NATO DAYS Ostrava 2016

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
john001

NATO DAYS Ostrava 2016

Post by john001 »

This year's Slovak participation will consist of traditional flying display of MiG-29, premiere flying display of L-39 Albatros training aircraft, and static display of Mi-17 transport helicopter.

Other items announced include:
Belgian Air Component
F-16 Solo Display Team
Red Devils

Hellenic Air Force
F-16 Demo Team "Zeus"

Slovenia
PC-9M Hudourniks, one in flying and one at static display

Swiss Air Force
Patrouille Suisse
F/A-18 Hornet Solo Display

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: NATO DAYS Ostrava 2016

Post by Wissam24 »

Thought the Slovenian display at RIAT last year was quite a tidy display.

Won't be this year but this event is definitely on the list for the future.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

john001

Post by john001 »

Added to above from FB page:

German Navy P-3C Orion, Sea King and Sea Lynx.

2 X RN Hawk

Norwegian P3C

Austrian Typhoon Flying

Frecce Tricolori

john001

Post by john001 »

Latest update includes Romanian Mig 21 static and flying - aircraft confirmed on website - unconfirmed from other sources in italics

STATIC
1x S P-3C Orion German Navy
1x S Sea King German Navy
1x S Sea Lynx German Navy
1x S JAS-39 Gripen Hungary
1x S C-27J Spartan Lithuanian Air Force
1x S L-39ZA Albatros Lithuanian Air Force
1x S AS365N3+ Lithuanian Air Force
2x S F-16 MLU Royal Netherlands Air Force
1x S P-3C Orion Royal Norwegian Air Force
1x S C-295M Polish Air Force
1x S MiG-21 Romanian Air Force
1x S C-27J Spartan Romanian Air Force
1x S Mi-17 Slovak Air Force
1x S PC-9M Hudournik Slovenian Armed Forces
1x S C-130 Hercules Swedish Air Force
2x S Hawk Royal Navy
1x S Tornado GR.4 Royal Air Force

Jas-39C/D Gripen Czech
Aero L-159A Alca Czech
Mil Mi-35 Hind Czech
Mil Mi-171 Hip Czech
CASA C-295 Czech
PZL M28 Bryza Polish NAVY

FLYING
1x D EF Typhoon Austrian Air Force
1x D F-16 Belgian Air Component
4x D SF-260 Red Devils Belgian Air Component
1x D F-16 Zeus Hellenic Air Force
1x D EF Typhoon Italian Air Force
10x D MB-339 Frecce Tricolori Italian Air Force
1x D MiG-21 Romanian Air Force
1x D L-39 Albatros Slovak Air Force
1x D MiG-29 Slovak Air Force
1x D PC-9M Hudournik Slovenian Armed Forces
1x D EF Typhoon Spanish Air Force
6x D F-5E Patrouille Suisse Swiss Air Force
1x D F/A-18 Swiss Air Force
1x D F-16 Soloturk Turkish Air Force

Jas-39C/D Gripen Czech
Aero L-159A Alca Czech
Mil Mi-35 Hind Czech
Mil Mi-171 Hip Czech
CASA C-295 Czech
Dassault Rafale C Rafale Solo Display Team

SAAB AJS-37 Viggen Swedish Air Force Historic Flight
SAAB SK 35C Saab 35 Draken Swedish Air Force Historic Flight
SAAB J-29 Tunnan Swedish Air Force Historic Flight
SAAB SK-60 Swedish Air Force Historic Flight

Black Cats Royal Navy

JJC

Post by JJC »

Anyone attending this? I'm considering doing the weekend as my first show abroad.

How is access etc. to the show from Ostrava town itself?
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

john001

Post by john001 »

Yes but I can't help you as I have not been before

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Went in 2014. My experience was be prepared - or prepared to walk. The access road to the base is usually a normal country road. On the weekend there are "stewards"? who stop all cars, other than official and Press from using it; even buses discharge the passengers for them to walk the rest of way.

This is where the prepararation came in. The friend with whom I was travelling had applied in advance for Press accrediting. He was accepted and had a placard to put in the windscreen so it could be easily seen. Had no problem with the guys who were checking and turning away any cars which weren´t official or Press.

