Flying Legends 2016

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Private Custard

Re: Flying Legends 2016

Post by Private Custard »

Pen Pusher wrote:Hawker Fury II has arrived.

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/FlyingLegendsOfficial/photos/pcb.1730630667189668/1730629953856406/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

Brian

st24

Post by st24 »

It's got a G-reg, forget it!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

st24 wrote:It's got a G-reg, forget it!!

It'll buff out with Photoshop :lol:

John

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Moonbeam McSwine has just arrived with a very low run and break.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Don't suppose anyone is up at Duxford today? Just had the P38 come past the house although I couldn't identify the plane with it. Would have landed about 14.20 I guess. Any ideas? Assume one of the other Red Bull aircraft although didn't look like a Corsair (this was from a bit of a distance mind, and I was on a work conference call at the time).

duxfordvillager

Post by duxfordvillager »

It's been a few years since I've posted on here but I am returning to Duxford Primary School again this weekend to volunteer and wanted to remind everyone that the school grounds will be open as usual and ready to provide a very warm welcome, tea, cakes, and BBQ for our visitors, and of course a spectacular view of the airfield. This year we are raising funds to equip a new library for the school children. Weather looking promising, have a great weekend all.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

PirateTrickster wrote:Don't suppose anyone is up at Duxford today? Just had the P38 come past the house although I couldn't identify the plane with it. Would have landed about 14.20 I guess. Any ideas? Assume one of the other Red Bull aircraft although didn't look like a Corsair (this was from a bit of a distance mind, and I was on a work conference call at the time).

I'm guessing it was the Corsair, as it says they arrived together on the Legends Facebook page.

PirateTrickster

Tbolt wrote:
PirateTrickster wrote:Don't suppose anyone is up at Duxford today? Just had the P38 come past the house although I couldn't identify the plane with it. Would have landed about 14.20 I guess. Any ideas? Assume one of the other Red Bull aircraft although didn't look like a Corsair (this was from a bit of a distance mind, and I was on a work conference call at the time).

I'm guessing it was the Corsair, as it says they arrived together on the Legends Facebook page.

Thanks Tbolt. Looks like I need my eyes testing!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Sharkmouth P-51 inbound with another warbird in close formation - couldn't make out the second as I was looking into the light as they flew over Chelmsford 10 minutes ago, but presumably a Spitfire or maybe Miss Helen.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Not part of the show but the British Antarctic Survey Dash-7/VP-FBQ, the big red four engined jobbie, flew in this afternoon and is parked on the grass south side down by the M11.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

349(F) Squadron, Belgian Air Force have a big stall set up selling Squadron goodies.

Subtle hint for the September air show?.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

How is the day going so far? Weather not great here in Essex, very windy, and looking on Twitter I can't see much comment.

Tweet I did see from traffic police said it was quiet on the roads. Another thin crowd like May?

Also, looking at pics on Twitter, were the aircraft parked further away on the flightline walk too?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

PirateTrickster

I was thinking that too - pretty breezy in SG12 so I fear the flying display may be quite affected.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

WW1 have Cancelled as has the Storch but pretty much everything else has flown. Jungman up at the moment.

F22 did a short routine . Arrrrgh, jets at Legends. :biggrin:

Hard to tell crowd wise but I've heard 14,000 advanced tickets for today.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

neilos

Post by neilos »

That was good planning. Park the camper vans on the front row! :tongue2:

Think that one needs addressing :lol:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

How did the new crowdline work out? :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

County1884

Post by County1884 »

Enjoyed today, I was at the m11 end and the flying didn't look much different to any other year :smile:
Stood right next to the Fury at the far end as she was warming up, God that is a thing of beauty :clap:

darkman

Post by darkman »

