Other (state)
9%
Other (state)
9%

Total votes: 234

Dan O'Hagan

Poll: Reasons why you chose to give Duxford a miss

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Let's see if we can see a pattern emerge. Hugely worrying if enthusiasts are giving Duxford such a cold shoulder.

FTS

Re: Poll: Reasons why YOU chose to give Duxford a miss

Post by FTS »

Shame there was no option to select all of the top 7 :lol:
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

Cambridge Flyer

Post by Cambridge Flyer »

Advanced Ticketing for me, although cost a very close second!
I only live a few minutes away, and I only know the week before if I can attend.

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

I note there is no options for "I did not give Duxford a miss", or "I couldn't make it this time" etc.

The thread is entirely negative. As intended?

The sceptic/cynic in me says this thread is just an excuse to list (yet again) your personal gripes about Duxford, and... I don't know... try to garner some kind of support or validation for your opinion? Create some kind of skewed statistic, using a poll which deliberately excludes all who might disagree?
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Hatstand wrote:I note there is no options for "I did not give Duxford a miss", or "I couldn't make it this time" etc.

The sceptic/cynic in me says this thread is just an excuse to list (yet again) your personal gripes about Duxford, and... I don't know... try to garner some kind of support or validation for your opinion? Create some kind of skewed statistic, using a poll which deliberately excludes all who might disagree?

Erm, no. Clearly plenty chose to give the show a miss. This explores the reasons why.

Perfectly clear and straightforward.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Working,albeit from home

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The past few years the shows have been very very similar, would like to see a reshuffle next year!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Only things which stop me from going to Duxford are Work and living in Scotland distance to travel but sometime will hopefully travel down either for a show or a Museum Visit.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Couldn't really make it this time due to exam timetables - may have done if certain items had turned up as originally booked (not the fault of the organisers I hasten to add!

I must say that the unknowns regarding the effect of CAA regs also played a major part in whether or not I attended this time round.

I really am quite gutted for Duxford - looking at the low visitor numbers apparent from photographs on Twitter. Lineup looked semi-decent and the weather doesn't seem to have been all that bad?

I would say a combination of factors, more or less entirely out of Duxford's control.
Last edited by JJC on Sat 28 May 2016, 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Tim Laurence

Post by Tim Laurence »

If I could have chosen more than one option, I would have also included the dictatorship style closing of Grange Road and the fields. I chose the CAA regulations farce. RIP Duxford.
@timlaurencephotography

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Personally have given Duxford a miss for about 10 years. Used to go to Legends throughout the 90's and early 2000's but its just now too expensive, £50+ for a day out is too much. Not just Duxford though, now only go to RIAT on departures day.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Hatstand wrote:I note there is no options for "I did not give Duxford a miss", or "I couldn't make it this time" etc.

Erm, no. Clearly plenty chose to give the show a miss. This explores the reasons why.

Erm, no. What does 'plenty' mean? Without a positive option all you have is a number of people who feel strongly enough to express a negative opinion, but with a number attached to those who feel strongly enough to say they went you get a much stronger argument IF your overall view is reflected, but then again having seen every single view you have expressed in this argument being accompanied by a ludicrously over the top tabloid press style headline (the current classic is of all advance-ticket shows being a 'cancer') I do wonder if hatstand has a point.
Last edited by Tomahawk on Sat 28 May 2016, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Haven't been Duxford for a year or three. General cost complied with only a few hours flying. Just not worth the drive from Stoke.

And now paying for parking, the organisers must be on something. :facepalm:

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

I live less than ten miles away and get a free ticket for each show. Despite that as often as not I don't bother going. However I quite often go on the Friday before a show (maybe one time in two).

None of your reasons really fits for me.

I prefer Old Warden, despite it being three times as far and I have to pay (SVAS rates).

AFC

Post by AFC »

Tomahawk wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:

Erm, no. What does 'plenty' mean? Without a positive option all you have is a number of people who feel strongly enough to express a negative opinion, but with a number attached to those who feel strongly enough to say they went you get a much stronger argument IF your overall view is reflected, but then again having seen every single view you have expressed in this argument being accompanied by a ludicrously over the top tabloid press style headline (the current classic is of all advance-ticket shows being a 'cancer') I do wonder if hatstand has a point.

Im with Dan on this one, the other option covers any reasons why you decided not to go. As for an 'I didn't give Duxford a miss' option, well that wouldn't be relevant in a thread asking why you didn't go to Duxford.....

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

AFC wrote:Im with Dan on this one, the other option covers any reasons why you decided not to go. As for an 'I didn't give Duxford a miss' option, well that wouldn't be relevant in a thread asking why you didn't go to Duxford.....

Feel free to join Dan's "Trumpesque" crusade, just pointing out that whilst no-one is happy with the current air show situation there are some on here that don't see the need to indulge in the same type of sensationalist tactics we all condemned when the tabloid press were using them last year. Seeing an argument actually using the term that it must be OK because "no one died" is one of many that have concerned me recently as has using the term "post Andy Hill" rather than "post Shoreham" . As I said, Hatstand may have a point.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Definitely an 'other'!

Feel free to call me a plonker but at the time we decided to book tickets I firmly believed that I'd be at Wembley today watching Ipswich win promotion...alas that didn't happen! So will be there tomorrow instead :biggrin:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Interesting to see no one (yet) has given the parking charge a vote...how strange after all the ranting and raving the past few months... :dunno: :heyhey:
This poll is so predicable I'll bet someone now does...
...Rad shutters auto.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Duxford has been going downhill for years! Admission cost's, underwhelming almost identical shows year on year.Short flying display.And to add insult to injury they now charge for parking.They lost me when the Autumn airshow ended.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

I haven't voted as I will be attending tomorrow.
As much as I think that in the case of Duxford the advance ticket policy is unnecessary especially for one of their 'standard shows' , and the parking charge is a 'p+*^-take ' I still want to support the show and more specifically the operators .
However, if any other business had the IWM's current attitude to its customers I would take my custom elsewhere.

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

Although I had my concerns, I wanted to try a foreign show and as I have family in Poznan it made sense.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

It appears that the poll should have another section. Still going despite the attempts to make EVERYTHING negative.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

TKK 140 wrote:It appears that the poll should have another section. Still going despite the attempts to make EVERYTHING negative.

The poll is clearly not aimed at you then, is it? It's attempting to canvass opinion on which reason(s) people that didn't go today chose not to go.

If the poll was "why don't you use park and ride?", would you complain that those who do use park and ride are being ignored? The question is aimed at those that didn't attend - not those that did. Is it that difficult a concept? :dunno: :dizzy:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

As I said several posts back I am attending so the poll doesn't apply to me but I can still see the value of the poll.
It will be interesting to see what results are thrown up amongst the enthusiasts.
If you were somehow able to canvass 'joe public' , that is members of the airshow crowd who don't fit the enthusiast profile so probably families with children, you would most likely find they have been kept away by the ticket only policy.
On the flip side and in the best traditions of Alan Partridge, I could probably describe myself by saying " I hate the general public" and I may enjoy a reduced crowd tomorrow free from unruly children and chav parents ,but without their custom Duxford won't have much of a future.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

I will be missing DX tomorrow due to the new regulations and I have voted as such. This has vastly reduced the photo opportunities and I am sure a vote for the lack of photo opportunities is linked to the new regs.

Martin Eames