Weston Super Mare 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
kwebb1

Re: Weston Super Mare 2016

Post by kwebb1 »

Gnat pair added Sat & Sun - excellent stuff!
Last edited by WG655 on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 2)

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Is there anywhere to view the show apart from the sea front ?

vbombers2

Post by vbombers2 »

Brean Down is quite popular or you could try the beach closer to Uphill if you want to avoid the crowds. The display happens along the seafront so you wouldn't see much if you were further back in the town.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

vbombers2 wrote:Brean Down is quite popular or you could try the beach closer to Uphill if you want to avoid the crowds. The display happens along the seafront so you wouldn't see much if you were further back in the town.

Cheers was just looking for somewhere to base the family for the afternoon on the Saturday.

kph100

Post by kph100 »

Looking at online video of Torbay airshow , hope they are a bit closer this weekend.

techniquest

Post by techniquest »

Has the display order and timings been published yet? If so, anyone able to post please?

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Flights
Confirmed Flights
Flights are listed in order of appearance, first flight will take place on both days at 11.39am.

Saturday 18 June 2016
11.30am – 1.30pm

Girl Power Pitts Special
Yak 50 Russian Aerobatic Aircraft
RAF Typhoon
Westland Wasp Classic Helicopter
PBY Catalina Amphibian Sea Plane
BAC Strikemaster Classic Jet Warbird
1.30pm – 3.30pm

Calidus Autogyro
RAF Red Arrows
SBACH extreme aerobatics
Belgian Ballerina (3 vintage stamp bi-planes)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (Spitfire and Hurricane)
3.30pm – 5.30pm

P51 North American Mustang WW2 Fighter
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B
Team Raven Formation Display
Breitling Wing Walking Team
Norwegian Mig 15
Gnat Pair

Sunday 19 June 2016
11.30am – 1.30pm

Girl Power Pitts Special
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (Spitfire and Hurricane)
P51 North American Mustang WW2 Fighter
BAC Strikemaster Classic Jet Warbird
1.30pm – 3.30pm

Yak 50 Russian Aerobatic Aircraft
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B
PBY Catalina Amphibian Sea Plane
Belgian Ballerina (3 vintage stamp bi-planes)
Calidus Autogyro
Team Raven Formation Display
3.30pm – 5.30pm

SBACH extreme aerobatics
Norwegian Mig 15
Gnat Pair
De Havilland Sea Vixen
Breitling Wing Walking Team
Please note that all aircraft are subject to availability and weather conditions. No responsibility can be taken for any cancellations to the flying programme.

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

Specific, individual timings are now listed on the website: https://westonairfestival.wordpress.com/attractions/flights/

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Right have decided to give Cosford a miss this year and instead thinking about going to Weston tomorrow, have seen people recommend Brean Down but is it easy to get too?

seacat192

Post by seacat192 »

Andyperkins wrote:Right have decided to give Cosford a miss this year and instead thinking about going to Weston tomorrow, have seen people recommend Brean Down but is it easy to get too?

One road in, one road out!

Postcode for Brean Down is TA8 2RS. Good sized National Trust car park at the end of the road (free for NT members I believe).

Steep steps up the side of the Fort, or for the easier option, a tarmac road to walk along.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

seacat192 wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:Right have decided to give Cosford a miss this year and instead thinking about going to Weston tomorrow, have seen people recommend Brean Down but is it easy to get too?

Postcode for Brean Down is TA8 2RS. Good sized National Trust car park at the end of the road (free for NT members I believe).

Steep steps up the side of the Fort, or for the easier option, a tarmac road to walk along.

Perfect thanks :smile:

seacat192

Post by seacat192 »

Andyperkins wrote:
seacat192 wrote:

No problem!

Looks like we're changing places - I'll be at Cosford instead of Weston this year :lol: :lol:

Forgot to add, that the tarmac road is on the right hand side as you look at Brean Down. Walk along this road, towards the farm on the posted link, and the pathway up the hill is through a gate just past where the text 'Brean Down Road' on the satellite image ends. I'm sure there will be plenty of others to follow!

Google Earth link: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bre ... d-3.010969

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

seacat192 wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:
seacat192 wrote:

No problem!

Looks like we're changing places - I'll be at Cosford instead of Weston this year :lol: :lol:

Forgot to add, that the tarmac road is on the right hand side as you look at Brean Down. Walk along this road, towards the farm on the posted link, and the pathway up the hill is through a gate just past where the text 'Brean Down Road' on the satellite image ends. I'm sure there will be plenty of others to follow!

