Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Thoughtful_Flyer

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016- 10th and 11th September

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

andygolfer wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
andygolfer wrote:
aknott68 wrote: I always take a picnic anyway so I can stay in the enclosure all day (I don't do the museum on show days) but have to add that since the permanent on site cafes (Wingco Joes etc) were franchised out their prices have leapt and whereas I used to support them on non show days (and get my discount) I have now started taking a packed lunch instead, I do feel they have that bit wrong. There- I've given a bit of balance to my offering!

andy

I think they have always been franchised, the strangly named "Digby Trout Catering Ltd" at one point.

What used to be WingCo Joe's, now The Workshop Restaurant IIRC was doing cooked breakfast for £6 yesterday (£4.80 with member's discount). OK not especially cheap but not bad as these things go and you at least got a proper plate, knife and fork and table service! Not particularly busy either at 10.30.

Maybe I should get up earlier then! sounds very reasonable so apologies but when I went there back in the spring I thought they seemed higher prices than previously maybe they treat the earlier risers to a bargain deal :smile:

Their normal lunchtime menu seems pricey for what it is. I have not sampled it since the change of brand but maybe trying to be something it is not and charging what I would assume to be "London" prices. But then I am out of touch. If it is not viable I imagine it will change again before long.

I don't know if the breakfast price was an airshow special? If so it worked as they relieved me of £4.80 to supplement my picnic! Not 5 star but quite respectable.
Last edited by Thoughtful_Flyer on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

thanks for the response,

it was a lunch that I had there that put me off a bit because of the price so maybe I was partly right after all. time will tell if it changes

andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

In fairness to Duxford, when I've been on non-show days, the permanent catering concessions have always been pretty decent in terms of quality, although a little pricey. It's the grease wagons that roll up on show days that people have an issue with.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

I imagine they charge for parking because you can use the free park and ride at Trumpington (although you still pay £2 to park there for the day). Motorbikes are free to park on the airfield (which is what I did) although bizarrely they took all the M11 traffic off at junction 11 and then on a ten mile scenic tour of Cambridgeshire ending up back at the junction 10 roundabout on the motorway which bikes had to go around to go into the main entrance!

The food prices are set by the stall holders - i noticed those closest to the entrance were more expensive that those further away (by £1 per item). I imagine they price their items as high as they can get away with (as most business owners would do - its not a charity after all). I took my own food and water.

I saw no step ladders or windbreaks or even people standing on huge camera boxes which was very nice!

I left while the Reds were on and rode straight out without needing to stop except for the lights.

I enjoyed the day although my 300mm lens struggled a bit but these days I go to watch the planes rather than take photos - its much more fun to watch them in real life instead of through a viewfinder :-)

jules48

Post by jules48 »

I wonder how many people commenting on here support and watch a football team and pay ridiculous prices to watch 90 minutes of that.As so many say prices for all airshows are known well in advance so you make your choice and budget accordingly.Yes food can be expensive but surely if you are a regular airshow devotee you know this and take a packed lunch or buy something on the way.I have never been to an airshow at Duxford but it must cost a fortune to maintain all the aircraft they have there and yes they charge when no airshows are on but you have a choice so make it.either go or not

Thoughtful_Flyer

Dan O'Hagan wrote:In fairness to Duxford, when I've been on non-show days, the permanent catering concessions have always been pretty decent in terms of quality, although a little pricey. It's the grease wagons that roll up on show days that people have an issue with.

Seemed to be a different company providing them this time.

I didn't sample them personally but, from what I saw, I thought the food looked a bit better. As I said back on Friday I felt the prices were fairly steep.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Rockhopper wrote:I imagine they charge for parking because you can use the free park and ride at Trumpington (although you still pay £2 to park there for the day). Motorbikes are free to park on the airfield (which is what I did) although bizarrely they took all the M11 traffic off at junction 11 and then on a ten mile scenic tour of Cambridgeshire ending up back at the junction 10 roundabout on the motorway which bikes had to go around to go into the main entrance!

The food prices are set by the stall holders - i noticed those closest to the entrance were more expensive that those further away (by £1 per item). I imagine they price their items as high as they can get away with (as most business owners would do - its not a charity after all). I took my own food and water.

I saw no step ladders or windbreaks or even people standing on huge camera boxes which was very nice!

I left while the Reds were on and rode straight out without needing to stop except for the lights.

I enjoyed the day although my 300mm lens struggled a bit but these days I go to watch the planes rather than take photos - its much more fun to watch them in real life instead of through a viewfinder :-)

If you know Cambridgeshire there is an even more scenic route that is far shorter and quicker.........

timuss

Post by timuss »

Saturday was a a shame still had fun! Sunday thoroughly enjoyed it Bearcat and Fury my word what a routine! The Spit's were very nice numerous topsides by the M11 end :cool: Lovely display by the Gladiator on Sat and Sunday.

I also enjoyed the Red's i usually leave before them but with this nice light and them performing a Full display i thought i'd stick around, glad i did most enjoyable. And now the major let down the traffic chaos i know there was a accident i waited around hour and half before leaving hoping it would die down a bit how wrong was i, people barging in creating there own lanes you had people going down by the Bailey Bridge it was chaos.

I was still on the field at around 8.00 and when i had a couple of hours drive home i decided to get a room for the night, i just didn't fancy the drive after a long day at Duxford.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

A thoroughly enjoyable day, enhanced obviously by the wonderful weather, for me the spitfires being the highlight - as was mentioned previously I noticed quite a number with cameras take a few photos and then put them down and just watch, often pictures don't do the moment justice.

There were comments earlier about possible losses following the near-washout on Saturday - I suspect if there were any such losses they were cushioned somewhat by what seemed a very popular flightline walk yesterday.

I have a 2 hour journey to Duxford, so arrived just after 8 and straight in to park, left as Reds arrived and straight out. I did notice lots of cars outside the airfield along various roads and lanes and plenty of people in various gateways and fields as I left.

Despite some gloomy comments in earlier posts all in all I think yesterday showed that there is plenty of life in Duxford yet,albeit enhanced by a glorious sunny day. :biggrin:

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

And the weather will always affect any show anywhere. And as has already been noted Duxford has rarely been washed out in a long history.

Good to hear there's lots of life in the old girl and with the three shows confirmed for next year we can look forward to lots more great warbird display.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

jl151080 wrote:A shame the weather spoiled the show today, but kudos to the pilots for putting on the displays they did.

Especially the Global Stars and Mark Jefferies they did a brilliant job, I am glad some aircraft did display like the Buchons, the two Comanche fighters Spitfires , Gloster Gladiator & Catalina. Though for next year I leave booking the tickets till the Thursday or Friday before the shows.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

nbaker

Post by nbaker »

JBartlett wrote:
jl151080 wrote:A shame the weather spoiled the show today, but kudos to the pilots for putting on the displays they did.

Especially the Global Stars and Mark Jefferies they did a brilliant job, I am glad some aircraft did display like the Buchons, the two Comanche fighters Spitfires , Gloster Gladiator & Catalina. Though for next year I leave booking the tickets till the Thursday or Friday before the shows.

James

I was really very disappointed with the weather on Saturday but many thanks to the pilots who did manage to fly, I especially enjoyed the Buchons & Spitfires and many thanks to the Mig & Vampire pilots who gave us photo ops with their fast taxiing, hope to see them in the air next year. Also really enjoyed the Global Stars those guys are nuts :clap: :shock:

Next year I will make sure I have the money for both days :wall:

Nige.

Bosberg

Post by Bosberg »

I'd like to echo some of the other comments and thank the pilots for their efforts on Saturday. I travel up from Plymouth and having to book accommodation in advance I always need to pay for my tickets well before the event. Still had a great day and my young daughter loved the Globalstars and the Mig and Vampires. Planning next year already. :smile:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

aknott68 wrote:PAt Murphy- you seem to demonstrate a response that appears common in this forum of making an attack on something that someone says "You'r facing the sun deal with it or don't bother" -I don't know you, not spoken to you and therefore don't see why this needs to be such an attacking statement. The fact is that it is head on and I'd rather here suggestions from people as to how to deal with it other than just take pictures on one half of the airfield - ie pointing at the eastern end.

