Road closures

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Brevet Cable

Road closures

Post by Brevet Cable »

If anyone's interested , Gloucestershire County Council and Wiltshire Council have published the info for this year's RIAT : http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/riat
Part or all of the following Roads will be subject to a Temporary Closure between the 4th July 2016 and the 12th July 2016.

Road Number 3/173 Fairford Road
Road Number 41052 Rhymes Barn Farm Lane
Road Number 41051 Rhymes Barn Farm Lane

The following length of road will be closed and restricted between 4th July 2016 and 12th July 2016 and will be made under a separate Order entitled "Gloucestershire County Council Temporary Road Closure and 20mph Speed Restriction Road Number 40994 Dunfield Loop (Kempsford) (Cotswold) Order 2016"

Road Number 40994 Dunfield Loop

One - Way Restrictions

Part of all of the following Roads will be made subject to a Temporary One-Way Restriction between 8th July 2015 and the 10th July 2016 and varying times:

Road Number 3/172 Whelford Road
Road Number40994 Top Road
Road Number 3/175 High Street
Road Number 3/172 Chapel Street
Road Number A417 High Street

No Waiting at Any Time

Part or all of the following Roads will be subject to a Temporary No Waiting at Any Time Order commencing at 06:00hrs on 4th July 2015 until 12th July 2016

1. Marston Meysey Lane
2. Horcott Road
3. Whelford Road
4. Washpool Lane to Gravel Quarry
5. Marston Hill
6. Meysey Hampton Village
7. Lechlade Town Centre
8. St John's Street
9. Hambidge Lane

If you go on the aforementioned link you'll find a number of downloadable maps of the closures.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

WG655
UKAR Staff

Re: Road closures

Post by WG655 »

Forgive me if I'm reading the notice incorrectly but could the Dunfield Loop road closure cause problems for Kempsford Camping? Or is it simply stating that road 40994 cannot be used as a through road (as, I believe, has been the case in previous years).

Map here

Notice here

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I think it's normal for the Dunfield Loop to be closed with residents only access permitted. I'm sure there's also a sign at saying access to Kempsford Camping.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

After lots of messing around comparing that badly drawn map to a proper one , I'd agree with Wes.
The blue 'alternate' is along the High Street to Top Road section , which is the road between the Blue carpark & the campsite.
아직도 숨어있다

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Isn't Horcott Road the one that leads to Totterdown?If so how are people going to get on queing for the Park and view if there is no waiting at any time?

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

So will people be moved on the Friday , Saturday (during the show), Sunday (during the show) from the end of the runway (27).
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Isn't Horcott Road the one that leads to Totterdown?If so how are people going to get on queing for the Park and view if there is no waiting at any time?

Technically you are not waiting, but in Transit and queuing ?
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Isn't Horcott Road the one that leads to Totterdown?If so how are people going to get on queing for the Park and view if there is no waiting at any time?

According to the Totterdown group, the restrictions
end well before the turning to Totterdown. They don't think it will be an issue.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

stevebrodie wrote:So will people be moved on the Friday , Saturday (during the show), Sunday (during the show) from the end of the runway (27).

Can you provide a link to any offical document that supports your statement ?
The Council road closures referring to 'no waiting' would apply to motor vehicles. If I understand correctly there needs to be some kind of 'public dispersal order' to stop people standing on the public highway.
As the road crossing under the 27 end of the runway will remain open and I expect the police will want to keep traffic moving, and prevent queues / stationary vehicles directly under the approach.
Paul

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

DOUGHNUT wrote:
stevebrodie wrote:So will people be moved on the Friday , Saturday (during the show), Sunday (during the show) from the end of the runway (27).

