Herne Bay Air Show 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
hardtarget

Re: Herne Bay Air Show 2016

Post by hardtarget »

melvyn hiscock wrote:All show times are subject to change, the flypro shown is not current. Sea Vixen at 15:50

Have you got an updated prog then seeing as you have info on vixen?

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Confirmed on their Facebook page

fire3

Post by fire3 »

Does anyone know the display frequency for todays show?

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

One of the Turbulents apparently just ditched into sea. Display stopped for air ambulance but pilot is fine, thank goodness!

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Being told that vampires and vixen have cancelled :-(

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kent_999s/status/764838054079127552[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nc3311/status/764837295757361152[/tweet]

vicarage

Post by vicarage »

Superb weather, and my plan of parking near Swalecliffe station and cycling the last 3 miles worked fine. It looked at 12 noon like there was parking to the west just before Hampton Pier Avenue, so I could have parked closer in and walked. Roads leaving HB were empty at 5pm, only small delays where A299 meets A2 (and then the usual M2 chuggers)

Sorry about the Turblelent pilot, and their display didn't really work, the sand bombing was invisible behind the pier and the balloons a long way off past the breakwater. They are much better on a runway. The Spit and Hurricane were rather pedestrian, but I enjoyed everything else.

Well done to the organisers.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Saw the plane go down on the horizon and didn't see it come back up which was worrying, glad he's okay. Gutted the Sea Vixen cancelled.
I was standing at the end of the pier and thought some of the displays were distant. So i dread to think what it was like on the beach! :hide:
Mustang was the highlight for me superb!
Most tame Red Arrows display i've seen!
All in all a good day!

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

I decided to go to this display and thought train would be best from Broadstairs but sadly let down by South Eastern as usual with my planned journey delayed by some 25 minute which meant I missed the Mustang as it was displaying while I walked down from the station. Journey home was better though.

It was my first airshow for a number of years as I have been unlucky in the past to witness some (fatal) crashes which put me off a bit, so to have the Turbulent doing a controlled ditching was somewhat perturbing however I gather the pilot is fine apart from getting a little damp and by all accounts suffering a broken nose. There is another thread here about this and some of the reports on the news etc leave a bit to be desired.

Overall I though the show was very good, I watched from various places ending up at the launching ramp by the Neptune car park which was a good place to be. Great to see Thumper back in the skies again. I agree that the Spit and Hurricane were a little tame, I enjoyed they Great War team display and this is the first time I have seen it.

As usual with airshows I think some of the prices being charged by food and drink stalls were a little over the top, £5.70 for a pint of Indian lager and a bottle of water in the Pavilion I think was excessive especially since the water is available in your favourite supermarket for about £2 for twelve. However £2 for a Solleys ice cream was best value for me! I realise the organisers have virtually no control over this.

Overall I though the organisers did a great job and I will certainly consider coming again next time there is a Herne Bay Airshow.

Stuart

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

not a crash ...............but the Controlled ditching video here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJSB8nnpA_I

............good job there was some people nearby :worship:
Last edited by paullangford on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

In view of the reality and the earlier comments perhaps you would consider rephrasing your comment. Controlled ditching .....?
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

Decent show. Really liked both Jet Provost displays (duo and Strikemaster) and the Mig 15. After the Red Arrows it did get quite tame with the Vampire/Vixen cancellations. I was at the 'crash' end of the beach so saw everything. The police/ambulances services were quite slow to act, but arrived in huge numbers which proved unnecessary in hindsight. The lighting for some of the topside passes was amazing though.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Dragon Rapide wrote:In view of the reality and the earlier comments perhaps you would consider rephrasing your comment. Controlled ditching .....?

Yep....I kinda gave the pilot a bit of a bad rap there.....................title changed :smile:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Anyone else notice one of the jumpers of the Tiger Parachute team pull his secondary shoot? :shock:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

All in all an enjoyable day and glad I decided to go,rather than Beachy Head!
I felt the display wasn't too far away,especially when allowed onto the beach next to the bandstand,it was a shame about the Sea Vixen and Vampire as light was amazing by then,but the main thing is pilot was safe and unhurt in the ditching and it was a bonus to get some lovely shots of the coast guards newbie's flying past.
The best thing was I took my girl friend's 6 years old Nephew along to his first show,and the look of amazement to see his first display was priceless.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

paullangford wrote:
Dragon Rapide wrote:In view of the reality and the earlier comments perhaps you would consider rephrasing your comment. Controlled ditching .....?

Yep....I kinda gave the pilot a bit of a bad rap there....title changed :smile:

:up: :up:

Dragon Rapide

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Mrs & I had a great day at Herne Bay
We opted for the £25 VIP seats at the end of the pier, which gave us a fantastic view, and with champagne and strawberries included, were exceptional value for money.

We travelled in by train from London for the day, and despite arriving at 10:30, happily got front row seats with probably the best view in the house.

Displays were excellent, especially for a seaside show, and it was lovely to see the Lanc back in the sky.
Greatly enjoyed seeing the P-51 and JP Pair, but the Mig15 seemed a little distant and subdued.

I was a bit gutted at not seeing the Sea Vixen display (as I've never seen her display before) but given the circumstances, I'm just glad that everyone was OK after the Turb ditching.

Was Red 1 using a non-smoke hawk? Seemed to be missing an expected smoke trail.

Only minor criticism/oddity was that the main commentry wasn't being piped onto the pier, instead we had a 'separate' commentator, who didn't actually seem to know what was going on most of the time.
It meant we had to wait a long time before we got an explanation as to why the show suddenly stopped (we were right at the opposite end of the display line to the incident), and also didn't get the benefit of the Red Arrows commentary telling us when to expect breaks etc.

Given the commentary was being broadcast on FM radio, I'm surprised that they didn't just hook up a receiver to a suitable radio, if hard-wired communication was going to be a problem.

We stayed a while after the displays to get some food and play on the 2p machines, but trains were busy even at 8:30pm (not helped by SouthEastern only putting a 4-car on the 20:33!).

All in all, a great day and a fantastic job by the BayPromoTeam.
Arguably, the planned line-up was one of the best non-RIAT shows this year, and it was a real shame that the Vampire/Vixen cancellation meant it didn't end up being the classic jet fest that it could've been.

I'm greatly looking forward to the next one!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

The Bay Promo Team will no doubt consider a 2017 show depending on the perceived success of this one and funding. Their original intention after last year was to skip this year but maybe it will turn into an annual seaside success story. Pleased everyone who has posted seem to have enjoyed it. :clap:

Dragon Rapide

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

aknott68 wrote: with regard to the comments about VIP seats on the pier, where were these advertised as all I saw was a description about it being a free show

The VIP seats were advertised on the Bay Promo Team's airshow website, but I believe only around 125 seats were available and it looks like they removed the info about it once they'd all sold out.

BDL

Post by BDL »

LittleRedTrain wrote:
We stayed a while after the displays to get some food and play on the 2p machines, but trains were busy even at 8:30pm (not helped by SouthEastern only putting a 4-car on the 20:33!).

You expect Southeastern to provide a service? :biggrin:

Pretty much echo what @LittleRedTrain said.

We were up on the hill. My legs are a tad singed though. :mad:

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

BDL wrote:[quote
We were up on the hill. My legs are a tad singed though. :mad:

That's because being up there you were slightly closer to the sun.

Nice to hear some airshow positivity.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

LittleRedTrain wrote:
I was a bit gutted at not seeing the Sea Vixen display (as I've never seen her display before) but given the circumstances, I'm just glad that everyone was OK after the Turb ditching.

I'm greatly looking forward to the next one!

Sea Vixen only did two passes at Eastbourne as it had flap issues and Simon returned her to base.

Did Eastbourne on Saturday then done Herne Bay on the Sunday, Though I saw some acts the day before it was a brilliant airshow with brilliant range of acts especially classic jets, the only acts I thought were far out was Lauren Richardson and the Autogyro rest of the acts were nice and close even the BBMF, Shame about the Sea Vixen but heard it too had issues and RTB! Also glad the Turb pilot was ok and well done those who went to help him.

Fingers Cross they do it again next year and I can sit on the wall again near the Amy Johnson bench.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham