Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
TKK 140

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Post by TKK 140 »

Pen Pusher wrote:Not the first time they have been positioned like that on the flight line walk and its usually to have them pointing into the wind. Don't know how strong it was yesterday but probably easier to leave them like that rather than turning them all around.

I was down the M11 end and had no problems with a 70-300mm lens although I was after take/off landings and top side shots and as for the Spitfire tail chase, the best I've seen yet with three formations all over the place and ended up just watching it with my Mk.1 eyeball rather than trying to photograph it.

Brian

Fantastic show, the Spitfire Melee could have been taken from the BOB film. Truly spell binding.
At the land warfare end they cut across the tank bank, b.marvellous stuff, green leader getting himself rebuked at least twice. The WW1 dog fights, the Hawker Fury and Bearcat, the Mig and Vampires and that break,omg, it doesn't get much better than today.

400mm lens more than capable.

Oh and the Boltbee spit after the airshow, again magnificent. A very decent and civilised crowd too.

Very orderly exit considering the accident delay.

Duxford at it's best.

AFKAMC

Post by AFKAMC »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I imagine those who got soaked for their £30 advance tickets won't be buying them again any time soon. With weather in the UK being what it is, only the chance of sell-outs on the back of stellar line-ups should warrant anyone buying a ticket in advance. I did for the Lancasters at Sywell and Gransden, and for the Vulcan farewell at Shuttleworth, but for a run-of-the-mill line-up, you really should wait to see what the weather's like on the morning of the show. Duxford would win a lot of brownie points back if they announced the end of the cancer of advance ticketing.

Of course, there'll be a delicious irony if, having presumably made a sizeable loss today, tomorrow's possible glorious weather leaves thousands of prospective customers unable to pay on the day. Literally turning money away.

I think advance tickets only is here to stay. Fine by me. Air show attendance means an early start for me, both to avoid traffic delays, and to maximize my time at the show. This means I commit the day before, at the latest. If tickets are on sale until midnight, at least I can make an informed decision re. the weather; surely by the day before, the forecast is as accurate as it’s ever going to get?

But how about offering an open ticket which allows the choice of attendance on either Saturday or Sunday? Costs more than a standard one-day ticket, but fine – the customer is paying a premium for the added flexibility.

I seem to recall RIAT offering just such a ticket up until a few years ago. Maybe they withdrew it because there just wasn’t the demand?

PS. You might find an advance tickets only policy intensely annoying, but it’s really nothing like cancer, is it?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

TKK 140 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:Not the first time they have been positioned like that on the flight line walk and its usually to have them pointing into the wind. Don't know how strong it was yesterday but probably easier to leave them like that rather than turning them all around.

I was down the M11 end and had no problems with a 70-300mm lens although I was after take/off landings and top side shots and as for the Spitfire tail chase, the best I've seen yet with three formations all over the place and ended up just watching it with my Mk.1 eyeball rather than trying to photograph it.

Brian

Fantastic show, the Spitfire Melee could have been taken from the BOB film. Truly spell binding.
At the land warfare end they cut across the tank bank, b.marvellous stuff, green leader getting himself rebuked at least twice. The WW1 dog fights, the Hawker Fury and Bearcat, the Mig and Vampires and that break,omg, it doesn't get much better than today.

400mm lens more than capable.

Oh and the Boltbee spit after the airshow, again magnificent. A very decent and civilised crowd too.

Very orderly exit considering the accident delay.

Duxford at it's best.

Here,here, couldn't have put it better myself. :clap: And a trip in a Rapide I hadn't been in before too :up: Smashing day all round.
...Rad shutters auto.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

AFKAMC wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Duxford would win a lot of brownie points back if they announced the end of the cancer of advance ticketing.

PS. You might find an advance tickets only policy intensely annoying, but it’s really nothing like cancer, is it?

Quite. That is disgusting exaggeration, a bit of perspective would go a long way, Dan :loser:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Here,here, couldn't have put it better myself. :clap: And a trip in a Rapide I hadn't been in before too :up: Smashing day all round.[/quote] :cool: :cool:

I took my son up in the Rapide a few years ago on a day like today so you must have had a great flight and view.

I also forgot the Lanc made it too, :yahoo: and displayed very well and in a crowd and togger pleasing way, all the acts had an appeal today for us, the Chipmunk pair and the Harvard overhead too.... We are still buzzing from the day. :worship:

RedEagle

Post by RedEagle »

Sorry, post duplicated... :dizzy:
Last edited by RedEagle on Sun 11 Sep 2016, 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

I am really enjoying reading the previous few posts. So pleased everyone had a great day. Can't wait for the photo threads!!
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

RedEagle

Post by RedEagle »

RedEagle wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:ended up just watching it with my Mk.1 eyeball rather than trying to photograph it.

Brian

There is a lot to be said for this. I leave the professional photos to you chaps and just enjoy the action with my binos :smile:

My first trip to Duxford this year and was delighted to see Tank Bank back in use! (It was rammed!) Believe it was out of bounds earlier this year??

Was there any change to the display line this time?

I made my get-away as the Red Barrows pitched in, and passed the accident on the A505 with maybe a 30 sec wait. It didn't look much to speak of....... Did they make a mountain out of a molehill I wonder? :wat:

Good day out :clap:

captchaos

Post by captchaos »

Pen Pusher wrote:
DaveBr wrote:Of interest to those planning to attend and enjoy the show, there appears to be a pyrotechnics crew setting up on the far side of the airfield.

First World War Fighter set piece with flash/wizz/bangs I was told. :biggrin:

Brian

Our pyro guys are a great bunch and due to the weather on Sat, used a double load today. We had three "straffing" sets as well. We think they do a great job - rain or shine.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Interesting that there are so many good reports from today.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Fantastic day today. The sort of show and spectacle that is only staged at Duxford. Bravo to all the pilots, engineers, volunteers, organising staff and everyone/anyone else involved.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

The Baron wrote:Interesting that there are so many good reports from today.

There is a few but not really that many. There certainly isn't any fully negative reviews today. I'm glad everything went safely and smoothly today.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

sithrity wrote:There certainly isn't any fully negative reviews today.

I think the people that have tired of DX just haven't bothered going this time around. Before long, the DX threads will be a giant feelgood echo-chamber!

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

I wish I had been at the Duxford Airshow yesterday, but I chose to go to the Southport Airshow, which is only 7 miles from where I live. As it was the 25th Anniversary Airshow, it sounds like it was a fantastic event, from peoples opinions I have read on Facebook and on this forum, and I am gutted I couldn't make it. Thankfully I will be able to at next years September Airshow, as Southport Airshow is the previous weekend to Duxford. I am definately going to buy, the official Planestv Blu-Ray of this weekends Airshow at Duxford. I was really pleased to hear that the BBMF Lancaster displayed at Duxford today, as it only seems right to me, that Duxford should get a display of Thumper this year, after it was off the display circuit all of last year. And will be for a Major Overhaul next Airshow season, which will take place at Duxford apparently. :smile:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Posted on Duxford Facebook about the pyrotechnics for the WWI set piece.

How bloody stupid to 'bomb' on 9/11 ... When I heard those bombs going off I was terrified that the air show had been targeted. I live a mile away. Thoroughly thoughtless not to warn the locals; someone really has their head up their a*** over there.

Obviously had no problem with the KLM 747Cargo and the other airliners that flew over Duxford during the day then.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Pen Pusher wrote:Posted on Duxford Facebook about the pyrotechnics for the WWI set piece.

How bloody stupid to 'bomb' on 9/11 ... When I heard those bombs going off I was terrified that the air show had been targeted. I live a mile away. Thoroughly thoughtless not to warn the locals; someone really has their head up their a*** over there.

Obviously had no problem with the KLM 747Cargo and the other airliners that flew over Duxford during the day then.

Brian

Quite! And clearly the fear and terror affected hundreds of locals judging by the outrage in the media .......err - ah there wasn't any. Except for a comment on social media........maybe most of the locals knew there was an airshow going on....

Dragon Rapide

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

Pen Pusher wrote:Posted on Duxford Facebook about the pyrotechnics for the WWI set piece.

Brian

So terrified I bet he was straight on the phone to call 999 , as if he wasn't at the show how would have found out it was only pyros?

If he was genuinely worried about it he would have called 999.

Some people just have nothing else to do but waste everyone else's time

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

aknott68 wrote:Is there any reason Duxford shows couldnt start a bit later in the day to deal with head on sun?

And as I say having flightline access at end of day to get great evening light would be a bonus

A later start would be nice for the light for the photographers but they are in reality a very small proportion and pleasing them would probably upset a lot who want to get on their way home especially if they have a long drive and work next morning - it appears that some people do travel quite a long way judging by some past comments here.

A later start would probably make a post display flightline walk less viable, the organisers probably want to clear the site and get cleared up and the merchandisers probably want to get away and can't do so until the public have gone (I'm assuming there because of the prominence of H&S in everything we do). Further points to note, some of the flightline aircraft depart straight home after the show so it might be a bit sparse and they would need people to man it later into the evening and most are volunteers having a long day. A positive of the post display flightline would be that not everybody would depart straight away hence easing the departure traffic.

I'll throw in one suggestion to meet both of your ideas though which takes it a bit further (I wonder if the powers that be read this):
Maybe one of the Saturday shows (or an extra event) could be an 'evening' show even a lower key affair (e.g. 1 1/2 to 2 hours) starting at around 6 pm with the flightline open beforehand in late afternoon light ( e.g.from 4pm until 5.15) for photographers and then the light for both the flightline and display would be much nicer. As shorter show would have fewer participants and thus the aircraft could be spaced out more (countering one adverse point that's been made) and with fewer participants it wouldn't take as long to walk so wouldn't need to be open so long to meet the closing time, at the moment it takes at least an hour to walk properly, with fewer aircraft that would reduces significantly. I appreciate that it might be a pain for the people who stay behind afterwards but whatever the timing there will always be issues of some kind.
I suppose the other way to do it (I'm thinking as I type here so forgive me if it's not perfect english) would be to do a smaller evening event on the Friday arrivals day, there is usually a good attendance on the pre show Fridays. I haven't considered the full logistics of that but just throwing it into the discussion pot.

moving on, I went yesterday and have to say what an excellent show it was. I am gutted for those who went Saturday and missed so much of it (my brother and friends included) and sorry to gloat over how good a day I had and I even took my wife. All the doom mongering before I did feel a bit of trepidation in taking my wife to a Duxford show for the first time but there were very few acts I didn't enjoy and from a photography point of view the aircraft were generally close enough to get good pics (plenty of filled frames at much less than 400mm), the one problem I have with the new rules (I've said this elsewhere before) is the height rather than the distance of the subjects - far more belly shots this year which I personally dislike. To pick a highlight it has to be the massed spitfires tailchasing but lots of other good acts too.
And another point leading on from the above - my wife was a first timer at a Duxford show (although she has been with me on many non-show days) who I'd describe as a blueprint for a 'Joe Public' type at an air display and she thought the whole thing was 'amazing' - and she has been to other shows in the past but rarely used that description (558 at OW last October was one I remember and the 2 Lancs at Lt Gransden) and not for a full show. SO I suggest that despite all the doom-mongering and slagging off of Duxford shows on here it is actually giving 'Joe Public' a good day out and it's only the fairly small minority of photographers (including those who miss the naughty fields) and 'heavy' enthusiasts who find it disappointing. From that point of view Duxford are getting it reasonably right even with the constraints of the current CAA rules. For the benefit of the 'armchair show-watchers' the car parks on the show side were virtually full , we got there rather late at around 12.30 due to an accident on the M.11 and were in the overflow car park at the western end through the hedge (great for getting out though) and the place did seem pretty full despite the predictions of some on here (I won't ask THEM to lick my lottery numbers!). Yes we were in the FoD enclosure itself pretty full and that was a good experience as far as my wife was concerned - she want's to go again!

My only criticisms of the current 'day' is the child's prices - they make it quite expensive for a family day out and when we oldies ar e pushing up the daisies there needs to be a new generation of airshow goers coming through, high child prices wont help achieve that, and the food prices (as previously mentioned) £6.50 for a burger (6oz admittedly) is a lot if feeding a family especially if you're buying drinks as well but there was a queue so some paid it. I always take a picnic anyway so I can stay in the enclosure all day (I don't do the museum on show days) but have to add that since the permanent on site cafes (Wingco Joes etc) were franchised out their prices have leapt and whereas I used to support them on non show days (and get my discount) I have now started taking a packed lunch instead, I do feel they have that bit wrong. There- I've given a bit of balance to my offering!

andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

"
Some people just have nothing else to do but waste everyone else's time"

Except that he didn't waste anyone's time but had his little whine on a social media site. Now he would have been wasting people's time if he had dialled 999 but was self evidently unconvinced. What a twerp!

