Fly Navy Day - 5th June 2016

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
ted633

Re: Fly Navy Day - 5th June 2016

Post by ted633 »

Haven't been to old warden for a number of years (pre photography days), but have been to other 'smaller' shows (biggin, Dunsfold etc). Really enjoyed today and in all honesty, aircraft seemed no more distant than at the other shows I've been to. In fact, some of them seemed a good deal closer (seafire, sea vixen). I was a bit concerned about the display distances before going, but if that is the flying according to the new rules, then there is nothing to worry about. Now to sort the photos out...

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Anyone know who was flying TFC aeroplanes? Did they loop/half Cuban today, unlike DX?

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

That was an immense show. That's going to take some beating for the best show of the season. So many highlights!

benpk1

Post by benpk1 »

As a local (Walking Distance) to OW, I have seen a lot of displays over the years and today's was up there with the best. Wildcat, Corsair and Bearcat tore up the place - although could have done without the whoops from the people behind me, yes they did get fairly low, but no need to whoop. Vixen superb, Wasp blowing the cut grass everywhere also great to see. I was worried after the premier, but today was great. I will say though that as a local (SVAS member btw) sometimes I could be found in the field, but the regs and OW have won and I have been inside for both shows this year.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

UKTopgun wrote:Anyone know who was flying TFC aeroplanes? Did they loop/half Cuban today, unlike DX?

Brian Smith - Bearcat
Pete Kynsey - Corsair
Dave Southwood - Wildcat
Stu Goldspink - Nimrod I
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Is publicising the radio comms a good idea?

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:RNHF flypast before they went home was the pass of the day.

Oh yes indeed !
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

TKK 140 wrote:Is publicising the radio comms a good idea?

They're publicly accessible anyway, anyone can listen in. If they were encrypted it'd be another matter
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Agree with the general drift, a lovely show obviously helped by the great weather, sure to be a season highlight,

on a side note, with all the chat about all ticket displays and will the show sell out etc, I was surprised and disheartened that our tickets were visually checked and then binned. Makes a mockery of the bar code system and opens them up to fraud plus they can't define what a sellout is.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I was told the scan readers were not working otherwise they would have been scanned and they were taken and binned so they couldn't be passed on.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

pbeardmore wrote:I was surprised and disheartened that our tickets were visually checked and then binned. Makes a mockery of the bar code system and opens them up to fraud plus they can't define what a sellout is.

My ticket was scanned, so I'm surprised if yours wasn't...

Edit: Ah, judging from Brian's post, scanners failed after I arrived...
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Tickets were scanned in the traffic lane on my left but not mine, disposing of the tickets once checked is not the point, they can obviously be duplicated beforehand
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

pbeardmore wrote:Tickets were scanned in the traffic lane on my left but not mine, disposing of the tickets once checked is not the point, they can obviously be duplicated beforehand

Yes, but unless you can see into the future, you'd never have known their scanners weren't going to be working and you'd have been taking a risk trying to gain access with duplicate tickets....

They scanned ours FWIW, so you'd also have needed to time your arrival to however long the window was when their scanners were down and be directed to the correct lane. Good luck if you're ever gonna try using a duplicate.

:surrender:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Arrived about 10 and our tickets were all scanned. Have to say, though, regarding TFC, the low passes were beautiful but so much of the displays were wasted in high looping manoeuvres. They'd have had much more impact and been more photogenic keeping low and fast. Other than that enjoyed the lot. Sea Vixen/Sea Hurricane/Seafire formations, Morane, Nimrods, Wasp all excellent and virtually all had pretty obvious Navy links. Well played Shuttleworth. Keep up the good work.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Wissam24 wrote:

They're publicly accessible anyway, anyone can listen in. If they were encrypted it'd be another matter

Yes I am aware, if they choose too. Telling the whole world on this site, those specific points, appears an own goal. :facepalm:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I was rather disappointed that the Seafire III wasn't on the ground at any point.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

TKK 140 wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:

Yes I am aware, if they choose too. Telling the whole world on this site, those specific points, appears an own goal. :facepalm:

That's precisely why I've cleaned up said comments :smile:

Agree Dan, I really wanted a shot of the Seafire on the ground with folded wings.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Pretty tired but an excellent day on the whole - not perfect but considerably superior to the Season Premiere. TFC and Sea Vixen particularly awesome. :up:

Anyone else see the Demon have what looked to be an 'interesting' landing? Glad everything was OK.

