Special Hercules

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
danoz

Special Hercules

Post by danoz »

There's currently 2 C-130J Hercules at RAF Brize Norton sporting 'Special Markings' at present, the first is to celebrate 100 years of 47 Squadron with its crane crest on the fin and the second is to celebrate 50 years of the mighty C-130 in RAF service. Looks like a lot of effort has been put into both design and applying the markings to the fins as its not your typical stickers or wraps.
Get em while you can as there not on for long and if you're attending the spotters/photog day next Sunday then you're in for a real treat.
As always Comments welcome.
ImageLockheed C-130J Hercules C5 - ZH880 - RAF - 47 Sqn by Liam Daniels, on Flickr
ImageLockheed C-130J Hercules C5 - ZH880 - RAF - 47 Sqn by Liam Daniels, on Flickr

ImageLockheed C-130J Hercules C5 - ZH883 - RAF by Liam Daniels, on Flickr
ImageLockheed C-130J Hercules C5 - ZH883 - RAF by Liam Daniels, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Liam

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Special Hercules

Post by Skyflash »

The crane is absolutely magnificent! :clap:

Appreciating that the markings won't be on for very long, what are the chances of seeing one of these beauties at RIAT?
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Skyflash wrote:The crane is absolutely magnificent! :clap:

Appreciating that the markings won't be on for very long, what are the chances of seeing one of these beauties at RIAT?

Highly likely i guess, would even go to say we'll probably see both!

Rick

Post by Rick »

aknott68 wrote:Can I ask what the details are of Brize event next weekend is it still possible to get tickets and what is going to be at the shoe that would be great to know

Check http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=73135
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Great pics :up:

The 47sqn bird with the Demoiselle Crane is a cracker, the 50 years machine isn't too sloppy either. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Nice, very colourful! :clap:
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

st24

Post by st24 »

Lovely. And neither were available for the RAF's premier airshow...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

st24 wrote:Lovely. And neither were available for the RAF's premier airshow...

Wow!....didn't even know about it. Where is this mythical RAF Premier Air-show held?
More importantly, the effort & effect on these 'Specials' is superb. Easily a match for the Chinooks schemes & a/c we can be proud of.
( I pretended to be French when the Puma arrived at TM-2016!! :oops: )

danoz

Post by danoz »

Airshowhammer wrote:
Skyflash wrote:The crane is absolutely magnificent! :clap:

Highly likely i guess, would even go to say we'll probably see both!

Currently ZH880 is planned for RIAT but may be the other frame if she goes tech.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

There are two Hercules currently listed to attend the static park. Surely they plan on both specials? :dunno:

Russ

Post by Russ »

st24 wrote:Lovely. And neither were available for the RAF's premier airshow...

At least one, possibly both, weren't actually in the UK during the show. :wave:

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

capercaillie wrote:There are two Hercules currently listed to attend the static park. Surely they plan on both specials? :dunno:

the 2 specials are both C5's arent they? According to the RIAT website, the 2 RAF hercs attending are a C4 and a C5 (i.e a C130J-30 and a C130J), so there could only be 1 of the specials, not both (unless something changes....)
Adam

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

adamp89 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:There are two Hercules currently listed to attend the static park. Surely they plan on both specials? :dunno:

the 2 specials are both C5's arent they? According to the RIAT website, the 2 RAF hercs attending are a C4 and a C5 (i.e a C130J-30 and a C130J), so there could only be 1 of the specials, not both (unless something changes....)

Nope. So far we have the 47 sqn listed which when added was touted as the special centenary aircraft, currently shown as just a Hercules (no variant) on the website and another C5 (short model) has been added from a tbc unit. I can't see mention of a C4 and C5 attending?

Andover

Post by Andover »

47 Squadron is the only unit in the Royal Air Force to have its own tricolour. The emblem originated from the Squadron’s episode in the Crimea where it was not allowed to display RAF roundels on its aircraft and used this tricolour instead. The blue represents the RAF, the yellow the White Russians and the red the Bolsheviks.

Tours in Russia and Sudan inspired the use of a crane (found in both countries) which, when navigating, flies high like a bomber. The fountain behind the crane, commemorates the amphibious role when seaplanes were flown off the Nile.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Stunning schemes both, but the 47 sqn aircraft especially. Best RAF specials I've seen in quite a while. Nice work!