I don't believe my comments were offensive or controversial, so please refrain from such attacks in the future.

aknott68. Err whoa back up please. It was not an attack on you and neither was my statement meant to be offensive in any way. I should have added a :smile: to demonstrate this. When I said "deal with it" I meant that we all have to deal with it or just not take the shot. The tone was in no way meant to criticise yours or anyone else's photographic skills. As for dealing with it, I tried adding some exposure compensation and using partial metering. I'll wait for someone far more skilled to come in and tell me I'm wrong :grin:

It wasn't meant as an "attack" and I'm sorry if you felt it sounded as such.....there's quite enough trolling on the internet as it is.

Pat :smile:
Last edited by Pat Murphy on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

aknott68 wrote:Pat

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so defensive, probably a consequence of reading so many posts on here that seem to be quite confrontational - but appreciate the message.

Andy

No problem, hope you enjoyed the show...I'll get round to posting my shots In my "Review of the year"
when the Guesthouse quietens down a bit :grin:

R4118

Post by R4118 »

I visited the show on Saturday. As I had to pay in advance, I had no choice.

The lesson I have learned (the hard way) is that, as long as there is the advance ticket policy, I will from now on book only the week before the show. Of course the weather is nothing you can blame the organisers for, but this is an outdoor event of 3hours, so weather is a major factor.
With the change in ticket policy, I have to adapt to those changes. As a lot of people will, I suspect.

Better luck next time.....
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

R4118 wrote:I visited the show on Saturday. As I had to pay in advance, I had no choice.

The lesson I have learned (the hard way) is that, as long as there is the advance ticket policy, I will from now on book only the week before the show. Of course the weather is nothing you can blame the organisers for, but this is an outdoor event of 3hours, so weather is a major factor.
With the change in ticket policy, I have to adapt to those changes. As a lot of people will, I suspect.

Better luck next time.....

I've never understood why people don't do this in the first place. Surely, as Brits, it's common sense to wait and see what the weathers doing...

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Exactly what I did - booked my ticket for the Sunday on Friday morning when i had a fairly good idea of what the weather was going to be. Of course you are taking a risk that the event is going to have sold out if you leave it so late.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

We calculate risk every day of our lives, often without realising we are. In the matter of advance tickets the risk is in finding the venue sold out when the decision is made as late as possible against the assurance of obtaining a ticket for a display which might be washed out.

Dragon Rapide

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

On the flip side to your suggestions, imagine if everyone who bought a ticket in advance for Saturday, left it till the last minute and didn't buy that ticket. Those who couldn't make Sunday or couldn't get a Sunday ticket if Duxford sold out, obviously wouldn't have parted with all that cash. Saturday would have been closed with no return and Duxford might have felt the pinch. Remember we need to fund future airshow experience at Duxford. Maybe that's one reason they changed to advance tickets.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

That's quite true of course and in that unlikely event Duxford would probably have suffered that loss of income. But in reality people for a host of reasons will risk buying in advance.

Dragon Rapide

st24

Post by st24 »

But I really see no reason why there shouldn't be a Old Warden style pay on the day option for the late chancers with the proviso they may sell out. That or a Sat OR Sun option. I really hate having my mind made up for me.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

My experience using three different forecast providers usually has it right three or four days ahead. The exception is usually the timing of a passing front and therefore exactly when it will rain. But even by Thursday it is usually right.

But a degree of flexibility probably should be considered. But if this year's shows have produced the budgeted income it will probably be same again!!

Dragon Rapide

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

I normally enjoy my one show a year at Duxford, I like the place. I'm slowly getting over the disappointment :grin:

I just hope the boss at home allows me to try again next year. I've been in her bad books ever since the drive home Saturday. :oops:
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

The 'wait until the last minute till you buy a ticket' policy will only work with a regular Duxford line up.
If Duxford are able to attract one or two crowd pullers for an event in the future then the show runs the risk of selling out and you are back to taking your chances weeks in advance.

The advance ticket policy is still a fiasco but it's here to stay and the only way is to budget for a two day ticket as insurance against the weather.
It was due to family commitments that I had to choose Sunday but I got lucky. Beautiful weather and a superb display.
Duxford still has issues aside from the ticket policy , variable standards in the quality of the IWM,DAS and FoD volunteers for one.
Aren't they offered any sort of customer service training? Even the most tin pot companies focus on this.
There is a right way and a wrong way to speak to people.
That said , apart from the fiasco getting out on Sunday ( I didn't realise it was indirectly caused by a prang) the show was highly enjoyable.