Fly Navy Day - 5th June 2016

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Slappywag

Re: Fly Navy Day - 5th June 2016

Post by Slappywag »

King Cobra wrote:
Slappywag wrote:TFC trio, whilst a half decent display, were wasted by being so far away. If that's how it's going to be, then they may as well not bother. A few half decent closer passes would have been infinitely better.

They were a darned sight closer than they were at Duxford FFS.

What's the point in all this high energy stuff with warbirds if it puts them in the realms of dot spotting? Caning it up and down several times closer is infinitely more appealing.

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Slappywag wrote:
King Cobra wrote:
Slappywag wrote:TFC trio, whilst a half decent display, were wasted by being so far away. If that's how it's going to be, then they may as well not bother. A few half decent closer passes would have been infinitely better.

What's the point in all this high energy stuff with warbirds if it puts them in the realms of dot spotting? Caning it up and down several times closer is infinitely more appealing.

Seeing pretty much the pinnacle of piston engined warbirds just doing topside passes would not be a great demonstration of the types power. I love the displays the Bearcat does in anyone's hands, they're just so impressive.

Stop moaning and enjoy it ffs.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Slappywag wrote:
King Cobra wrote:

Is it not the case that if they flew a flat display it would take in 5 counties, they have include some vertical manoeuvers to convert speed to height and keep the display radius reasonable, in much the same way fast jets are flown? The alternative would be flat high G turns at either end?

The commentator did say that the Bearcats display was flown at something like "flight idle", I can't recall the exact phrase.

Phil

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

The show was exceptional and fully understood what it was supposed to do with the theme.

The Sea Vixen and Wasp were outstanding.

I'm in two minds about TFC. While the three aircraft were relevant and the displays themselves flown very well, I felt that the displays hadn't really been tailored at all for this year's regulations. All three felt distant for most of their routines, much like the Seafire at times, and didn't really fit with the feel of Shuttleworth.

I'm probably in the minority but the high energy routines didn't do an awful lot for me yesterday.

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

hmeasures wrote:
Slappywag wrote:
King Cobra wrote:

Seeing pretty much the pinnacle of piston engined warbirds just doing topside passes would not be a great demonstration of the types power. I love the displays the Bearcat does in anyone's hands, they're just so impressive.

Stop moaning and enjoy it ffs.

Why do they need to demonstrate what they used to be capable of? Surely just seeing them presented well would suffice? It's not like the whole business is under scrutiny is it... :roll:

Think you need to grow up a bit and look at the bigger picture, sunshine.

tommercer wrote:I'm in two minds about TFC. While the three aircraft were relevant and the displays themselves flown very well, I felt that the displays hadn't really been tailored at all for this year's regulations. All three felt distant for most of their routines, much like the Seafire at times, and didn't really fit with the feel of Shuttleworth.

I'm probably in the minority but the high energy routines didn't do an awful lot for me yesterday.

Careful, you'll get told off.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

You're not being told off, Slappywag, you're being disagreed with. Learn the difference.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

tommercer wrote:
I'm in two minds about TFC. While the three aircraft were relevant and the displays themselves flown very well, I felt that the displays hadn't really been tailored at all for this year's regulations. All three felt distant for most of their routines, much like the Seafire at times, and didn't really fit with the feel of Shuttleworth.

Totally agree, while I don't have a problem with 'boom and zoom' it would have been nice to have a few topside passes which is what Shuttleworth is renowned for.

Other than that I thought it was a great show, I really like how the Navy theme was used throughout the show. :up:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I got there around 9.00 (although I may never have made it as I was very nearly wiped out on the M27 at about 6.30 on the way up, but that's another story) and I was the last one into the main car park before it was closed.

As most others have said I thought it was an excellent show. I was using my 300mm lens (450 equivalent) and the topside shots that I got may stand a fair amount of cropping in order to get decent prints, but time will tell.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Wissam24 wrote:You're not being told off, Slappywag, you're being disagreed with. Learn the difference.

Disagreement is fine. Difference of opinion is fine.

The 'Stop moaning and enjoy it ffs.' seemed a little more than that, however.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

The Sea Vixen, for me, easily the star of the show. Fantastic display from that aircraft. Thought the Fighter Collection did a great job and the three flypasts at the end in formation, a great touch.

Some displays, personally, felt much further away than others still. Guess that's going to be the case for while as it's only their second big flying event under the new regulations.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Wissam24 wrote:You're not being told off, Slappywag, you're being disagreed with. Learn the difference.

And the repeated use of 'ffs' is hardly necessary in an adult discussion. Everyone should be entitled to their opinion with being sworn at, even if it's a three letter acronym.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Not many places I'd rather be on a glorious summers day. Great show, even better theme.

Sea Vixen, Seafire, Gloster Gladiator and Bearcat the real high points for me - Wasp a funny thing. :grin: :up:

Hope you all had a good time.
Last edited by Flare Path on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Forgot to say as well - seeing as it's seen to infrequently it's easy t forget how manoeuvrable the Swordfish is! Crikey that thing's got a lot of rudder! Great display.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Where do we start, great weather, great aircraft, great venue, much better than the premiere show with less frustrations, but still not as good as it used to be. I don't know if any talks had gone on between the show committee and CAA, but if so, at least they were to our favour.

Great use of what resources we have in the country, both modern and historic to fit into a theme at a show, with little deviation required.

Sea Vixen was great as always, it did look a little closer than I'd have expected under the current regs on the topside, but I'm not going to complain, it rules :king:

Pleased to have at last seen the Nimrods :love: and the Morane was just stunning. :clap: The home fleet were much nearer than in May, although the Anson's lack of proper topsides round the corner still means we're not quite there.

The TFC displays were excellent, Wildcat just sounds fabulous, and I can understand the split opinions here, they are brilliantly flown, but surely at a venue like OW, once the aeros are complete, a topside pass flying round the line can be easily achieved just as the Bearcat proved - perfect. :up: Having seen the Seafire at Cosby last year where it flew perfect crowd pleasing passes, it did struggle a lit bit to ignite the same enthusiasm, its "lengthened" display again would have proved much more popular had it flown a couple of photo passes rather than the same Cuban 8s repeatedly.

Swordfish was most disappointing of all for me personally as it really did stick to its turn away from the crowd routine at the left hand end when it could have easily used the big space and its low speed manoeuvrability to turn back in round the corner with some topside, as its formation departure proved a little later on!

But really they are small niggles on what was a greatly enjoyable show. Some nice visitors as well, smart Stearman and the fabulous Courier bagged. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

capercaillie wrote:But really they are small niggles on what was a greatly enjoyable show. Some nice visitors as well, smart Stearman and the fabulous Courier bagged. :up:

Who turned up in the PC-12. :shock: :grin:

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Slappywag wrote:Why do they need to demonstrate what they used to be capable of? Surely just seeing them presented well would suffice? It's not like the whole business is under scrutiny is it... :roll:

Think you need to grow up a bit and look at the bigger picture, sunshine.

LOL, all 3 were presented well. Fantastically even. On that basis might as well stick them in a museum, no need to demonstrate they used to be able to fly either.

Looking at the bigger picture I've decided to enjoy it for what it is... And to stop moaning about things. They weren't that far away either. Maybe at the the top of the loops though :lol:

At the end of the day this is a matter of opinions. Yes perhaps I would have liked to see the Corsair or Wildcat do a topside in the routine like the Bearcat, but did the lack of one really detract? No - I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Last edited by hmeasures on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

st24

Post by st24 »

Flare Path wrote:
capercaillie wrote:But really they are small niggles on what was a greatly enjoyable show. Some nice visitors as well, smart Stearman and the fabulous Courier bagged. :up:

Who turned up in the PC-12. :shock: :grin:

It's Caper's private transport. He really likes to lord it up at OW.... :king:

Thoughts on my first OW post Shoreham? Fabulous. :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

capercaillie wrote:Some nice visitors as well, smart Stearman and the fabulous Courier bagged. :up:

Also very pleased to see the Stearman, don't think I've seen that one before. The only thing that jarred slightly was the blue helmets, but that's only a minor niggle.

BTW, did anyone else notice the red kite overhead the airfield?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

timuss

Post by timuss »

What more can i say an epic show at Old Warden yesterday so many highlights, the Sea Vixen was outstanding i'm not gonna lie i was whooping quite loudly as she displayed just stunning!!! And Chris Gotke's display in the chippie was very nice as well. Then TFC oh my what an ending to the show the Wildcat display was amazing as was the Bearcat some glorious aerobatics and lovely topside passes Ok so the Corsair didn't topside so what but when its displayed like that who cares!

The Seafire flew an nice display first time i'd seen it display on its own very nice indeed. Shuttleworth should be commended with yesterday's show talk about picking a theme and sticking to it superb :clap: :clap: :clap: More of the same next year please.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

AlexC wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Some nice visitors as well, smart Stearman and the fabulous Courier bagged. :up:

Also very pleased to see the Stearman, don't think I've seen that one before. The only thing that jarred slightly was the blue helmets, but that's only a minor niggle.

Yep, I did, got some great topside shots of it as well :grin:

At one stage there were about 5 flying around, saw a couple of them having a mid-air tussle.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

AlexC wrote:

Shows are under all this CAA scrutiny and some wally goes and flies his kite during the display?!! :whistle:

It'sThePitts

Post by It'sThePitts »

First ever trip to OW so unable to compare to the old days. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole event - gardens, hangers, static and flying. I guess awesome weather (after an overcast start) always helps. Had no issues with the mix of flying. Flypasts, topsides, loops, aerobatics, slow, fast, quiet, noisy, it's all enjoyable fun to me.

I'm no expert with a camera, but I managed to get some great full frame snaps with a 100-400mm. My first attempt at airshow photography so I was quite chuffed with some of the results. Just hope the airshow season continues in this manner, but I guess that is probably wishful thinking on my part! The show yesterday has certainly helped allay some of my fears after the regulation changes, but still early days I suppose.

Throckmorton and Cosford next on the list. :-)
CT
2017: Abingdon, OW Fly Navy, Cosford, Yeovilton, RIAT

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Sounds like a great show, wish I could have been there! Nice to hear some positive comments after a gloomy start to the year.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Airwolfhound wrote:Yep, I did, got some great topside shots of it as well :grin:

At one stage there were about 5 flying around, saw a couple of them having a mid-air tussle.

I'm jealous, I only got an underside shot! :sad: I did notice several together, but the one that I got was a singleton. Must admit that I didn't know that red kites had got as far as Bedfordshire already.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

For those non-twitchers about us, what's so special about a red kite?