Dragon Rapide

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Brian

My wife was in Washington on 9-11 about to go into the White House when the plane hit the Pentagon (heard the big bang) and she still remembers it vividly and to add to the eventfullness of the trip she was staying in WTC7 - the Marriott hotel which got demolished by the towers dropping until 48 hours before the planes struck.
Despite the trauma of that trip the pyros didn't alarm her - she thought they were excellent! (I thought they were pretty good too, and we got a double dose :smile: )
andygolfer

Mr Potton

Post by Mr Potton »

andygolfer wrote:
aknott68 wrote: ...my wife was a first timer at a Duxford show...who I'd describe as a blueprint for a 'Joe Public' type at an air display and she thought the whole thing was 'amazing' andy

Likewise, my old mum's first visit to Duxford and she thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the Spitfires which she remembers watching for real over the skies of London in the 1940s - although she says she doesn't remember seeing so many at one time!

Fantastic weather makes all the difference of course. My only gripe is the promise of present day fighters which didn't materialise. I appreciate the comments of those more knowledgeable than me on this forum about the practicalities of getting the services of these types of aircraft - but the bottom line is that you shouldn't promise something (and take people's money on that basis) unless you can guarantee to deliver it. Otherwise, an excellent day.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Duxford. It appears to divide opinions but here goes.

Tickets: I have to agree with the comments on Parking. The charge is ridiculous, Just build the price into it. I run a Bed and Breakfast. Do I charge for bed and separately for Breakfast....No, it's just silly. So if your reading this IWM, sort it out for next year please.

The show: Well apart from the lack of Hurricanes (just the one :sad: ) and not a single flying Mustang :sad: the flying had it all. First time I have properly seen the GWDT and I have to say it was a really impressive routine to watch. Snipe reproduction later on was a great catch after being frustrated in Masterton with locked hangar and it sat inside!! The line up may have been a little tight, given the space at the Royston end of the line but facing away is definitely more interesting to look at AND photograph.

Photography: Well where do I start with this one... Your facing the sun...deal with it or don't bother. I enjoyed the challenge from the M11 end. everything to my left was lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree. To my right was interesting at times but there it is. It got better as the Spits came back in and the harshness of the sun faded. You can tell I did Sunday, especially looking at my arms, missed a bit with the Riemann P20 (F50) and got a nice red stripe round my elbows :grin:

Food: It's expensive but it's, without a doubt, better than in years gone by. You have the choice.

The only negative I can come up with apart from the parking charge is the cost for families. Charging nearly a full rate for under 16's is wrong, plain and simple. If we want to inspire future generations, we should make it easier and cheaper for families to attend. My two penneth

Oh and thanks to Stuart? from Colchester for the chat after my mate H had to bug out early.

9 out of 10 Duxford, but that parking charge.............

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Pat Murphy wrote:The charge is ridiculous, Just build the price into it. I run a Bed and Breakfast. Do I charge for bed and separately for Breakfast....No, it's just silly.

But one can attend the show without taking a car. If you offered breakfast to non-residents you presumably wouldn't charge them for a room they hadn't used?

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

andygolfer wrote:
aknott68 wrote: I always take a picnic anyway so I can stay in the enclosure all day (I don't do the museum on show days) but have to add that since the permanent on site cafes (Wingco Joes etc) were franchised out their prices have leapt and whereas I used to support them on non show days (and get my discount) I have now started taking a packed lunch instead, I do feel they have that bit wrong. There- I've given a bit of balance to my offering!

andy

I think they have always been franchised, the strangly named "Digby Trout Catering Ltd" at one point.

What used to be WingCo Joe's, now The Workshop Restaurant IIRC was doing cooked breakfast for £6 yesterday (£4.80 with member's discount). OK not especially cheap but not bad as these things go and you at least got a proper plate, knife and fork and table service! Not particularly busy either at 10.30.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
andygolfer wrote:
aknott68 wrote: I always take a picnic anyway so I can stay in the enclosure all day (I don't do the museum on show days) but have to add that since the permanent on site cafes (Wingco Joes etc) were franchised out their prices have leapt and whereas I used to support them on non show days (and get my discount) I have now started taking a packed lunch instead, I do feel they have that bit wrong. There- I've given a bit of balance to my offering!

andy

I think they have always been franchised, the strangly named "Digby Trout Catering Ltd" at one point.

What used to be WingCo Joe's, now The Workshop Restaurant IIRC was doing cooked breakfast for £6 yesterday (£4.80 with member's discount). OK not especially cheap but not bad as these things go and you at least got a proper plate, knife and fork and table service! Not particularly busy either at 10.30.

Maybe I should get up earlier then! sounds very reasonable so apologies but when I went there back in the spring I thought they seemed higher prices than previously maybe they treat the earlier risers to a bargain deal :smile:
andygolfer