notice rather than the more common road closure. The big difference with this notice is that it also prevents PEDESTRIANS from accessing the road so expect it to be totally inaccessible at the weekend

two pics of the notice, one in full the other the clause re pedestrians:

and now two of the fencing and two of the gates across the accesses:

I think anybody considering entering the 'naughty fields' or Grange Road next weekend should re-consider their options, the authorities seem to be taking a tougher attitude this year

Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

romeo bravo

Re: Grange Rd Duxford fences and closure notice - pics attac

Post by romeo bravo »

There's bound to be someone who will try it....

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

romeo bravo wrote:There's bound to be someone who will try it....

Let's hope so.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

toom317 wrote:

Let's hope so.

Lets hope not, because those selfish individuals will then cause the flying display to be curtailed and the paying public will loose out.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The point of this notice is that it effects pedestrians too, unless you can prove you have a legal right of access to the adjacent fields (i.e. you own them or are working/have permission of the owner), it will be a criminal offence to set foot on the road for the duration of the RTRA.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

HuwJHopkins wrote:
toom317 wrote:

Let's hope so.

Lets hope not, because those selfish individuals will then cause the flying display to be curtailed and the paying public will loose out.

My main concern is that a select few will see these (literally) bigger barriers purely as greater bragging rights if they do manage to find a way through and hide out somewhere. I've noticed that occurring more and more since the clampdown began and am interested to see what effect this fencing has. I'm all for improving safety, but can't help feeling Duxford is undoubtedly stuck between a rock & a hard place with this.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I have heard there is going to be a manned barrier of some sort on Grange Road just before the bridge over the motorway with the M11 acting as a barrier to stop people sneaking across. What's happening at the other end I've not heard.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

toom317 wrote:

Let's hope so.

Nothing will be gained by ignoring the closure.

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

The school is on hunts road so will that be shut ?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

According to their calendar 'Air Day - grounds open' for both day's.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Flyforfun wrote:The school is on hunts road so will that be shut ?

the school is within the 'no fly zone' and they always recommend that you don't leave the grounds, both verbally when you pay and with a letter which includes your free cup of tea voucher.

HTH

Andy
andygolfer

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

toom317 wrote:

Let's hope so.

I suspect if they do the display will be halted and any future shows at Duxford be in jeopardy, it would be playing right in to the CAA hands and make it all the easier to kill off even more of the airshow scene. If we ignore the rules and the show is stopped for "being unsafe" this would please many in the CAA and make a great story for the press too,and be bye bye Duxford airshows. Besides If we are going to argue against these new regulations we need at least be sensible first and support the show.
On a flip note I am going to be struggling to get there with a broken foot and various other aches and pains, I'm not getting out much and I am hoping nothing will screw the day up for me and anyone else who has paid to enjoy the show.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Say if the farmer does what he normally does, and sits out on the mound, his mound, to watch the airshow. What happens then? Show stopped because someone on his own land is under the display.

This madness is the airshow world's own brand of McCarthyism. A witchunt without common sense.

What if an aeroplane came down in the field, and there was no-one within half a mile to help the pilot out of a burning wreck? Just as likely a scenario as a spectator getting wiped out.

Duxford's days are numbered, and have been from day one of the CAA's lunacy.

C24

Post by C24 »

This seems like 'fuzzy' logic to me.

As a previous accident occurred on a public road, surely the M11 should be closed and the whole village evacuated?

In previous years I have bought a ticket and hiked to a position to take photos with the sun at my back. Luckily for me, this year I decided not to.

At least this attitude to safety may contribute to the closure of London Heathrow
C24.

"There is no go round in a glider".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Say if the farmer does what he normally does, and sits out on the mound, his mound, to watch the airshow. What happens then? Show stopped because someone on his own land is under the display.

The land around Duxford is owned by Cambridge Universities and large financial institutions and farmers are tenants not owners.

Dan O'Hagan wrote:What if an aeroplane came down in the field, and there was no-one within half a mile to help the pilot out of a burning wreck?

The only people there would be photographers and they would be to busy snapping away to be any help.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

I take it you include yourself then Brian if the worst was to happen 'your' side of the fence? I've done the fields several times and have discussed such things and the general consensus was that we would attempt to help in whatever way possible. Furthermore, if pedestrian access will be forcibly blocked before reaching the bridge then why bother with the new fence at all? Nobody will get close and I'm assuming the answer will be to placate the CAA bigwigs.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

C24 wrote:This seems like 'fuzzy' logic to me.

As a previous accident occurred on a public road, surely the M11 should be closed and the whole village evacuated?

In previous years I have bought a ticket and hiked to a position to take photos with the sun at my back. Luckily for me, this year I decided not to.

