Railway tracks

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Roughcutter

Railway tracks

Post by Roughcutter »

Out of curiosity, what's the story regarding the narrow gauge rail track at Duxford. I've been visiting shows here for quite a few years and up to now have never thought to enquire about it :smile:

planenuttoo

Re: Railway tracks

Post by planenuttoo »

I've not seen anything running on it for a few years, and the only reasonable link I could find is this
http://forum.keypublishing.com/archive/ ... 03790.html

But possibly the engine (a Baldwin) is being restored at Porthmadog.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I'm not to sure, I use to hear it was the rails for bomb loading, that got debunked at the May show for me as I was informed that they use to arm from the other side. I'm also pretty sure I read on a plaque possibly in the LWH that they were used to help in the construction of and move exhibits into the LWH and infact I think I saw the spur inside the hall, could be wrong as I was desperate for the loo at the time.
I'm sure Brian can say what they were actually used for.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

I have seen references to the tracks being laid to run a steam engine the museum had years ago as well as them being laid in connection with BoB filming. As you say perhaps Brian has the real story.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

It's as advertised in the Key Forum link posted by planenuttoo. A narrow gauge track used by the museum to demonstrate, using a small petrol driven engine that is in the Land Warfare Hall, how ammunition, troops etc were moved around the First World War trenches. There was a spur that ran into/out of the LWH which has been removed but you can still see the track inside. There was a big loop at the western end of the airfield but the fuel farm was plonked on top of it and the demonstrations stopped. I only ever saw this operating once many, many years ago on a weekend visit.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

I vaguely remember, as Brian said, years ago, we used to get annoyed if the train passing coincided with a taxying aircraft, which in truth was not often.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I have vivid memories of taking a train ride at an old Classic Fighter show and the Buchon and Lightning absolutely caning directly OTT low-level. I must've been about 4 at the time, which makes it one of my earliest aviation memories.

It's no wonder I turned out the way I did. :biggrin:

rob68

Post by rob68 »

It deffinetley used to run during airshows, constantly got in the way. I'm sure you could travel on it as well.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

rob68 wrote:It deffinetley used to run during airshows, constantly got in the way. I'm sure you could travel on it as well.

Definitely.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Quite interesting, I'll have to check it out myself next time I'm there. Cheers guys.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Spell checked 1st Dan....or maybe as I'm on a sun bed in Fortoventura and may have had a drink I didnt :sleepy:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Fuerteventura. :lol:

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Better have a go at all the others then that have spelling mistakes in their posts or would you prefer to continue with one of the reasons that people hate UKAR ?

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

rob68 wrote:Better have a go at all the others then that have spelling mistakes in their posts or would you prefer to continue with one of the reasons that people hate UKAR ?

This is massively off topic, but you agreed to the rules when you signed up folks:

Rule 2: You must use clear and legible English at all times. Some leeway is given if English is not your first language but please remember that this is a UK website. Moderators may delete or edit posts that don't make sense because of poor spelling and/or grammar.

The vast majority have no issue with abiding by the rules - please PM me or any other staff member if you have serious concerns about the moderation of the forum (preferably with evidence).

st24

Post by st24 »

I defiantly agree.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Maybe we can get back on track?

st24

Post by st24 »

Indeed, the thread has become de-railed after everyone have made their points....We need to send clear signals.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Some will choo-choos to stick to the rules, others will huff and puff and let off steam, some you just can't train at all. :wave:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Canon

Post by Canon »

capercaillie wrote:Some will choo-choos to stick to the rules, others will huff and puff and let off steam, some you just can't train at all. :wave:

Well I mean if we're being pedantic here, you've spelt 'choose' wrong, which violates rule 2 :whistle: :ninja:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

st24

Post by st24 »

Canon wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Some will choo-choos to stick to the rules, others will huff and puff and let off steam, some you just can't train at all. :wave:

Well I mean if we're being pedantic here, you've spelt 'choose' wrong, which violates rule 2 :whistle: :ninja:

Indeed, he should have used a search engine to check. He should tender his apologies and not let others buffer his misdoings..

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

A few super-steamed, walschaerts geared front motions, not in the top link blowing off here. :lol:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Oh dear, I didn't gauge this reaction, and thought this would be a sleeper by now, well I know my station! :oops:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

The thread's in danger of coming off the rails...
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

st24

Post by st24 »

Let's be on our guard then and take stock - get back on the level, crossing bridges when we get to them.

Mr Potton

Post by Mr Potton »

All change, please!