American Air Show 28-29 May

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
aaron0288

Re: American Air Show 28-29 May

Post by aaron0288 »

That's another good point. The warbirds were so slow. Bring back the Yak-3 from last year. The best Warbird display I've ever seen. It looked and sounded magnificent.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I agree, the Aircraft were all flying slower to some extent, and I did miss the looping maneouvers and topsides that used to be customary, with WW2 Warbirds at Duxford Airshows. The TFC Spitfire VB EP120 did loop, but at a significantly higher altitude. I still enjoyed the Airshow though. I especially love all the various engine sounds, Merlins, Radials etc.
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Mon 30 May 2016, 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

wepmob2000

Post by wepmob2000 »

It would be interesting to see any photos anyone took of the flying with the crowd in the foreground, so those who weren't there could make an attempt to judge for themselves. Thinking back to my experiences of Flying Legends however, the Yak display was very much more dynamic than most other displays (Joker aside).

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I went on Sat and it was clear that the home team warbirds took a very different approach to the previous years.
Aeroplanes such as the Corsair, such a beast of an aircraft, were nailed on to do a looping and half Cuban routine in past seasons. Those days are over. Sedate passes with wing overs at each end. Not necessarily all bad but just not as engaging as a spectacle. Does anyone know if the new regs have caused the change of approach? Can only recall a spit looping during the whole afternoon, and that was very high up? Or perhaps the BBMF looped too, not sure...

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

I had an enjoyable day and watched from the FoD area.
Highlight for me was the Typhoon and I thoroughly enjoyed the Reds and was highly impressed by the BBMF Spit XVI's roll rate !
There were several acts I used for stall browsing and lav breaks though.
I was impressed by the revamped AAM but glossed over the inclusion of a display about the Greenham peace women, yes I know it's part of history but it's a movement I'd rather forget about.

The greatly reduced crowd numbers were worse than I envisioned (8000 yesterday) and talking with a well known author and Duxford regular he was adamant the all ticket policy was to blame followed by the uninspiring line up, as he said, what happened to the Spitfires 80th Anniversary for a theme?
The only benefit of the ticket farce was the ability to just get in the car and go from the car park.
That all said , I had a great day to help me forget the long winter...........shame I had to turn my neighbours requests to join me down this morning due to no available tickets !

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Says a lot when the best acts at Duxford are RAFAT and a Typhoon, doesn't it...

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Sunday Highlights and Lowlights:
HL
- Being able to go into the museum whilst waiting for the show to start - very very helpful
- Just the roar of the Mustangs and BF-109's taking off :biggrin:
- Red Bull Matadors
- RAF Typhoon - Best ever Typh Display!
- Bronco/Skyvan Formation
- 2x C-47's with Band of Brothers music - very poignant and moving
- Red Arrows - Really close and low in second half!
LL
- I felt that having to pay to go in each open aircraft on static was a bit silly

That's it! Really well-organised show, barely a second of a gap between displays!
Nikon D500

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Yes the Two Dakota's displaying with accompanying music was very moving. The Mustangs taking off always makes me smile so loud ! I don't where to look ! with Aircraft holding, taxying and displaying all at the same time, it's marvelous I love it !

Normannis

Post by Normannis »

Just to and more fuel to the flames,I saw an individual get in without a ticket Saturday..He presented a car parking pass to the kiosk,where the woman explained it was not a ticket.After a few moments of remonstrating all round the the woman shrugged her shoulders and let him pass.! I suspect the woman arrived at the quite understandable conclusion there was no way to turn thsis guys vehicle around against the flow of traffic!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
And Park & Ride was £2.70 per adult. For mum & dad, it'd be 40p less to park at the show! Barmy!

Trumpington parking is £1 a car with the bus in free. I have used it the last 4 times I have been toa show at Duxford.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Johnhill

Post by Johnhill »

I want to Duxford school on Saturday with my young daughter (I can't imagine taking her to the show, too much waiting time for an impatient 3 year old), patrouille de france went right over the playground next to the school several times and at pretty low level, absolutely fab.

