Grange Rd Duxford fences and closure notice - pics attached

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
C24

Re: Grange Rd Duxford fences and closure notice - pics attac

Post by C24 »

Dan, your post reminds me of the story told to me by a colleague in the BC forest. We were cutting our way to a crash site and I asked about bears.

"It's ok, I'm fitter than you & can run faster! ".

Just wait until you come up against a 'bored security man in a high visibility jacket' who is bigger than you.

Soon be Show Time, great weather. The Show must go on. :smile:
C24.

"There is no go round in a glider".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Trenchard wrote:I can't however understand how you can selectively apply an order to one area and not the other :dunno:

Has the flying display started yet ?
If not , chances are they're taking the sensible approach and not closing the road until nearer the time the displays commence ?
( Assuming your comment refers to your earlier post aout Hunts Road still being open )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Trenchard wrote:I can't however understand how you can selectively apply an order to one area and not the other :dunno:

Has the flying display started yet ?
If not , chances are they're taking the sensible approach and not closing the road until nearer the time the displays commence ?

or maybe they are waiting to see if the public take a sensible approach and don't stand under the approach and only close the road if that's the case rather than inconvenience the non airshow locals

andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Trenchard

Post by Trenchard »

Pleasure flying has been constant all morning and there are people in the fields already, east of the M11, and have been for a couple of hours.

C24

Post by C24 »

A light aircraft at about 2000' has just finished off a series of " high energy manoeuvres " with a roll.

Only over a small group of houses called Langham. Safety first.
C24.

"There is no go round in a glider".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/

Trenchard

Post by Trenchard »

Display starts - Hunts Lane still open.

When is an order not an order :dunno:

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

People on the mound during the first half of the display.

I was sitting in prime position on the top of the tank bank directly opposite the mound with my binoculars!

There were around eight people there for probably 45 mins to an hour before a guy in a yellow jacket attempted to move them on. Another chap in yellow stood some distance away but he seemed more interested in taking his own photos!

Eventually the people were persuaded to leave, which they did in dribs and drabs, but took as long as possible about it. Four of them continued to watch and take photos from about fifty yards to the west. One mound user seemed to hide himself in the undergrowth and I though for a while the yellow guy had missed him.

As I predicted, flying didn't stop.

I only took a point and shoot camera but for what it is worth......

https://goo.gl/photos/sXwyiFQWymwAeMHp7

Sorry, I am too stupid to know how to post the image here, perhaps somebody can do it for me!

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Is their a physical barrier between the mound and the airfield?

Thoughtful_Flyer

Comet102 wrote:Is their a physical barrier between the mound and the airfield?

I don't think so.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:

I don't think so.

There are no barriers on the southern boundary - the airfield starts where the grass is cut basically.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Thoughtful_Flyer

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:

I don't think so.

There are no barriers on the southern boundary - the airfield starts where the grass is cut basically.

Which can't exactly help the situation!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Why? There are fences at Fairford and there are vastly greater numbers outside the perimeter there. People were never gathered on the airfield, so what difference would a fence make?

The action they've taken today clearly solved the problem. Whether or not its financially viable to keep closing roads and paying for security if crowds remain as thin as they were today is the question.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

Pen Pusher wrote:There are people on Grange Road but they are all wearing high-viz jackets.

Brian

Persistent freeloaders........there's your answer, buy yourself a hi viz jacket, gain a few hundred pounds and look like you'd get out of breath climbing stairs and 'hey presto' !........you can pass yourself off as a stereotypical security guard and enjoy your normal free show in the naughty field :cuppa:

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

OK Call me a Rules Laywer,

But the order clearly prohibits anything going along the Road.

However there is a really nice grass verve and a footpath on the bridge.

These though near to the road are clearly not a road.

And though I guess why the restriction is in place is there anything in b&w saying this is due to CAA regulations?

I was "inside" yesterday and aprat from a really wet day I have nver seen (on a Flying Day) Duxford so empty.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Whether or not its financially viable to keep closing roads and paying for security if crowds remain as thin as they were today is the question.

if they carry on with the ridiculous £5 parking charge then it may well make it viable...(I am guessing there was no was no difference to the marshalling or anything parking related that the £5 could be attributed to)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Hurricane wrote:OK Call me a Rules Laywer,
But the order clearly prohibits anything going along the Road.
However there is a really nice grass verve and a footpath on the bridge.
These though near to the road are clearly not a road.

Roads are usually classed as 'hedge to hedge'.....so in this case , it's effectively bridge parapet to bridge parapet.
As such , anything between these boundaries is classed as being part of the roadway.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

We arrived a little after 11am yesterday. And were directed from the Royston End all the way to park near the Royal Angllian's Mermorial.
When we left just before the Typhoon, the area behind the Land Warfare was almost empty.
And yes no reason for the £5 extra charge.
Noticably VERY quiet. Which of course will mean the stall holders will not be happy, and expect to be charged less for a pitch if that continues.

I spoke to a few people in the Friends area and not all but some I was quite surprised how upset they were that people watch for free.

Given the locals (which I am) have to put up with severe (usually) traffic disruption 6 days a year, and my experience is a significant number at the back road are local, a freebie to me seems reasonable. But hey I'm not wanting to start an argument.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Hurricane wrote:Given the locals (which I am) have to put up with severe (usually) traffic disruption 6 days a year, and my experience is a significant number at the back road are local, a freebie to me seems reasonable. But hey I'm not wanting to start an argument.

I know your not wanting to start an argument, but 6 days a year disruption is nothing. I also feel it's a poor excuse not to pay to go in. By your reasoning does that mean every village, town or city that gets extra traffic flow due to an event and it disrupts the locals, should they then get freebies?.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:Given the locals (which I am) have to put up with severe (usually) traffic disruption 6 days a year, and my experience is a significant number at the back road are local, a freebie to me seems reasonable. But hey I'm not wanting to start an argument.

I know your not wanting to start an argument, but 6 days a year disruption is nothing. I also feel it's a poor excuse not to pay to go in. By your reasoning does that mean every village, town or city that gets extra traffic flow due to an event and it disrupts the locals, should they then get freebies?.

RIAT hand out a lot of free tickets to locals for this very reason. Not unusual to keep the locals sweet.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
RIAT hand out a lot of free tickets to locals for this very reason. Not unusual to keep the locals sweet.

People living in the nearby villages to Duxford can (or certainly could) get a free pass to the museum site, although I'm not sure if that included airshows. A colleague of mine, with no interest whatsoever in aviation, used hers regularly so her kids could go on the playground outside the visitor centre.

The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

I believe that next year the airshow organisers intend to seek a court order so that residents of Duxford and surrounding farms are subject to a dawn to dusk curfew and blackout so that they can not watch the air display fronm their garden or out of their windows.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

The Red Baron wrote:I believe that next year the airshow organisers intend to seek a court order so that residents of Duxford and surrounding farms are subject to a dawn to dusk curfew and blackout so that they can not watch the air display fronm their garden or out of their windows.

And how will they enforce that then? The logistics of doing so appear virtually impossible and Duxford village is in a no fly zone anyway. Please post a link as to where you read it
MTIA
Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I believe The Red Baron may well have been posting in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

And how will they enforce that then? The logistics of doing so appear virtually impossible and Duxford village is in a no fly zone anyway. Please post a link as to where you read it
MTIA
Andy

Wow! Some people are as serious as an Air-show accident!! :facepalm: