Rhyl Airshow 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
eddywinch82

Rhyl Airshow 2016

Post by eddywinch82 »

Rhyl's Airshow has been confirmed to return this year, on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th of August, to Rhyl Seafront Denbighshire North Wales.

eddywinch82

Re: Rhyl Airshow 2016

Post by eddywinch82 »

Hi there,

Does anyone on this forum know, if it is possible to get either a bus or train from Rhyl to Chester on a Sunday ?
As after the Airshow on the Sunday, I would like to stay in a Holiday Inn Hotel in Chester.
But may book another hotel in Rhyl or near to Rhyl, if I can't get public transport back to Chester. Any
info would be appreciated.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

There's one train an hour, takes about 40 minutes. Do an enquiry on National Rail or Trainline and you'll see the times.

Just so you're aware, the Holiday Inn in Chester isn't, its four or five miles out of the City, so you'd need a cab. The Holiday Inn Express on the other hand is on the race course in the City Centre more or less. Just a heads up.

Hope that helps.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Many thanks Wrexham Mackam for the info. Yes sorry I made a mistake, I did mean the Holiday Inn Express in Chester not
the Holiday Inn. One train an hour is fine from Rhyl to Chester for me, I presume you do mean on a Sunday ? Eddie

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Yes, on a Sunday Eddie. As I say, if you pop onto the Trainline website no doubt you'll get train times, prices etc. Or National Rail.

Personally, after doing the first couple of events by train, I drive to Rhyl. Southport on the other hand, train every time.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Can I just advise you, if you are planning on getting a train from Rhyl to Chester on a Sunday, that Sunday (regardless of the time of year) is the day that any train line maintenance tends to be carried out. So if your getting a train to Chester make sure you get an early one, as the trains can/ will be cancelled (replaced by coach) without any warning to you.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Many thanks for the advice Red Dragon, I will make a note of the info you have given me.

Best Regards

Eddie Winch

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Cheers Aviationcafe for your information.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

The RAF Red Arrows are confirmed, displaying on Sunday 28th August.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

RAF BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane IIc displaying both days, also RAF Falcons Parachute Display Team both days.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Calidus Autogyro displaying both days.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Team Raven (5 Vans RV-4/8's), displaying on both days.
Last edited by eddywinch82 on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Sea Vixen "Foxy Lady" (to be confirmed), for displaying both days.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Well if this gets confirmed.......'I'm in' :yahoo:
Got to love Russianhardware

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

The info about the Sea Vixen, I got from the following website link :- http://www.britishairshows.com/british- ... -2016.html

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Am I the only one to find the line up posted above a little (okay, a lot) underwhelming?

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

borismorris wrote:Am I the only one to find the line up posted above a little (okay, a lot) underwhelming?

No...you're not :sad:

Timc

Post by Timc »

borismorris wrote:Am I the only one to find the line up posted above a little (okay, a lot) underwhelming?

Certainly lacking in the "Wow" factor, but I suppose if you're holidaying up in North Wales and the weather is good then not a bad way to while away an afternoon! :smile:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Groan!.. that is a weak line up this year. I've seen neither the Global Stars nor Team Raven, everything else is very familiar. :sad:

Greydrake

Post by Greydrake »

Think we might give it a miss this year, no search and rescue demo, no typhoon poor Rhyl last year it's airshow was a highlight

banksy

Post by banksy »

It is indeed a very weak line up and has probably made my mind up whether or not to go.

Hopefully the Reds will use Hawarden again on Sunday for refuelling and I'll nip up there instead.

Be nice if use Battle of Britain flight could fly over Chester on the way too.
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

banksy

Post by banksy »

Battle of Britain flight using Hawarden on Saturday and Sunday for those local who are interested in seeing them.

Red Arrows operating from Hawarden too on Sunday and Monday.

banksy

Post by banksy »

Sad to say for us Chester people that the BBMF are now using Liverpool as their base over the weekend, minus the Lancaster which is unserviceable and hasn't left home base.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

According to Facebook, the two BBMF Fighters displaying at Rhyl this weekend, are Spitfire XVI TE311 and Hurricane IIc PZ865. Which I am really pleased about as TE311 is one of the best sounding BBMF Spitfires ))

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I would just like to say, how much I enjoyed this years Airshow at Rhyl. It was really excellent both days, the flying was superb ! Okay the display lineup wasn't as big as last years, but it didn't detract in my opinion from the quality of the flying. My overall highlight both days was the BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane, I had goosebumps and tears in my eyes on both occasions. Had the Lancaster been there, it would have been the icing on the cake ! I love the sound of Spitfire XVI TE311, it really is the best sounding Spitfire in the BBMF in my opinion ! All credit to them on Saturday, for waiting to display at the end of the flying programme, when better weather was predicted, instead of cancelling outright, after they were unable to display at their allocated time. As the weather at Liverpool Airport their operating base was too poor for them to get airborne, i.e. heavy rain showers. So I was thrilled when the commentator Ben Dunnell said they were on their way )) but all the displays were exemplary including the Global Stars Team and Team Raven. Who didn't have a strong wind to contend with, like they did at Blackpool Airshow a few weeks ago ! It was unfortunate that today, the Red Arrows couldn't do the second half of their display, as the cloudbase over most of the display area, was 800 foot and was therefore beyond their safety limits ! A real shame, as the weather earlier on in the day was much better ! But hats off to them for doing the first half again, and brilliant flying it was too ! So I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and it was a Free Airshow. It's great now to have other Major Airshows in this area of the country other than Southport, which up until a few years ago, was the only annual one in the Northwest of England. I am really looking forwards to next years Airshow ! :smile: