Albrighton Cricket & Tennis Club - CLOSED 2016

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
CJS

Re: Albrighton Cricket & Tennis Club - CLOSED 2016

Post by CJS »

Well all shows suffer having to pay it - Cosford, RIAT, the fly in at my local charity event - but it's something they know about in advance so it's factored in and budgeted for. It may mean less to spend on aircraft but it's like buying a car and not then getting the spoiler kit because you hadn't realised you'd have to buy petrol.

My point being (I think, it is early) that you wouldn't get as far as getting your show off the ground (thank you :-P) if you couldn't afford the policing of it (amongst many other costs of course).

(coherency not a strong point at this time in the morning, still only on tea number 2 :-o )
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Albrighton Hunt Club also closed according to the Express and Star.Also states one or two roads closed and no waiting on grass verges/sides of roads.Sounds like any would be freeloaders are not going to get very close at all.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Sounds like any would be freeloaders are not going to get very close at all.

Good. The message airshows should be sending to people is 'Buy a ticket and view from inside or stay at home. End of options list."

st24

Post by st24 »

speedbird2639 wrote:
TYPHOON3 wrote:Sounds like any would be freeloaders are not going to get very close at all.

Good. The message airshows should be sending to people is 'Buy a ticket and view from inside or stay at home. End of options list."

Indeed. Obviously the message if you're at home in Albrighton is "close all windows, doors and curtains as the display aircraft zoom above your house, you tight fisted gits".
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

st24 wrote:Indeed. Obviously the message if you're at home in Albrighton is "close all windows, doors and curtains as the display aircraft zoom above your house, you tight fisted gits".

You missed the bit about "make sure you go in to your basements when the Red Arrows are on, they're clearly unsafe, even the RAF think so!"

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

st24 wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:

Indeed. Obviously the message if you're at home in Albrighton is "close all windows, doors and curtains as the display aircraft zoom above your house, you tight fisted gits".

Why do we always get these rediculous replies when pointing out freeloaders should be stopped? We all know you can't stop people sitting in their own back garden watching the show. It is actually a small price to pay for the locals having to put up with the massive increase in traffic and noise and road closures associated with the show. All we are trying to do is agree with the organisers attempts to stop people who take advantage of all the hard work the team have put in to organising the show. The message is simple if you want to go and see the show buy a ticket and go in!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

st24

Post by st24 »

Just tweaking the nose of absurdity... :surrender:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Timc

Post by Timc »

....And, there's me thinking these road closures were specifically designed to stop secondary crowds building up in the name of safety?

Didn't realise it was to entice people to buy a ticket. Learn something new everyday! :smile:

Maras

Post by Maras »

Can I just ask is Bowling Green Ln will be close for pedestrian?

Shropshirelad

Post by Shropshirelad »

Take a look at an ordinance Survey map and you will see there are a few Public Footpaths in the area ..... can they stop you from walking along these????

Timc

Post by Timc »

Under the Shropshire County Council's road closures for w/c 18th June apart from listing all the roads affected there's this bit:

Access other than vehicular
Pedestrian/dismounted cyclist/dismounted horse riders access through the closure area will be available

Take it this means purely for access but no loitering?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

The garden center is closed also I understand, some loss of trade for the owners.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Is this how it is going to be every year now for all the local businesses on the day of the show?I can't see them shutting up shop year after year, losing trade.I do fear a little for the future of RAF Cosford Air Show.I would imagine Sunday is the busiest day for the likes of David Austin Roses and the Garden Centre.

Timc

Post by Timc »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Is this how it is going to be every year now for all the local businesses on the day of the show?I can't see them shutting up shop year after year, losing trade.I do fear a little for the future of RAF Cosford Air Show.I would imagine Sunday is the busiest day for the likes of David Austin Roses and the Garden Centre.

I suppose it all depends on the level of compensation that has been accepted? Question probably should be is it sustainable for the Show to keep on paying out year after year?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Would not say it would be a busy day with the show on anyway, normal years with it open it would be
less appealing to visit with the heavey traffic around,
the staff could be losing a days pay thou. So yes surrounding business are going to lose out in the future.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

alpha586 wrote:
st24 wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:

Why do we always get these rediculous replies when pointing out freeloaders should be stopped? We all know you can't stop people sitting in their own back garden watching the show. It is actually a small price to pay for the locals having to put up with the massive increase in traffic and noise and road closures associated with the show. All we are trying to do is agree with the organisers attempts to stop people who take advantage of all the hard work the team have put in to organising the show. The message is simple if you want to go and see the show buy a ticket and go in!

Jawohl mein Führer!
But unless you're one of the locals, it's not you who's paying the price.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

AT last!! A 'Confession' by the spokesperson for AWAFS ( Arse-Wipes Against Freeloading Scum).....so it was never about the danger, it's just to get more paying punters through the gate!
I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some reservations about the eager way in which Organisers have embraced the draconian new rules with open-arms.
Nobody wants to see an incident....& God forbid an accident, but the mathematical odds are that at some stage in the future it will happen & possibly involve persons that were assured they were in the 'best possible place'. How will that sit with the sanctimonious preachers on here. Go wash our mouth out!!
Never say NEVER!....when it's your time to go...You Go!!

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Stagger2 wrote:AT last!! A 'Confession' by the spokesperson for AWAFS ( Arse-Wipes Against Freeloading Scum).....so it was never about the danger, it's just to get more paying punters through the gate!
I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some reservations about the eager way in which Organisers have embraced the draconian new rules with open-arms.
Nobody wants to see an incident....& God forbid an accident, but the mathematical odds are that at some stage in the future it will happen & possibly involve persons that were assured they were in the 'best possible place'. How will that sit with the sanctimonious preachers on here. Go wash our mouth out!!
Never say NEVER!....when it's your time to go...You Go!!

On the internet you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

The field at the end of the runway by the railway embankment is advertising that it is open on airshow day. It's a lot closer than the cricket club so makes you wonder. Did see an A4 sized notice on the gate of the farm from the RAF advising to vacate the area when flying displays were under way.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:The field at the end of the runway by the railway embankment is advertising that it is open on airshow day. It's a lot closer than the cricket club so makes you wonder. Did see an A4 sized notice on the gate of the farm from the RAF advising to vacate the area when flying displays were under way.

That same field was packed last year...

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

alpha586 wrote:I for one am glad that the cricket club is closing. I believe that the local economy should benefit form the show but not in a way that takes potential customers away form the show. The cricket club along with places like Totterdown and rhymes are all shamefully taking customers away form the shows concerned. I would be interested to know if any of these donates any of their profits to the shows. I don't suppose the cricket club would appreciate somebody setting up a grandstand in the next field and charging punters a little bit less to watch the cricket.

I camp at Totters and visit the show on a Saturday, reason i camp is i dont want to get up at silly oclock in the morning drive all the way down, sit in traffic to get in , end been sat miles from the front. I take a leisurely drive down on the Friday, pitch up and am set for the weekend. Yes on the Sunday i enjoy seeing the jets a lot closer than in the show, but i dont think a couple of hundred people are going to dent RIATS pockets and as has been said already its SOLD OUT !
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

Shropshirelad

Post by Shropshirelad »

Well I sat in a farmers field about 400-500 yds from the south end of the runway along with about 30 others ... .we all made a contribution to air ambulance and had a great view ..... I could arrive at what ever time I wanted, and was in my car and away within 5 min of packing up.
Oh and by the way .. . there is no charge to watch the cricket.