Manston - another museum in trouble

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
fire3

Re: Manston - another museum in trouble

Post by fire3 »

The 2 museums could never merge they are run very differently, the RAF Manston History Museum being run entirly by volunteers who do 99% of the jobs around the museum. We own all of our exhibits (bar 2 I belive which are on loan).

We have done more advertising recently, a number of adverts have been placed in both flypast and Britain at war as well as attending a local carnival for the first time to give out leaflets.
We also have a traveling display which attends a number of shows each year (we are looking for a Cockpit section to take along if anyone knows of one for sale)

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

So you have confirmed what I suggested might be the case.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Dragon Rapide wrote:I don't altogether agree with your criticisms but I understand your comments. As to pooling resources someone else has made a similar suggestion. Perhaps it's worth a discussion but I have a feeling that the way the two are set up is quite different - the Spitfire Museum has charitable status - so it might not be as feasible as it might seem superficially.

I was trying to not be critical. :oops:
fire3 wrote:The 2 museums could never merge they are run very differently, the RAF Manston History Museum being run entirly by volunteers who do 99% of the jobs around the museum. We own all of our exhibits (bar 2 I belive which are on loan).

We have done more advertising recently, a number of adverts have been placed in both flypast and Britain at war as well as attending a local carnival for the first time to give out leaflets.
We also have a traveling display which attends a number of shows each year (we are looking for a Cockpit section to take along if anyone knows of one for sale)

So what will actually happen should the other lot fail to keep their head above water? Everyone can stand about saying things cant be fixed by merger or a bit of official co-operation, or someone can grab the bull by the horns and get things sorted! Then again, i remember being told there is a bit of a rift between the 2, that if there is, you really need to get past that!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Geoff - your comments are laudable, in principle, but like so many things in life a lot more complex than outward appearances suggest. The two museums are completely separate entities and whether or not there is little love lost neither has any connection with the other except from being in close proximity. Apart from anything else nothing could happen without Charity Commissioners approval and you may or may not be aware of the hoops to be jumped through!!

Dragon Rapide

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

DR,
In a way, i would happily swap my family life just now to give em a hand to sort this out!

I know someone who has, would like to say recently gone through charity status applications, but as you say, the hoops are plentiful and quite rightly so. Am i right in saying they need to submit their accounts to keep the process going? But in this case we have a museum that is not a viable proposition at the minute as they are asking for more money right at the end of what should be their busiest period. How charitable do the commission remain in this case? Its not as if DC is about to hand out a couple o mil to bale them out!

Im sorry if it is too simplistic, but recent events say the Charity Commission are not gonna be too happy either way, and i would rather see 2 closely located museums get together and sort things out! It aint ever gonna be easy, but with a fair wind, anything is possible.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

At least you are a full on glass half full man, Geoff!! :clap:

Dragon Rapide

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Whilst not wishing to start false rumour but could this sort of press release be the start of a closure plan ?
1) complain that you have no money and no local support.
2) reduce opening hours to save money.
3) nobody notices that your doing this, so close completely.
4) place all exhibits into store until they are lost, stolen or sold.

Can anybody confirm the actual ownership of the Hurricane and Spitfire ?
I am guessing it is still the MOD, either directly from Royal Air Force, or on loan from RAF Museum.

Given the current RAFM management and their plans for Hendon I would expect the Hurricane to disappear into store at Stafford and the Spitfire to be sold, or exchanged for a second hand tin on WW1 vintage Bully Beef.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Possibly or maybe ownership passed to the Trust.

Dragon Rapide

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

The museum website www.spitfiremuseum.org.uk does not mention ownership of either Hurricane or Spitfire, only that they were previously RAF gate guards and both had been restored by MAPS at Rochester. I would doubt that the RAF would have let either of these aircraft leave their ownership and they are on a suitable loan agreement. If ownership has been transferred to the museum trust they are the lucky owns of two very valuable items.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

You're probably right. The Hurricane is cobbled together from various sources so perhaps that would diminish its value.

Anyway this is all highly speculative and the end may not be as nigh as some appear to believe.

Dragon Rapide

BDL

Post by BDL »

What do you make of the latest proposals from the owners to include a "Heritage" airfield on the original site?

Knowing what I do, from very reliable sources, River Oak is never going to "get off the ground".

Looks to be a fairly sensible proposal and solution, co-locating both museums to one site.

Stone Hill Park proposals - http://www.stonehillpark.co.uk/heritage-forms-the-heart-of-enhanced-masterplan-for-manston

fire3

Post by fire3 »

Having been to last nights Stone Hill Park consultation i feel that the ''Heritage airfield plan'' is just a carrot to get the large housing estate passed planning after which the plan will be scrapped and houses put in its place, the conversation with their ''expert'' went like this.

Me -will it be a licensed airfield
No
Me -Why
We don't need a licence
Me - so limited to maximum of 28 days use under CAA rules
No its our land we will do as we like
Me - what type of aircraft do you see using it?
spitfires
Me - just spitfires
well i guess so!
Me - how long will the runway be
between 600 and 2000ft
Me - and whats the plane for the museums
2 new building will be built
Me - Will all aircraft be undercover
Yes both
Me- Both? The RAF Museum has 22 aircraft
Oh does it!

Out of interest why do you think the Riveroak plan will not get off the ground? Im currently involved in a DCO application for another project with our DCO Lawyer saying they (Rivera) have a very tight case for a DCO.

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

I agree with the assumption that the heritage airfield is a sop to get the houses and is very unlikely to happen. The biggest issue is 4000+ homes which simply dont make sense. Thanet has more than enough brownfield sites and empty houses to cover the current needs for housing. 4000+ houses will put an intolerable strain on local schools, dentists (try getting an NHS dentist in Thanet), Doctors surgeries and the hospital (QEQM) which if the local NHS Trust has their way will lose vital services making Thanet residents travel to Dover or Ashford. So the housing plan should be dead in the water but isn't because of the local Councillors. One local MP is hoping the local plan fails to get through council and will give central government the opportunity to impose one which could well say Manston is to remain an airfield. What we need is sensible development to provide real jobs in the local area and none of Stone Hill Park's plans provide this. If Thanet Parkway railway station happens watch for the 4000 houses to be snapped up by commuters. We await the outcome with bated breath but fear for the worst.

My view of politicians is that anyone who wants to become one should automatically be banned from standing for election.

Stuart

BDL

Post by BDL »

@Fire3 From what I was told by an ex-Thanet councillor (You can probably guess who) I don't think Riveroak stood a chance, like to be proven wrong of course as I would rather see an active Manston than another housing estate