At least this attitude to safety may contribute to the closure of London Heathrow

re the M.11, at last year's autumn shown the aircraft were turning short of the M11 during their displays so that they didn't overfly it except when landing

re evacuating the whole village, as per my previous post the whole village has always been a 'no fly zone' so it theoretically is as safe as my own village 30 miles away (or possibly safer as there is no actual no fly zone covering my village and I have 2 airfields within 4 miles plus Stansted outbounds. The new policy re the aircraft turning short to avoid crossing the M11 makes it (Duxford village, not mine) safer still.

andy
andygolfer

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

benji1867 wrote:I take it you include yourself then Brian if the worst was to happen 'your' side of the fence?

Yes, and the photographs would be made available for crash investigators, not the press or the forums, besides if it it was a burning wreck the pilot wouldn't need rescuing.

Clutching at straws there trying to justify being in the fields in case there is a crash so you can help.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

the law on rights of way:
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-ac ... d/overview

sections 3 and particularly 4 are the most relevant in this case especially this line:
'You may be able to access private land if the landowner has agreed to let people use it, eg for walking, cycling or horse riding (sometimes known as giving ‘permissive access’). Look for signs.'.
As it is physically fenced off and notices are always posted (I assume they will be again this year to ensure the landowners and tenants are completely covered) then I would suggest that it's safe to assume the landowner doesn't want you on their land. I may partially be a rear end covering exercise so they are not liable for a claim by persons' next of kin if an aircraft crashes upon them but it seems quite clear that Duxford, in an attempt to ensure the show does not have to be halted are taking every measure they can to keep people out of those fields.

1: why not just recognise that as a fact and keep out,
2: stop trying to find excuses why you (think) you still have a right to be on there and accept it was good while it lasted
3: don't do something which might see the show halted/cancelled thus depriving those who paid to go inside of seeing the show they expected - there was a lot of verbal criticism of the Gazelle pilot who halted the Red Arrows display at duxford the other week, if a whole show were cancelled those responsible would never hear the end of it both on here and elsewhere
4: with all the measures being taken, if the offenders were prosecuted for trespass (and the were might be a stronger case for it now with those measures in place) Duxford might attempt to pursue the offenders for loss of income if only to make a point and if that happened more litigious members of the public might then follow suit for the cost of their tickets, would that be enough to put you off if you are thinking of trying to get onto the fields? With the likely cost (if they were successful) being in 10s of £1000s you could probably buy the biggest, best lens and camera in the world and photograph the show from the top of Ickleton church and get far better photos that you would from these fields! (and you could use it again and again.

I'm not saying that I agree fully with the new CAA rules which have brought this about but we are where we are and will just have to hope that things relax in the future, abide by the measures in place so that there is no chance of shows being halted and enjoy it as much as we can, please don't spoil it for those who abide by the rules.

I am still deciding whether or not to go next weekend (I'm a FoD member who goes regularly) if I do I hope it will still be enjoyable rather than ending up as an empty skies event midway through the afternoon.
Last edited by andygolfer on Mon 23 May 2016, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andygolfer

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

If anybody does put the show at risk by accessing the south side field the snipers located on the tower should soon be able to sort them out.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Say if the farmer does what he normally does, and sits out on the mound, his mound, to watch the airshow. What happens then? Show stopped because someone on his own land is under the display.

Which of course he has a perfect right to do! Unless of course the IWM have reached a formal agreement with him (and / or the land owners as I think the farmer is a tenant) to effectively take control of those fields for the airshow days.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

I bet the fields will be busy on practice day as none of these orders seem to cover the Friday! I will bring my binoculars and see how many I can spot from the airfield.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

I'm trying to see the funny side of this, but there isn't one.

Would it not be ironic if the final nail in the coffin of air shows at Duxford (or elsewhere) was driven by "enthusiasts" determined to get "better" photographs?

That is what may happen if those intending to enter the "naughty fields" during the show and those encouraging them to break the law (for that is what it is) get their way.

Yet these people would blame not themselves but the CAA and would be driving a wedge even further between themselves and the general public and providing the media a huge opportunity . I can just imagine the headline....

"PLANE SPOTTERS STOP AIR SHOW!"

What a wonderful advertisement for our hobby(not!). We constantly have to fight to counter the public opinion of aviation enthusiasts as "wierdo geeks"; this would do irreparable damage to our hobby and only serve to reinforce that public opinion.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Wow, you really are bitter that people dare to take better photographs than you, aren't you? And not just at Duxford.

Your bleating will be moot in any case. If ticket sales are as bad as I'm told they are, with no mechanism in place to allow "on the day" sales, combined with the rigmarole and expense of shutting roads and building fences, there'll be no more shows there beyond July.

Especially after the inevitable angry scenes inside Flying Legends when people find it is impossible to see the display adequately from the new central corrals, while the Tank Bank stays empty...

But of course this'll be the fault of the "enthusiasts" and "photographers" you so despise, and in no way the ridiculously draconian rules fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place.
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Mon 23 May 2016, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Where's footpath 9 ?

.....and they're closing Hunts Road which runs parallel to the M11 ?............can't figure that one out