Enjoyed the day. Took a spot in friends of fighter collection enclosure. Bit of rain early on but other than that just a bit too windy for my liking. The raptor was bloody loud. :clap: Highlights were Red Bulls and B17 for me.
Will be back prob in two years so that I can do RIAT too.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

fantastic day just a shame a couple of the Spits didnt attend

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the display at Duxford today, it was fantastic ! So many highlights, I particularly enjoyed the DC3 Dakota and two Beech 18`s formation passes. I also enjoyed the Heritage Flight Mustang and F22 Raptor duo display. And the afterburner passes by the Raptor setting off car alarms ! All the displays were brilliant and I was made up to see topside passes, which were lacking at the May Airshow. And the distance they flew from the crowd, didn't seem that different to previous years. My only dissapointment was that the opening Spitfire tailchase, seemed rather short, but I may be mistaken, but ones I have seen in the past have seemed to last longer, but even with missing items originally supposed to be there, i.e. some Spitfires, P40 F, Morane etc. It was still a superb Airshow and to end the Balbo, Awesome stuff. I am going again tomorrow and I can't wait ! :-)
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 10:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

The tank bank gone along with parking the camper vans at the front caused such a squash on the entrance and embankment to LWC surprised no one slipped or was pushed. I stayed 5 min and walked to other end, lot better but still disappointed

Orion

Post by Orion »

I thought the flying was very good indeed, really pleased to see the F-22A for the first time, but at the most incongruous venue!

Less impressed by the behaviour of the photographers displaced from the tankbank, I think the display management need to give them back their playpen and change the flightlines to suit. It really isn't good enough for photographers to push and shove those who have patiently waited for hours at their chosen spot until they get their way and the persons in their way move on. That was happening on the footpath leading up to the LWM. I agreed with a middle aged couple who were sitting in camp chairs that I could stand behind them but about 1345 or so a gaggle of photographers just surrounded the three of us and nobody could see. There were long lenses being pushed across eyelines, quite often banging together. I moved on, feeling intimidated and totally browned off.

Generally I thought that Duxford is getting more and more crowded and the more crowded it becomes the less comfortable is the experience, but the quality of the flying and the programme was very good, truly excellent. But do try to find a quiet spot if you can for Sunday.

Was it worth the money? Probably not, I came away feeling disappointed.

Regards

Skunkmiester

Post by Skunkmiester »

It seemed that the crowd was a lot less than on previous years but I guess that the poor weather forecast and RIAT happening on the same weekend may have caused that. Also the signs stating that only advanced ticket holders could gain entry on the roads to the show will have put some off. Fortunately they had a ticket sales booth just outside the gates so those of us who had expected to get in as usual were not left frustrated, I'll make a note to buy in advance if I go again.

And that is something I didn't expect to be typing, 'If I go again'. The 7 Spitfires displayed for only 5 minutes, for me they are the stars of the show and they were blink and you'll miss them. I usually have time to take a stack of phots and then forget the camera and just stare in awe at that most beautiful aeroplane. I couldn't believe it when I looked behind the display to find them and noted that they were dropping their wheels.

The rest of the show was standard Legends, even the Mustangs 'screamed' during a dive which was great to hear. The display did seem a bit further away, looking at my pics taken this year and comparing them to the previous two years (with the same camera) I am having to crop my images a lot more.

I was however impressed at the new viewing areas on the left hand side of the display line, there is stacks of room to stand and absolutely no excuse for the photographers with large lenses to force their way to the front. The F-22 was impressive and I generally don't go for jets, but that thing looks like it just flew out of a Sci-fi movie.

The weather was not great for photography but that's just unlucky. I think I may be a bit over 'Legend'ed' as this was my 8th consecutive year so I may give it a miss for a year or two and hopefully my love for the show will be rekindled.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

And that is something I didn't expect to be typing, 'If I go again'. The 7 Spitfires displayed for only 5 minutes, for me they are the stars of the show and they were blink and you'll miss them. I usually have time to take a stack of phots and then forget the camera and just stare in awe at that most beautiful aeroplane. I couldn't believe it when I looked behind the display to find them and noted that they were dropping their wheels.

But I bet Anna Walker still got her annual 20 minutes to display to the Sea Of Tranquility?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Orion wrote:IGenerally I thought that Duxford is getting more and more crowded and the more crowded it becomes the less comfortable is the experience, but the quality of the flying and the programme was very good, truly excellent. But do try to find a quiet spot if you can for Sunday.

Crowded, not on the Jet or GA pan which is why they made more room there. If everyone insists in cramming into a small space then it is going to be crowded.

Brian

DfG on Facebook