MabbottPics

Post by MabbottPics »

Well that was a belter of a show. A 9.5/10!
Good mix of aircraft types, excellent flying, perfect weather (shame it was a touch to windy for the Edwardians) and Old Warden really is a wonderful venue!
I don't think anything came across as filler items everything was there for a reason - I liked that they found links for most aircraft to the theme.
The TFC Aircraft were great, it's nice to see them away from Duxford on mass! I was thinking as I snapped away at the Wildcat in glorious light 'when was the last time I saw this aircraft look so good' when you only see them backlit at Duxford shows you forget about the fact they look so good with the sun the right side of the camera!
Loved the Navy support of the show - especially as the Fleet Air Arm is one branch which seems to still support its own shows well. So to see then throw a bit of weight behind an event at a venue in a very different part of the country to the usual Navy shows was refreshing. Great that the Lynx departed during the show as it added a modern military aircraft to the show.
Well done to everyone involved best £16 I've spent on an aviation related activity in some time!

Matt

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Looks like this will have been one of the shows of the year.

Presumably "Regards, David Mylchreeest" hid under his car, rubbing a rabbit's foot and rosary beads during the Sea Vixen?

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Best arrival award goes to the Scout... less than 60 seconds flight time.
The Lynx and Wasp also threw up a load of grass!
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Looks like this will have been one of the shows of the year.

Presumably "Regards, David Mylchreeest" hid under his car, rubbing a rabbit's foot and rosary beads during the Sea Vixen?

I did see someone wearing a tin foil hat and making Bhuddists chants during the Sea Vixen display. :)

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

A top notch show and reminiscent of the Shuttleworth displays of old. Excellent high energy displays from the Duxford trio and some nice pairings/formations during the day. Certainly got our money's worth out of the Seafire. Superbly well flown and seemed he was going on for ever. And what can you say about the Sea Vixen? Made my day did that. Roll on the Military show. And a big "thumbs up" to the commentator who knew when to keep quiet and let us enjoy the sounds of the aircraft.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Slappywag wrote:TFC trio, whilst a half decent display, were wasted by being so far away. If that's how it's going to be, then they may as well not bother. A few half decent closer passes would have been infinitely better.

They were a darned sight closer than they were at Duxford FFS.

cuban8

Post by cuban8 »

We hadn't been to OW for an airshow since early last year, so we were wondering what we were going to find. We needn't have worried. Perfect weather always helps, (not for the Edwardians, this time though) and we agreed that OW's unique atmosphere hadn't been diluted at all. We arrived at 0945 and despite a published gates open time of 0900, the place was already very busy with the main area full of cars, so we were parked in the area near the Merlin, which wasn't a problem. Our tickets were scanned, so I suppose the issues with that arose later. Access from the entrance to the ticket check point was partly over a lengthy grass area, so goodness knows what a mud bath it might have become had there been heavy rain in the days up to the show (been stuck in mud before at OW).
Since our last visit, the car parking arrangements had been changed, and it was no longer a case of the main area being filled to the gunnels with vehicles, but a considerable area at the front, along the flightline had been kept vacant for spectators, picnickers, etc.
Although a little surprised by this at first, we found a spot to pitch our chairs adjacent to the track down which the vehicle parade entered the flight-line so we had the best of both worlds, and with only a few steps back to the car, we thought the layout to be an improvement to the old arrangements. Perhaps not so good if one arrived later in the morning and was parked in the area nearby the house, or over in the Spinney, so a good idea to arrive early!
As for the flying, to be honest, we really didn't notice that much difference given the new regulations, with the Sea Vixen, Wildcat, Corsair, and Bearcat giving particularly spectacular performances. A few have criticized the distance that the 'planes were flying at , but as far as I'm aware, low passes were no further than the trees near the farm opposite - in fact you could see the shadow of some of the aircraft on the trees as they went by! I like the high looping maneuvers from aircraft that are capable of them - I think the displays were a fair attempt to satisfy everyone's taste.
Every act was good, flying was continuous and the commentator kept his banter to just about the right level to suit everyone. Interesting ground displays, and we also spent half an hour briefly looking at the Swiss Garden, which was wonderful and deserves a separate visit in itself.
Good value for money all round (especially as SVAS members), excellent entertainment as always, no problems with traffic - so very well done Old Warden :clap:
Last edited by cuban8 on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.