I have done Cosford the last 4 years but I just don't fancy the 6 hour round trip and 4:30am start this year.

richyrara

Post by richyrara »

It's a steep walk up either way and you'll want to view from the east end of the down, but note that the display will not be particularly close from there and views of some of the smaller slower aircraft will likely be poor unless they take in the down whilst leaving or running in. That said previous years have given some great views of some jets, like XH558 and the Canberra as they turn overhead during the display.

richyrara

Post by richyrara »

By the way... if anyone uses Flickr I set up a group a few years ago if anyone fancies adding from this weekend :biggrin:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/westonairday/

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Does anyone have any experience with the traffic for Weston? I'll be coming from Bristol and last year took the train but have decided to drive this year. Is arriving 9.30am too late to avoid the build up? I also need to be back by 6.00pm so will miss the last couple of acts. Am I being I over confident leaving at 4.30pm will get me home in time or is the traffic a disaster leaving?

seacat192

Post by seacat192 »

Andyperkins wrote:
seacat192 wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:
seacat192 wrote:

No problem!

I have done Cosford the last 4 years but I just don't fancy the 6 hour round trip and 4:30am start this year.

I'm 'on call' until later today, so not able to venture to Weston, but the coach I'll be be going to Cosford on leaves Taunton at 0545, so looking at a silly o'clock alarm in the morning :dizzy: :dizzy:

Hope everyone at Brean enjoys the day!

Post by 106500 »

Well, my first airshow of the year and perhaps not quite up to the usual Weston standards of the last few years. No shows from Sally B and the Mig15 were a disappointment and the strong onshore wind seemed to keep most displays distant. However, the new Reds display is encouraging and a new Typhoon arrangement was interesting. Vulcan was sadly missed by all but I enjoyed a good if again distant Gnat offering and a rare Strikemaster appearance. All in all rather disappointing not helped by the overcast and cold conditions for most of the day.

jaymer15

Post by jaymer15 »

captainfurious wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the traffic for Weston? I'll be coming from Bristol and last year took the train but have decided to drive this year. Is arriving 9.30am too late to avoid the build up? I also need to be back by 6.00pm so will miss the last couple of acts. Am I being I over confident leaving at 4.30pm will get me home in time or is the traffic a disaster leaving?

Last year we left at about 6:00pm and it took us over a hour to get to the motorway.

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

First Airshow of the year for me too. Reds were very good. Thought the Spitfire and Hurricane were extremely sedate, especially compared to the Mustang. A little disappointed in the Typhoon but imagine not helped by weather.

As for the traffic arrived at 9.40pm and parked easily in street behind the beach. Left 4.30pm. No traffic either way at all! Very impressed!

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Did anyone attend Weston today? Just wondered how it was and if the weather held? Hearing so much on Cosford but very quiet here!

jl151080

Post by jl151080 »

I went to see the BBMF and Mustang yesterday, which were good.

The weather was closing in by the time the Mustang arrived, which had to do a flat display. I left after that, but it was noticeable that it wasn't too busy.

vbombers2

Post by vbombers2 »

I believe all we had on Sunday were;

Girl Power Pitts Special
BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane
P-51
Catalina
Calidus Autogyro
SBACH

Everything else cancelled, presumably due to the poor weather. Foxy was moved up the schedule from around 4pm to 1:45pm but I guess they still couldn't make it. There were still plenty of people on the sea-front but the getaway was a lot easier than last year as I think people were drifting off gradually.

Only 2 weeks to Yeovilton, I hope the unsettled weather doesn't extend until then :-(

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

vbombers2 wrote:I believe all we had on Sunday were;

Girl Power Pitts Special
BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane
P-51
Catalina
Calidus Autogyro
SBACH

Everything else cancelled, presumably due to the poor weather. Foxy was moved up the schedule from around 4pm to 1:45pm but I guess they still couldn't make it. There were still plenty of people on the sea-front but the getaway was a lot easier than last year as I think people were drifting off gradually.

Only 2 weeks to Yeovilton, I hope the unsettled weather doesn't extend until then :-(

Yeovilton has been lucky the last few years so fingers crossed but I don't want a repeat of 2013, damn that was hot lol

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

Had an enjoyable couple of days at the Weston Air Festival and once again another great job by the organisers. :clap:

It's a real shame that the weather pretty much ruined the Sunday show, but kudos to the pilots who managed to get there and display. It seems as if the weather surrounding Weston-Super-Mare was more of the issue than that at the display location itself with three acts grounded due to the weather at their base of RNAS Yeovilton (the Yak-50, Sea Vixen and B-17).

Here's hoping that the show will continue next year and build upon its' success so far. :smile:
My YouTube channel of all sorts (well mostly aviation): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgcEz-y6zzkh6ueBQH6Qvzw