Other aircraft were quite distant from the school but Sally B and the Dakotas were clearly visible and very much enjoyed seeing those.
At the tea tent there were lots of folks chewing the fat and having a right whinge about not being able to cross Hunts Road to get into the fields to the east of M11 or onto Grange Road.

We left the school just before 5 and drove just past the Pet Crematorium on the A505 and pulling in to a patch of waste land to wait for the Typhoon, lots of folks there parked up with cars, Typhoon was amazing as always, coming from behind us the noise was a bit of a surprise to my daughter.

I think with the changes to display lines etc, Duxford could do with booking a few more fast jets, even if they are further away they still make a good spectacle because of the noise and speed, just my thoughts

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Lots of comments on the IWM Dux Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/iwm.duxford

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Pen Pusher wrote:Lots of comments on the IWM Dux Facebook page.

Brian

Some brutal assessments.

The IWM can't bury their heads in the sand over this. An unmitigated disaster.

It will be interesting to see if/when September tickets go on sale, given the reports that a review of the May show might conclude that this was the last IWM show.

If it was, talk about going out with a whimper.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Does anyone know, why the T-28 Fennec didn't display yesterday ?

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
It will be interesting to see if/when September tickets go on sale, given the reports that a review of the May show might conclude that this was the last IWM show.

Either 4th or 6th June was being quoted. Leaflet mentions "limited availability" which no doubt you will read more into than was intended.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The catering contractors mentioned in Facebook were different from those which attended in the past. I walked past the Fish/Chip stall outside 2 hangar in the morning and Fish/Chips/Mushy Peas were £7.50 I thought lunch sorted. Come lunchtime and it was £8. I just had a portion of chips at £3 instead. It was sandwiches on Sunday.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Pen Pusher wrote:The catering contractors mentioned in Facebook were different from those which attended in the past. I walked past the Fish/Chip stall outside 2 hangar in the morning and Fish/Chips/Mushy Peas were £7.50 I thought lunch sorted. Come lunchtime and it was £8. I just had a portion of chips at £3 instead. It was sandwiches on Sunday.

Brian

£2.50 for a cup of coffee. Disgraceful.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Harvo266 wrote:Sunday Highlights and Lowlights:
HL
- Being able to go into the museum whilst waiting for the show to start - very very helpful
- Just the roar of the Mustangs and BF-109's taking off :biggrin:
- Red Bull Matadors
- RAF Typhoon - Best ever Typh Display!

- Bronco/Skyvan Formation
- 2x C-47's with Band of Brothers music - very poignant and moving
- Red Arrows - Really close and low in second half!
LL
- I felt that having to pay to go in each open aircraft on static was a bit silly

That's it! Really well-organised show, barely a second of a gap between displays!

It was good, but best ever? :question:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

And no disrespect to IWM Duxford, i've been going for the past 12 years but it was the worst airshow i've been since Manston in 2013 :dunno:
I also thought because the aircraft were so far away. they sounded a lot more quite!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Brian

Interesting reading. One very upset villager on there...

YET AGAIN, it's this time of year where all the duxford villagers get the nightmare traffic coming in, endless people parking in our village, no one STOPS people from parking in unsensible places but we all still but up with the chaos it causes 5 times a year every year!!

In all the above I have mentioned and as I stress again we do put up with this every year without no choice, What annoys me and what I have witnessed today and shocked me more then anything is one of YOUR security guys which I may add our NEW to duxford air field STOPPED a duxford resident from walking their dog down a public footpath where most duxford residents walk there dogs down everyday and he was giving NO explanation!!! This is an outrage. Don't come in the village at start ordering the rules!!

I would absolutely love to hear your response and a letter will be sent to you today regarding this!!
Kind regards
Another angry duxford resident

-----------------

I absolutely agree with safety but it's not right for the local residents from having freedom of their own village.. Correct me if I am wrong???

-----------------

I'm annoyed because they should not expect to come in to duxford village and put there forced rules down!! Have you seen grange road also?? No one even went up there yesterday because everywhere your turn there was security up your arse, they have also fenced up everything so you can't possibly sit and anyone who lives in duxford as much as we all love a good airshow, would sit up grange road with a picnic, family and friends, enjoying the sun but no that security has ruined that now!! It looks like prison up there! And stopping people from having the freedom of there own village!! I say no more!!
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Flare Path wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:The catering contractors mentioned in Facebook were different from those which attended in the past. I walked past the Fish/Chip stall outside 2 hangar in the morning and Fish/Chips/Mushy Peas were £7.50 I thought lunch sorted. Come lunchtime and it was £8. I just had a portion of chips at £3 instead. It was sandwiches on Sunday.

Brian

Well bring your own!

A pack of ten individual coffee filters is about £2.50 for a leading brand name of £2 for Tesco's own. A flask of hot water costs maybe 2p in electricity. Probably a lot better coffee too!

£7.50 spent in the M&S Simply Food on you way to the show (less than a mile from IWM) will buy you a decent lunch - or you can do if for a lot less if you wish.

Large Waitrose almost next door to the Trumpington Park and Ride.

If everybody does that the catering arrangement will soon change.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

Brian

Some brutal assessments.

The IWM can't bury their heads in the sand over this. An unmitigated disaster.

If it was, talk about going out with a whimper.

I must have missed the report that it might be the last ever show, will you point me in the direction where I canfind it please,
MTIA
Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

Brian

Well bring your own!

A pack of ten individual coffee filters is about £2.50 for a leading brand name of £2 for Tesco's own. A flask of hot water costs maybe 2p in electricity. Probably a lot better coffee too!

£7.50 spent in the M&S Simply Food on you way to the show (less than a mile from IWM) will buy you a decent lunch - or you can do if for a lot less if you wish.

Large Waitrose almost next door to the Trumpington Park and Ride.

If everybody does that the catering arrangement will soon change.

Well said !
I can't fathom why anyone would willingly buy their food at an airshow, queues, extortionate prices and disgusting accurately describes the experience.
I always take a packed lunch and the only exception to that rule was when I attended the USAFE shows.

Ironically the caterers have also been hit by the all ticket policy because your average last minute punter wouldn't have time necessarily to prepare anything ,relying instead on the tasteless overpriced fare on offer inside the show.
I'm glad those caterers are getting a kicking, they are the same whether you go to festivals, motor racing or most outdoor events.

PS Those coffee filter thingies are great by the way!

timuss

Post by timuss »

The burgers that the IWM people were cooking by the band area were lovely though :drool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

southyorkshireman

Post by southyorkshireman »

Whilst I enjoyed the show yesterday, it was certainly not up to previous shows. Things were noticeably further away and much of the flying seemed tame. The 'formation' of the P51s and Sally B were massively apart. The P51s vs Buchons was underwhelming by usual Duxford resident standards. The real disapointments were the GWDT. The distances they flew at made them too distant to hold interest (my wife's comments, these guys are usually guaranteed to sell a show to her) and with no offence to Pete Kynsey, the cosmic wind was a waste of time. Maybe exceptions can be applied for for some of these types otherwise I think Duxford is now wasted on them.

The Matadors seemed to make better use of the space available so wasn't so much of an issue from a viewing point of view but I am not expecting anything exciting photography wise (I was using a 600mm) I have been taking my images from the M11 end for years (we usually meet up with my parents, as my Mum is in a wheelchair they like to watch the display from near where they park up) but my favourite shots of aircraft coming around the Hangar seem to be over. It was noticeably quiet. It was the first airshow my in-laws had also been to and it was quite awkward trying to justify why we had arrived at 8am when it was so quiet all day!

Highlights for me were the Bronco and Skyvan display and the Osprey's departure!

The other big disappointment was the catering. The new layout in both restaurant / cafes is really not suited to the airshow footfall. My wife is a coeliac, and whilst she never generally assumes suitable food will be available, Duxford had been pretty good over the past few years, usually being able to get items from the cooked breakfast in the morning and a jacket potato at lunch. Neither are available now and working in the catering industry she does not trust from experience the mobile vans to properly prevent contamination if they have suitable options on offer. Looks like we will be back to packed lunch for the next one.

We have already booked tickets for Legends, so will go, but will be holding off booking for September (apparently on sale from beginning of June and now branded 'meet the fighters' rather than 80th anniversary of the Spitfire?)