Grange Rd Duxford fences and closure notice - pics attached

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
TKK 140

Re: Grange Rd Duxford fences and closure notice - pics attac

Post by TKK 140 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
The Baron wrote:So, on that note why does Duxford have another 'samey' line up?

Unlike RIAT of course with its samey line up of F-16s/Typhoons/Tornadoes/Hercules etc, etc. :biggrin:

Brian

Brian
Always look at your bimbles and info which I appreciate. (and if honest slightly envious that you are in the position to do them).
Please keep them coming.

Really enjoy Duxford air shows and visits.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

thats a quality line up ive been waiting for this show for months

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Pen Pusher wrote:
The Baron wrote:So, on that note why does Duxford have another 'samey' line up?

Unlike RIAT of course with its samey line up of F-16s/Typhoons/Tornadoes/Hercules etc, etc. :biggrin:

Brian

I wish, only four F-16s there last year and none of those on static! :question:

I've never thought of Duxford as having samey line ups to be honest, at times not overly appealing (personal taste I appreciate), but not samey. I've still yet to see Cosmic Wind for example, but judging by comments on here, so have most of the Duxford audience. :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Agreed that they could get different aircraft , but you don't realise what you have.
The majority of the worlds spitfires , warbirds , an airforce that is more than 16 aircraft and lots of frequent European neighbours with varied types both at airshows and on deployment.

Not to mention a rich varied aviation history with amazing museums.

So for those that appreciate that commend you for those that find it samey well can I suggest golf or scrabble ?
Because if a spitfire tail chase on a sunny evening is boring and the same old duxford , you are tired and jaded with aviation and should go away from it and come back when you miss it.

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

Irishaernut wrote:Because if a spitfire tail chase on a sunny evening is boring and the same old duxford , you are tired and jaded with aviation and should go away from it and come back when you miss it.

Have to agree with you there! I guess it comes down to if you're an aviation enthusiast or purely interested in just taking photos. Im in it for both but got into photography because I enjoy the subject. Unfortunately whatever hobby you are into there will always be people who aren't satisfied. I for one will be at duxford friday-sunday (from the inside), and like any airshow am looking forward it. The photography side may be harder now, but its all part fo the challenge, we have to work with what we have and adapt.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Sometimes I look at the lineups and feel a little disappointed with them, but that soon goes out the window once I'm there. The uniqueness of the formations and scenarios Duxford do always makes it worth going.

It's unfortunate to not be able to go into the fields this time. I'm not a photographer and go there for the pure exhilaration of being so close to these magnificent planes. The sight, sound and feeling you get from being so close is unrivalled from anywhere else. I knew the risks before, as I'm sure the majority of others who go do, but will obviously not be entering them from now on if it means stopping the show all together.

Could someone just clarify for me whether grange road is closed to pedestrians this time? I'd be quite happy to sit along there but if it's closed, I'd have to have a rethink about going at all.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

aaron0288 wrote:Could someone just clarify for me whether grange road is closed to pedestrians this time? I'd be quite happy to sit along there but if it's closed, I'd have to have a rethink about going at all.

Looking at the 2nd photo on page 1, it clearly says under number 3 "No person shall cause or permit any vehicle, PEDESTRIAN or non-motorised vehicle to proceed"

So, no, you are not allowed on Grange Road...

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Talldan76 wrote:
aaron0288 wrote:Could someone just clarify for me whether grange road is closed to pedestrians this time? I'd be quite happy to sit along there but if it's closed, I'd have to have a rethink about going at all.

Looking at the 2nd photo on page 1, it clearly says under number 3 "No person shall cause or permit any vehicle, PEDESTRIAN or non-motorised vehicle to proceed"

What about if you arrive on horseback? :)

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

King Cobra wrote:
Talldan76 wrote:

What about if you arrive on horseback? :)

Does that count as a non-motorised vehicle? :grin:

What if you can levitate? :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

King Cobra wrote:What about if you arrive on horseback? :)

Surely that would be classed a non-motorised vehicle? although it does have 1 horsepower I suppose...

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Talldan76 wrote:

Surely that would be classed a non-motorised vehicle? although it does have 1 horsepower I suppose…

I'm sure lawyers would have hours of fun arguing that one. :)

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
What if you can levitate? :question:

Or shape-shift into a Fox or Muntjac?
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

look for a bridleway and clear up after your horse! :lol:

It will be interesting to see at what point Grange Rd is closed. IF it's closed on the west side of the M11 bridge there might be views of sorts from the bridge. The M11 isn't within the restriction zone so maybe that means the bridge above it isn't either.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

andygolfer wrote:

It will be interesting to see at what point Grange Rd is closed. IF it's closed on the west side of the M11 bridge there might be views of sorts from the bridge. The M11 isn't within the restriction zone so maybe that means the bridge above it isn't either.

I'm confused as to how the M11 can e outside the restriction zone but the footpath from near the school up to the M11 is.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

King Cobra wrote:
andygolfer wrote:

I'm confused as to how the M11 can e outside the restriction zone but the footpath from near the school up to the M11 is.

Ooooooh.....be careful asking that question !.........I did a few posts ago .......and then I was going to be blamed for ruining the whole weekend as a trespassing showstopper !! (even though I've got tickets) :lol:

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

paullangford wrote:
King Cobra wrote:
andygolfer wrote:

Ooooooh.....be careful asking that question !.........I did a few posts ago .......and then I was going to be blamed for ruining the whole weekend as a trespassing showstopper !! (even though I've got tickets) :lol:

No worries, the "moral majority" don't scare me.:) I hadn't intended going to the show but received a phone call asking if I wanted a ticket f.o.c. so now I'll be going. Not setting my hopes high on the photographic stakes though.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

To show how daft the situation is, just received a report from the naughty field where people are watching the practice displays without let or hindrance. So how come it's safe today but dangerous tomorrow? :question:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

How are these people able to get to the naughty field ? As fences have been put up to stop people getting in ! Where are the police ? If the show gets stopped because of people being in that field, I will be very angry !

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

eddywinch82 wrote:Where are the police ?

Solving crimes?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

eddywinch82 wrote:How are these people able to get to the naughty field ? As fences have been put up to stop people getting in ! Where are the police ? If the show gets stopped because of people being in that field, I will be very angry !

Oh, do pipe down.

Presumably nobody in the field died today?

Duxford has far bigger problems than a handful of people in the field.

jon93

Post by jon93 »

eddywinch82 wrote:How are these people able to get to the naughty field ? As fences have been put up to stop people getting in ! Where are the police ? If the show gets stopped because of people being in that field, I will be very angry !

I believe the notice only applies for Saturday and Sunday.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

jon93 wrote:

I believe the notice only applies for Saturday and Sunday.

That's correct according to the pictures from the first post.

helired3

Post by helired3 »

they had a practice on how to deal with anybody in the Field's today :biggrin:

Image_DSC7104 -1a by ian harris, on Flickr
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

Every year the same old propaganda ,its going to be stopped if people are in the field ,,,, maybe if there were a few thousand but not for a hundred or so. :dizzy:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

Oh, do pipe down.

Presumably nobody in the field died today?

Duxford has far bigger problems than a handful of people in the field.

What is your beef with Duxford, Dan? I get the bitterness with RIAT but wonder if there is a show venue you actually like?