It´s a free event so expect large crowds, try to get there as early as possible if you want to photo any static without too many people in the way. We left after a couple of hours and drove a couple of kilometers to a small village which we´d found the day before with plenty of fields and good views of the flying display. There were a couple of hundred others there with the same idea.........

I think there was a thread here some time ago with a Google map and directions.

If you want to see some photos - there are better to be found here - then go to.......
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127606866 ... 8542936257

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

I went a couple of years ago and stayed in Ostrava town, hired a car and seem to recall it was only a 20 minute drive or so to the airshow itself.

As always get there early (no later than 8am) as traffic builds up around the venue. It's a bit of an unusual event, in that it's not wall to wall flying, but there's plenty to keep you occupied on the ground as well, with some seldom seen types and air arms. Where else in Europe have they had a B-52 on static in recent years? Plus the SwAF HF 5-ship of Gripen, Viggen, Draken, Tunnan & Lansen was certainly a first for me.

Much underrated event in my opinion - sure you will have a great time:)

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Some suggestions:

Get there as early as possible - meaning be there BEFORE 06:00 local time! They will shut down all streets around the airport. Drive via Albrechtičky to the fence, and walk northeast direction along the fence, as I described in prior threads:

viewtopic.php?p=623807#p623807

monographix wrote:Do we know if Spotters, Photographers, are receiving somehow positioning / access to open view areas ? (not mix with the crowd and fight with crowd heads for a proper shooting angle)

Hi Nikos,

you have to stay OUTSIDE the airshow area to get good pictures. Therefor it is not necessary to sell spotter tickets, they would be useless. From the inside you are facing towards the sun, from the outside you have the sun in the back.

On Friday is normally no problem to get to Albrechticky by car, on showdays you have to be there VERY early. And if I mean very early, I would be there at 6:00 AM or even ealier. The police closes the road at Nova Horka early, so you would have to go by foot, which I would not recommend (3,1km...!!!). :wink:

You can either enter the festival area and go by foot to the south-western side (picture beneath), or you drive up with car early enough. (upper image) Some people manage to get to the yellow dot even with car, but I guess those are locals who know where to drive. I visited Nato Days 3 times already, and always was lucky enough to get to the parking spot (P).

HTH Eizo

Never park with the crowd in the Northeast, otherwise you will be stuck in traffic for sure! The triangle in the middle of the second picture in my link is LOCKED - no trespassing any more!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Now looking increasingly likely that I will be at this event - yay!

However Eizo's latest post has left me more confused than ever... :dizzy:

So basically, the display axis is at 90° to the main runway, and there is no public car parking near the airfield?

HELP!
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Skyflash wrote:So basically, the display axis is at 90° to the main runway

Exactly.
The "bird's eye" image on Bing Maps was taken before/after one of the previous shows (you can see the RNLAF orange F-16 on one of the aprons). The white dotted line marks the display axis for the pilots. The spot suggested by Eizo is much closer to the displays than the showground.
https://binged.it/29YhwRO

Skyflash wrote:and there is no public car parking near the airfield?

There is. Inside the airport, on the fields near the 22 (north-eastern) threshold. Parking usually costs 150 CZK (or 6 EUR) /car/day.

Instead of getting up so early and driving to Albrecticky, I prefer to park my car in the official parking lot, and walk out to the spot (through the showground) pointed out by Eizo. It's a bit of a walk, but I prefer to do that instead of being there before 6:00 am.
This will be my 7th NATO Days, and the longest it took me to get out of the parking area was about 20-25 minutes.

JJC

Post by JJC »

I will be attending with the Ian Allan tour - my first show abroad! Very much looking forwards to it. Is anyone else here on the same trip?

Also, I know the Czech currency is the Koruna (sp.?) but have heard conflicting reports about usage of the Euro? Anyone advise further?

Thanks,
JJC :smile:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

JJC wrote:but have heard conflicting reports about usage of the Euro? Anyone advise further?
The Czech Republic still hasn't qualified to the rules to be allowed to use the Euro as the official currency. But it doesn't mean some people there might accept Euros. A bit like you were allowed to pay in Dollars at the Mildenhall Air Fete.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

The Czechs along with Poland and Hungary don't want the Euro, sensible people like Britain. I cycled last year from 30 minutes out given the ghastly chaos of this event. Be prepared to be packed into the small static area. Or watch from outside by the threshold.

