Southport Airshow 2016

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Chris G

Re: Southport Airshow 2016

Post by Chris G »

Aviationcafe wrote:
jules48 wrote:Sea vixen is out for rest of season

Nothing on the NavyWings site/Vixen Facebook page or Southport airshow page about this.

Fingers crossed no news is good news!

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Well it is.Cancelled all displays for rest of season.Did not display at Dunsfold and Jersey and Southport Cancelled.I have an inside source.Sorry

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The Navywings website (updated post Eastbourne) suggests that all remining appearances have been cancelled - http://www.navywings.org.uk/flying-schedule/

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Had a really good laugh this evening. sadly it was confirmed that the Sea Vixen is indeed cancelled but the FB page has gone and said that there is not another aircraft able to display to fill its slot on the Sunday. So they are trying to tell us in the whole of the Uk that with the budget that would be available for the Sea Vixen there is not another single act able to make Southport, as i've stated on their FB page i smell bovine feces!

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Chris G wrote:Had a really good laugh this evening. sadly it was confirmed that the Sea Vixen is indeed cancelled but the FB page has gone and said that there is not another aircraft able to display to fill its slot on the Sunday. So they are trying to tell us in the whole of the Uk that with the budget that would be available for the Sea Vixen there is not another single act able to make Southport, as i've stated on their FB page i smell bovine feces!

Well you could enlighten us all and let us know what is available to display at short notice.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

It is my understanding that TSA have a set group of acts and seem pull from them, though i may well be wrong. There are lots of other acts out there that are not used. TSA run most of the seaside shows, just look at the very very similar line up to most of these shows across the country and to be blunt again i'm sure there is at least one display pilot who if approached would be prepared to pitch up, it just looks like they've seen a chance to save a load of cash!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Indeed, at least one display pilot has informally offered their services on Facebook so not all pilots/aircraft are going to be at Duxford as we knew already.

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

WG655 wrote:Indeed, at least one display pilot has informally offered their services on Facebook so not all pilots/aircraft are going to be at Duxford as we knew already.

Has this been posted on the public page? Was trying to have a look to see which pilot it was! Keeping fingers crossed a replacement is found...
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

According to :- http://www.air-shows.org.uk/2016-airsho ... t-airshow/ the FireFlies Aerobatic Team, are now flying on the Saturday and Sunday, aswell as the Friday evening for the Southport Airshow.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Chris G wrote:Had a really good laugh this evening. sadly it was confirmed that the Sea Vixen is indeed cancelled but the FB page has gone and said that there is not another aircraft able to display to fill its slot on the Sunday. So they are trying to tell us in the whole of the Uk that with the budget that would be available for the Sea Vixen there is not another single act able to make Southport, as i've stated on their FB page i smell bovine feces!

I've read it 3 or 4 times now and can't see what is so funny about it. Please enlighten me or am I too old to understand the joke?

MTIA

Puzzled of Essex
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

andygolfer wrote:

I've read it 3 or 4 times now and can't see what is so funny about it. Please enlighten me or am I too old to understand the joke?

MTIA

Puzzled of Essex

Dear Puzzled of Essex,
The funny thing was that in the whole of the UK and with the budget they would have had available from the Sea Vixen that they have not been able to find another single act to fill the slot left by the Sea Vixen. It's the funniest thing i've seen since being reminded of Mrs Slocombes pussy at the weekend! :pinkwafer: :pinkwafer: :pinkwafer:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

I'd have said odd rather than funny but get your drift
andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

eddywinch82 wrote:According to :- http://www.air-shows.org.uk/2016-airsho ... t-airshow/ the FireFlies Aerobatic Team, are now flying on the Saturday and Sunday, aswell as the Friday evening for the Southport Airshow.

The Bronco is always down for Sunday aswell?
Lakes Lightning Collection

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Bronco was always Saturday only.

Its a good line up this year, there are a good few new-to-Southport acts in there. And I'm sure that in Southport style there'll be a formation or two in there too. Looking forward to it, fingers crossed for some sun and that special Southport light.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Looks a little flat on Sunday really.

No Vulcan obviously, now no Vixen, I think it just needs that 'ooooomph' booking to make it a good one, but where do they look for one and what would it be?

B17?
B25?

The trouble is, this late in the day, it probably won't happen :facepalm:
Got to love Russianhardware

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

B-25 is displaying on Sunday. Got to worry though, the Sea Vixen already out and there are doubts over the MIG-15 and Sioux and Scout. Not looking very promising. The weather looks to be rather blustery now too.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

The Scout Helicopter has been taken off the lineup, according to http://www.airshows.org.uk Southport Airshow Preview's Flying Schedule, the MIG-15 is still on there at the moment.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Interesting article on the visit Southport website. http://www.visitsouthport.com/blog/read/2016/09/how-do-you-organise-an-air-show-here-we-tell-you-all-b39 It's how they plan their airshow.