The Council road closures referring to 'no waiting' would apply to motor vehicles. If I understand correctly there needs to be some kind of 'public dispersal order' to stop people standing on the public highway.
As the road crossing under the 27 end of the runway will remain open and I expect the police will want to keep traffic moving, and prevent queues / stationary vehicles directly under the approach.
Paul

I think it was more of a question that Steve asked, rather than a statement :smile:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

DOUGHNUT wrote:

Paul

Can't be bothered to look it up ( feel free to do so yourself ) , but unless I'm mistaken the law changed a few years ago to enable a senior officer - not sure if it's just Chief Inspectors or if it also includes Inspectors - to declare any public area an immediate 'dispersal area' ( they can do it there & then )
It was primarily aimed at stuff such as antisocial behaviour , but whether or not it could be used in this instance is another matter.
아직도 숨어있다

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Thankyou for taking the time to reply Brevet.
Just as I thought, the police will huff and puff, until they themselves become the problem, issuing warnings and threats until we all get bored with the hassle and grief and move somewhere else.
I asked because I have not seen it posted anywhere that public rights of way had been closed, like the orders in place at Duxford and Shuttleworth, so a peaceful gathering on the public highway will not be tolerated.
Paul

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Brevet Cable wrote:If anyone's interested , Gloucestershire County Council and Wiltshire Council have published the info for this year's RIAT : http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/RIAT
Part or all of the following Roads will be subject to a Temporary Closure between the 4th July 2016 and the 12th July 2016.

Hmm, the 12th July is a Tuesday and I don't recall past problems extending beyond the Monday .

CJS

Post by CJS »

planenuttoo wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:If anyone's interested , Gloucestershire County Council and Wiltshire Council have published the info for this year's RIAT : http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/RIAT

Hmm, the 12th July is a Tuesday and I don't recall past problems extending beyond the Monday .

Well the 4th is next Monday, which is maybe pre-empting some early arrivals? Or do the closures normally kick in that early?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

AFC

Post by AFC »

I'm not used to the Fairford area, so sorry if this is a stupid question for some.
I am staying at Totterdown this year and plan on going into the show on the Sunday, I'm just wondering what car park will get me as close to the hangars end as possible (I think it was red car park that I parked in last year? Near where the vulcan was)
Also will any of these road closures affect me getting from Totterdown to the car park that I want? (I think its red, but I'm not sure? It was on the base last year and it was near the Vulcan and Red arrows and Patrouille Aguilla.)

Cheers,
James

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

If by 'hangars end' you mean the Eastern end of the airfield , then yes it's the Red carpark.
Road closures won't stop anyone driving from Totterdown to the carpark , but you'll probably find you won't be able to take the more direct routes.

Incidentally , I notice that the link for the closures doesn't work any more , but the maps etc. can still be found here on the website : http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/search?q=RIAT&go=Go
아직도 숨어있다

AFC

Post by AFC »

Brevet Cable wrote:If by 'hangars end' you mean the Eastern end of the airfield , then yes it's the Red carpark.
Road closures won't stop anyone driving from Totterdown to the carpark , but you'll probably find you won't be able to take the more direct routes.

Incidentally , I notice that the link for the closures doesn't work any more , but the maps etc. can still be found here on the website : http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/search?q=RIAT&go=Go

Thanks

Geezer100

Post by Geezer100 »

taken from the RIAT website - Safety Statement. http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/safety-statement
Whilst the Air Tattoo is not empowered to control the movement of people outside of the airfield, every effort will be made, through signage and other communication channels, to advise people beyond the perimeter fence of our display timings and that the best place to view the airshow is anywhere at a distance of 100 metres south of the southern edge of the runway.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Geezer100 wrote:taken from the RIAT website - Safety Statement. http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/safety-statement
Whilst the Air Tattoo is not empowered to control the movement of people outside of the airfield, every effort will be made, through signage and other communication channels, to advise people beyond the perimeter fence of our display timings and that the best place to view the airshow is anywhere at a distance of 100 metres south of the southern edge of the runway.

Am I reading this right? Are they effectively giving directions for those outside? I realise the situation of the airfield at Fairford is quite different to say, Farnborough for example, but I had assumed that discouragement would be the watchword everywhere this year.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Or a pro-active approach to dealing with those they know will be there anyway and keeping them as safe as possible whilst keeping the routes around the airfield as free as possible?
Also perhaps an indication that outside-the-show observers could be moved on from other areas?

Edit: 100metres south of the southern edge of the runway would be well within the airfield - in fact it would be closer than the crowdline wouldn't it? Curiouser and curiouser...
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"