Albrighton Cricket & Tennis Club - CLOSED 2016

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Timc

Albrighton Cricket & Tennis Club - CLOSED 2016

Post by Timc »

For those people wishing to view the Air Show from Albrighton Cricket & Tennis Club....Forget it!

I'll leave others to ponder and comment! :smile:

ImageIMG_20160528_190540 (1) by Tim Croton, on Flickr

JonG96

Re: Albrighton Cricket & Tennis Club - CLOSED 2016

Post by JonG96 »

I usually go Albrighton FC and Bowling Club, hopefully that doesn't see the same outcome.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Of course it will. Are they going to relocate Albrighton for the day? Jesus H Corbett, when will this nonsense end?
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

So, Cosford have leaned on the cricket club.

How on earth can Totterdown and others now remain open during RIAT, another MAA show?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The shows have no legal powers to force the third parties to close their sites. All they can do is a) offer money and/or b) point out in black and white that the liability should the worst happen is with them.

It's clear that one of these or both has convinced the club not to open.

If Totterdown et al have decided to stay open for whatever reason there isn't much the organisers can do about it.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Does make you think what possible "financial" incentive was on the table?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Timc wrote:Does make you think what possible "financial" incentive was on the table?

Presumably something akin to whatever the club normally takes on the day :dunno:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I doubt that Cosford Air Show would have sufficient unallocated funds sloshing about that they could start 'buying out' organisations who had previously piggy backed on their show with secondary crowd sites where they charged admittance.

More likely imo that Cosford (or there representatives) explained the potential legal pickle someone charging admittance to a viewing site might find themselves in the event of there being an incident where someone was killed/ injured as the result of a crash. I would imagine most village cricket clubs are living a fairly hand to mouth existence and they wouldn't be in the position to compensate someone for being unable to work for 20-30 years, for example.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Well if the cricket club is directly under the flying display, good luck on getting any photos on the day. Definitely not buying ticket for Cosford this year.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

The cricket club's 1km from the crowdline. This is so ridiculous, it's getting funny!!

Private Custard

For those that don't know, each coloured block on the map below is 100m.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Apologies Private Custard but I've nicked your screen grab and added the approximate crowd v display line from last year!

As you say, judging by this, the Cricket Club is nowhere near, infact it could be argued that you are far safer in that location than inside the show?!

However, for this year perhaps the display line has been moved further back on the recommendations of a certain Aerobatic Team directly over the Cricket pitch for their display at least?

If that's the case it runs pretty much over the most populated area of Albrighton!? Strange but true! :shock:

ImageCos by Tim Croton, on Flickr

Private Custard

No problem, steal away!

This year appears to be a contest among organizers, as to who can appease the CAA the most, regardless of how ridiculous the end result may be. Sledgehammer, meet walnut!

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

As Tim C has pointed out Aircraft from the show will be flying over the most populated bit of Albrighton so have the local pubs had to close ? Are local residents being informed of the dangers of sitting in there gardens on show day ? What about the information signs on the M54 will they be changed to highlight the dangers ? All seems a bit ridiculous really. IMO the cricket club must have been influenced financially not to open on there best day for profit all year.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I have a heard a rumour that the Cricket Club have been advised/warned not to open because they risked getting the Flying Display stopped.

Private Custard

If the pilots displaying can't keep their aircraft within 1km of the display line, maybe it's them that have the problem. Seriously, how far is this lunacy going to go before the entire thing collapses under the weight of its own bovine faecal matter?
Last edited by Private Custard on Tue 31 May 2016, 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Bit of a Bonus for Wellesbournes' Wings & Wheels 2016 then? Can't see any reason to drive past a live Vulcan to attend the Cosford 'Duck-fest' !! :butt:
(Dat fingers...I meant to type 'F'......!! )

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

1) The Display Lines have not been altered. We operate the system as per RA2335 and always have done.
2) All aircrew documents instruct pilots to avoid overflight of the town of Albrighton.
3) We have ribbons diagrams from the flying display items, so I think we're best placed to judge where aircraft will be flying over.

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

PeterR wrote:1) The Display Lines have not been altered. We operate the system as per RA2335 and always have done.
2) All aircrew documents instruct pilots to avoid overflight of the town of Albrighton.
3) We have ribbons diagrams from the flying display items, so I think we're best placed to judge where aircraft will be flying over.

That seems fair enough, could or would you comment on the reasoning behind the cricket club closure?

cheers
Ben

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

I for one am glad that the cricket club is closing. I believe that the local economy should benefit form the show but not in a way that takes potential customers away form the show. The cricket club along with places like Totterdown and rhymes are all shamefully taking customers away form the shows concerned. I would be interested to know if any of these donates any of their profits to the shows. I don't suppose the cricket club would appreciate somebody setting up a grandstand in the next field and charging punters a little bit less to watch the cricket.
This is even before we get to the safety aspects. Even if the display line is well clear of the club the holding area and turning area may well be very close to the club. The aftermath of Shoreham will run and run, and every effort will be made to make our airshows as safe as possible (not that they weren't before). If this means closing the cricket club so be it!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

kevinc

Post by kevinc »

Are David Austin roses opening there car park to view the show ? They are right under display .if not will they be forced to close the garden center that is open to the public ?

RS2

Post by RS2 »

On show day David Austin normally operate something like a £30 deposit when you park which is then credited against your bill at the till to stop their car park being full of spectators rather than shoppers.

kevinc

Post by kevinc »

Not sure about that last year they were charging to get into car park and people set up picnic tables to watch display soon after sign went up to say car park full . People were there for show !! Anyway are they now closed for day if cricket club put people in danger what about people visiting the garden center is it not the same ..

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

alpha586 wrote:I for one am glad that the cricket club is closing. I believe that the local economy should benefit form the show but not in a way that takes potential customers away form the show. The cricket club along with places like Totterdown and rhymes are all shamefully taking customers away form the shows concerned. I would be interested to know if any of these donates any of their profits to the shows. I don't suppose the cricket club would appreciate somebody setting up a grandstand in the next field and charging punters a little bit less to watch the cricket.
This is even before we get to the safety aspects. Even if the display line is well clear of the club the holding area and turning area may well be very close to the club. The aftermath of Shoreham will run and run, and every effort will be made to make our airshows as safe as possible (not that they weren't before). If this means closing the cricket club so be it!

Cosford sold out last year, do you expect everyone who didn't get in to close their eyes and not look? :ninja: :dunno:

RIAT is now sold out every year, nothing to see here, only rare fast jets displaying, Vulcan with the Red Arrows, move along, nothing to see....... :roll:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

kevinc

Post by kevinc »

I cant see as posted earlier that if a accident did occur how can the cricket club be responsible.
They are having there open day !!there is no mention on there posters that its for the air show .And god forbid a plain did come down and there were casualtys is it not the airshows fault for having the show the same day as there open day ...How inconsiderate for the air show to pick the same day as cricket club to hold there airshow !!!!