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

JJC wrote:have heard conflicting reports about usage of the Euro? Anyone advise further?

Most hotels accept EUR as payment, similarly to major supermarkets like Tesco (with crappy exchange rates, of course). In the past years, I also tried various caterers at the airshow, and all of them accepted euros. But it's not a sure thing, especially when it comes to locations not frequented by tourists. Two or three years ago, we stayed in a small town nearby, and none of the two restaurants we could find accepted EUR or cards, so we ended up buying cold food in a supermarket.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Can I make the sensible suggestion that people take the currency of the country they are visiting. You wouldn't take Australian $ to the US for crying out aloud.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Traveller wrote:Can I make the sensible suggestion that people take the currency of the country they are visiting. You wouldn't take Australian $ to the US for crying out aloud.

As you know I'm about to head to Prague, I've taken out a bunch of Koruna. I didn't take Euros because...that's not the currency of the country...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

JJC

Post by JJC »

As per usual of late on this forum, a simple request for clarification leads to smarmy comments which add nothing to the conversation. Some of the over-inflated egos simply beggar belief.

My question came following some online research which produced conflicting information. - as I am aware members on this board have attended the event before, I decided to make the request here, in order to ascertain information regarding the situation in the area I will be staying.

Leadfoot - thank you very much for the information!

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Similar thing happened to me and a mate. Stayed in a town called Novy Jicin, we found a restaurant which was willing to take Euros but we had to take change in the local currency. The best part about it was that the owner, after converting the bill from Koruna to Euros, then gave change at the going rate which he checked online. Somehow the restaurants there were very reluctant to accept cards. Beers were bought in a supermarket which accepted cards. Onsite I had the choice of paying in Euros or Koruna at the Zeus stand, paid Euros because I had more of them...........

One more thing. If for any chance you pay by credit card, make sure you pay in the local currency and not Sterling.

john001

Post by john001 »

A few more confirmations for the record:

Swedish Air Force Historic Flight

French Air Force Rafale Solo display

Austrian C130 support for the already announced Typhoons.

Be great if the B52, B1 and KC135R due for Exercise Ample Strike which ends on 20 September turned up!

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

According to the show's FB page: RAF Typhoon demo added to the flying display.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Polish participation announced:

Static:
F-16C
An-28
C-295M

Flying:
Sw-4
W-3 Sokol

http://www.natodays.cz/news/poland-will ... c-displays

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

MiG-29 Slovak Air Force
Solotürk
Red Devils

All cancelled... :sad:

john001

Post by john001 »

Leadfoot wrote:
Skyflash wrote:So basically, the display axis is at 90° to the main runway

Exactly.
The "bird's eye" image on Bing Maps was taken before/after one of the previous shows (you can see the RNLAF orange F-16 on one of the aprons). The white dotted line marks the display axis for the pilots. The spot suggested by Eizo is much closer to the displays than the showground.
https://binged.it/29YhwRO

Skyflash wrote:and there is no public car parking near the airfield?

There is. Inside the airport, on the fields near the 22 (north-eastern) threshold. Parking usually costs 150 CZK (or 6 EUR) /car/day.

Instead of getting up so early and driving to Albrecticky, I prefer to park my car in the official parking lot, and walk out to the spot (through the showground) pointed out by Eizo. It's a bit of a walk, but I prefer to do that instead of being there before 6:00 am.
This will be my 7th NATO Days, and the longest it took me to get out of the parking area was about 20-25 minutes.

So are you saying you come in form the parking at gate 1 on this map http://www.natodays.cz/files/files/2016/pdf/DN16_areal.pdf and go out gate 2 and walk around?

Also is the flying continuous or do some of the ground displays break it up? and any idea what time the flying starts (approx) - thanks very much

Draken

Post by Draken »

I've been in Sliac (SVK) for SIAF airshow on Saturday, talked to B52 crew and they told me they will come to Ostrava for static display.
Hope it's true ;)