With less than a week to go to the 2016 Air Show there is a mix of excitement and apprehension within the Tourism Team.

The Air Show is our largest event of the year, with it being our 25th Anniversary the whole team want to deliver something special that is befitting of the occasion.

People regularly ask how we book the Red Arrows? Who decides on the dates? And of course who makes sure the sun is shining? The planning and delivery of the Air Show is full of complexities.

Planning for the 2016 Air Show started on the 20th September 2015, as soon as the 24th Air Show came to an end. The first decision to be made was the date, due to the location of the Air Show we are governed by tide times so we only have a limited choice of dates, looking at calendars and the tide times we chose the 9th, 10th and 11th of September.
At the time all seemed well, no potential clashes and it allowed the team enough time to organise and implement the show.

We look to book aircraft as early as we can but are governed by outside procedures. With regards to the Military aircraft we have to submit our RAF participation requests in early September, therefore we were looking to secure aircraft for the 2016 show even before the 2015 show had commenced.

As usual we requested all RAF aircraft for both days, we then found out in March that unfortunately The Red Arrows could only display on the Saturday due to a clash with Duxford and The Great North Run on the Sunday. When we set our dates in September there were no clashes, however we manage them the best we can. It’s fair to say though that there was disappointment within the Team that we had not managed to secure the Reds for both days.

We then look at what civilian aircraft is on the display circuit; this is a long and detailed exercise as we want to give the best air show possible. We draw together a wish list what we think will work after reading social medial channels and scouring through air show forums (yes we do read them!).

As usual we have encountered a number of setbacks when looking to book aircraft, we really wanted Sally B sadly she is displaying at Duxford. We then went all out to secure the Sea Vixen and I was immensely proud to secure her for the Sunday, unfortunately a technical fault now means she will not be displaying.

We then also have to factor in costs such as flying budget that includes fuel costs and the necessary licence agreements.

That all said I truly believe we have a great line up over the 3 days from The Red Arrows to the crowd favourite The Typhoon to new additions such as the B-25 Mitchell and stalwarts of the Southport Air Show such as The Blades and Tigers Parachute display team.

Friday night flying is a first for us and it’s a fitting celebration of the 25th Anniversary, The Southport Air Show was unique when it started 25 years ago and I am determined to grow the air show every year for the thousands of visitors and residents to enjoy.

Lastly the air show would not be possible if it was not for my small team who give up so much of their time to ensure we put on the best event possible, it all means so much to us and I hope everyone has a fantastic 3 days.

Now to continually refresh those weather apps and start planning 2017!

Mark Catherall - Tourism Manager
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Ironic really, as i'm only 10 miles away from Southport, but i shall be giving it a miss on all 3 days this year.

Call it the 'vulcan effect', call it something else, but i don't see anything that enthuses me i'm afraid. For this reason....i'm out! :sad:
Got to love Russianhardware

nickosbad

Post by nickosbad »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Ironic really, as i'm only 10 miles away from Southport, but i shall be giving it a miss on all 3 days this year.

Call it the 'vulcan effect', call it something else, but i don't see anything that enthuses me i'm afraid. For this reason....i'm out! :sad:

I'm hoping it is a bit quieter this year.....trying to decide whether to drive or come on the train but the trains last year were rammed!!

I agree the lineup seems a little light but I'll still be going as it will be my only chance to (hopefully) see the Lanc flying, given all of the problems recently I'm not sure how much longer she will be still flying

Plus my 2 year old is obsessed with planes so she will love the Reds and Typhoon and anything else in the air!!

Post by 106500 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Ironic really, as i'm only 10 miles away from Southport, but i shall be giving it a miss on all 3 days this year.

Agree, the line up is a shadow of the last few years - which seems a general trend for this year for all airshows (excepting RIAT and Yeovilton). I'll be giving the show a miss this year (the absence of the Vixen sealed my decision) but am hoping next year will be more positive.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Chris G wrote:B-25 is displaying on Sunday.

And Saturday - 16:16.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

There seems to be a West/East divide for the weather on Saturday. How likely will this weather system effect aircraft transitioning to Southport?

FX102

Post by FX102 »

I honestly don't know whether to go and with the weather concerns, loss of the Sea Vixen and now talk of the MiG-15 not making it, I'm even less enthused to attend.

Me and air shows are going through a tumultuous moment. Enjoy being at them but get really stressed and bumbed by the prep and travel to and from. Also this would be a solo trip so even less so.

Also the talk of windy conditions brings back bad memories of the sand in my Nikkor 200-400mm tripod setup after the 2010 show. Not a cheap clean out.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Weather looking OK and MIG-15 flying - hopefully we see a flyby with the Vampire pair.

Should be a good day.