Shackleton WR963 - [Official Topic]

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Pringles

Re: Shackleton WR963 - [Official Topic]

Post by Pringles »

A new statement has appeared on WR963's Facebook page:
Good evening all.

We are pleased to bring you the news that work on Avro Shackleton WR963 will resume in early October, with a hand picked team.

Its too early to say whether the Return to Flight can be resumed at this stage but it is not being written off. The immediate aim is to get WR963 back into her old monthly run-up schedule, and in the short term back to taxying as capably as she did last September, and more recently April this year.

We understand that some of you may have had your faith shaken by events over the past month or so, but would ask that you stick with us for the time being and see how we get on.

When we get back on track, the door to the aircraft will be open to visitors once again and you will - as always - be welcome.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

that's great news...................... :yahoo:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Positive stuff, for sure. Good to hear.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

The Shack is back! :win:
Avro Shackleton WR963 proved today she's not ready for any big amount of sleep. A slight issue with a booster coil - which was rectified - was the only real snag she threw up, with everything else checking out.

As such, planning is afoot for an engine run up to shake the cobwebs out, date and time TBC, but will provisionally be Sat 15th Oct.

This is not a taxy run, but will hopefully lead to that as soon as we can get her ready and fit - there's a few bits of brake work to complete and a couple of other relatively minor issues.

So... should we commit to firing the Griffon engines up; is the interest still there? Do you want to still come and experience a live Shackleton?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Really pleased to see WR963 & XV232 back active on Saturday. First steps and all that. Hopefully it willl be blue skies and sun for a change but looking at the forecast I'm not so sure :lol:
On Sat 15th October, Avro Shackleton WR963 will be carrying out an engine test and run up of all four engines in support of the Nimrod Preservation Group. Their own aircraft - Nimrod XV232 - will be hosting its first engine run since shutting the engines down in May, it will be a four engine run.

For this event, the gate will be £10.00 per adult, kids between 12-15 are £5.00 (under this age - FREE) and this is purely to cover the fuel we use and airport costs.

If possible, please respond to this post if you can attend. The Nimrod will start up at 13:00 & Shackleton at 14:00. Last entry through the gate is at 12:30 for us to secure everything prior to running. If you wish to make a donation to any of the teams on the day we are always grateful of your support.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

So are the guys that posted here still part of this?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Reds Rolling wrote:So are the guys that posted here still part of this?

I personally am no longer involved & I think that Pete Buckingham (hunterfx something) has departed too, leaving RichW as the only poster still involved
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Shame that whilst first-hand updates are being posted on the Flypast forum , this forum isn't ( other than by posts/information gleaned from other sources )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Domvickery wrote:
Reds Rolling wrote:So are the guys that posted here still part of this?

I personally am no longer involved & I think that Pete Buckingham (hunterfx something) has departed too, leaving RichW as the only poster still involved

Oh, well it's a shame it all came to this. A lot of goodwill down the drain I'd imagine.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Did somebody shout me?

I can post updates here if you still want them, its no problem. I can't help but be aware of the issues surrounding SPT/WR963 as my Father's right at the core of it and there's quite a bit of hostility going on; however my reason for being on site after over a year's absence is purely to keep the aircraft from going derelict and stop a lot of work done over a long period from coming undone. I'm not interested in discussing how or why things have happened, only whats getting fixed on the aircraft and whether she's safe for the future.

I'll be manning the Engineer's panel again on board the Shackleton on Saturday as I have done many times in the past and if anyone wants to come and look around you'll be welcome.

Regards,

Rich
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Updates here would be appeciated. :up:
아직도 숨어있다

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Posted this evening on the Shack facebook page

Hello all,

Well what a few weeks its been, highs low and everything in between! Despite it all WR963 and I are still here, your messages and posts have been a huge support, now I need you to step up and give the powers that be a visual sign of of this. Even now there are still those who for reasons known only to themselves are still trying to bring the whole thing down, maybe one day the whole story will come out, but it seems for the moment their motive is unknown.

So I ask your help - we're working hard to get WR963 back to what she was at the beginning of the year, with regular public run ups (and yes, taxying again) so now more than ever I need your help. As most of you will know by now, me and my little team are going to run up WR963's engines this Saturday, but we desperately need you to be there. Show those that want to kill her off and consign her to the history books that they won't and can't make it happen. I need as many of you who can to be on site for the run this weekend. Public opinion matters, after all that is what put a Vulcan in the air. Numbers on the day will count heavily in our favour, photos of the run on social media, chat on the various forums etc.

It all adds up, sometimes in ways you can't believe.

Thankfully we still have a few allies pulling as hard for us as ever. Coventry Airport are still very much on our side and have gone out of their way to make the run happen, and my team worked in torrential rain 2 weeks ago to get her ready for the run - as you will have read from the update a few snags were found but these have been dealt with.

One last thing; many of you have offered practical help, can I ask that you contact me if you still feel that you can help in some way, I may not get straight back to you in the next few days, I have a lot still to do over the next few weeks to satisfy several outside agencies, so bear with me I will answer you even if I don't respond immediately - I promise !!!

I hope to see lots of you at the weekend, come and say Hello.

Thank you all again

Dave Woods

I'll be going along to show support, hopefully they get a good turnout.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Perhaps I've missed it, but what time is the site open and when will the engines be run - I do realize that put's people on the spot, sorry.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Scroll up this page to IP1960's last but one post for the engine run timings.
No mention of gate opening time , though.
아직도 숨어있다

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

The gate will be open from roughly 10am (as soon as we can get enough people on site to, basically.)

Tonight I have my head in the books, as its a while since I last started WR963. I hope she's in a good mood, and my good luck charm (my Engineer pin) still works. The Engineer pin was a surprise present, given to me by John Mepham, a well experienced Shackleton Flight Engineer when he thought I was good enough to do the job. John was the Engineer on Shackleton XF710 that successfully crash landed on Culloden Moor after a serious engine failure and fire.

WR963's No 3 engine will be turning on the starter at 2pm exactly. Don't be late!

Regards,

Rich
Last edited by richw_82 on Sat 18 Dec 2021, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

richw_82 wrote:The gate will be open from roughly 10am (as soon as we can get enough people on site to, basically.)

WR963's No 3 engine will be turning on the starter at 2pm exactly. Don't be late!

Rich

Many thanks Rich, I cannot now make it due to being late off night shift, so good luck for today, and the project.

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

A great afternoon today, with some great runs. :clap: Really looking forward to future engine runs, and would recommend them to those who have not been! Rest of my photos in the relevant section.

ImageAvro Shackleton WR963 - Coventry - 15 October 2016 by Cameron Sys, on Flickr

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Cameron, some nice photos there. I agree it was a great afternoon, nice to see them both doing 4 engine run-ups and blessed for once with calm weather and lots of blue sky, which seems to be rare at Baginton :biggrin: . I did think the fence behind XV232 was a goner at one point, along with the steps. :lol: Will be good to see them both taxy next year if things go to plan. Speaking with Dave during the afternoon he seemed buoyed by the reaction to his original pessimistic posting in the last few weeks - I hope they will still be able to at least raise the money for the spar test and aim for return to flight.

Rich

Rich, you weren't kidding were you!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Hmm, an engine run and photo opp on a classic, iconic, 4 engined Avro aircraft. How much did it cost again? ;-)

Glad it went well :-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Well done to all concerned.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

CJS wrote:Hmm, an engine run and photo opp on a classic, iconic, 4 engined Avro aircraft. How much did it cost again? ;-)

Glad it went well :-)
:biggrin:

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Thanks to all that attended, you all made our day.

Both aircraft ran well despite having sat for a while - there were a few snags (a slight oil leak on WR963's No 1 engine and a reluctant No 4) but no show stoppers and nothing we can't fix. I can't comment on the serviceablity of the fence though after the Nimrod chucked a few pieces of ground kit at it... :grin:

IP1960 wrote:

Rich

Rich, you weren't kidding were you!

No, I like to be prompt! 2pm on the dot according to the aircraft's clock I flicked the starter button, just as I promised! Next months run up is being planned and as soon as I have a date for it I'll let you know. The intent is to be taxying very early in the new year to try and make up as much for this last year as possible, so yet again we'll be looking at the Shackleton's weak point - there's some pneumatic work to do.

Keep watching.

Kind regards,

Rich
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Thanks Rich,as I stated above and you'll obviously know much better than me, there was a good positive air about the place yesterday (at both camps). Gareth mentioned the possibility of another dusk run in Nov/Dec as well. See you next time.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Event planned for 3 December - website says only 30 tickets now remain -

Another first for TimeLine Events; we are pleased to announce that we have been invited to run an afternoon and early evening with another of Avro’s Finest, the Avro Shackleton. On Saturday the 3rd of December we will be lighting up WR963 at Coventry Airport for your pleasure, and will be bringing you some of our well-received cameos and a static engine run after dark.

The Avro Shackleton Developed from the Avro Lincoln (itself a development of the wartime Lancaster) the Shackleton came from the pen of Roy Chadwick. The aircraft took the Lincoln's wings and landing gear and mated them with a new fuselage and four Rolls-Royce Griffon engines turning huge 13ft diameter contra-rotating propellers - the distinctive sound of which gained it the nickname GROWLER! The type first flew in 1949 and would serve the RAF until 1991! Although originally designed as an anti-submarine aircraft it would also operate as maritime reconnaissance roles and later as an airborne early warning (AEW) platform.

Our day will start at 13.00 with static cameos around the plane and clean shots from many different angles. Unlike previous events with this aircraft and to aid the close up cameos further we will be limiting the attendees to around 100. Our afternoon will also see an extended engine run up as it gets dark lasting approximately 25 minutes, yes 25 minutes. This we hope will not only give the chance of capturing her with her iconic props in full tilt through the blue hour but also to give everyone plenty of time to get all the different angles on the beautiful old bird.

We will be finishing our time with WR963 at around 18.00 to allow time to vacate the Airport in good time ahead of its closing time of 18.45.

What could be a better than finishing the year on this kind of high while raising money for a very worthy cause….

Event cost £50.00 per person.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hi all,

Another month, another update on WR963. Although the weather at Coventry yesterday was absolutely Baltic cold, there were four of us braved it and got some work done.

First up was stopping the oil leak on No 1 engine. It was thought to be the timing plug, but turned out to be another plug further up on the engine block above it, with a perished gasket. Cleaning it up and refitting it cured the leak, and the cleaning up of the lower cowlings took longer than the repair itself!

Next up were some general airframe tasks, and as we were going around more stuff got noticed and added to the list. Things that could have been done over the last year or so but were missed, half done or ignored. Here's a selection of what's going to be keeping us busy over winter.

Blocked drainholes. Never a good thing, and probably the easiest bit of servicing to do. This very noticeable one on WR963's front bomb bay bulkhead has blocked up and corroded pretty badly. We'll be grinding it out and treating it as soon as possible.

DZUS fasteners on the cowlings. Several on No 4 engine have departed this life altogether, and I provided the tools to fit new ones shortly before my hiatus.

Over on No 2 engine, someone's had a go at replacement but done it in a bit of a half arsed way. The new fastener is latched, but not rivetted on as the remains of the broken clip are still in place.

Last but not least, No 4 engine's front spinner has picked up some new large dents, by way of a heavy blunt object, applied with violence. Likely done to try and 'persuade' the spinner to latch (rather than servicing the latches) its now rather deformed and tight so we're going to replace it.

So, we decided a trip to the stores was in order, as we had a bit of a shopping list! We managed to find most of the items we need, as well as discovering the contents of some of the larger boxes were a brand new fuel tank. amd another tail fin/rudder bringing the total in stock to a pair. Someone was suggesting we start trying to put VP293 "Zebedee" back to a full Shackleton again, but I think we need a few more bits yet... We also managed to find a couple of surplus coolant radiators, so if any of our Gatwick friends are reading this you need to drop my Dad a message.

One of the boxes in the store had some interesting writing on it which gave us much amusement when we opened it. All the way from Avro, half way around the world, and back, never yet used.

I metion him in passing further up this post, and we've not been neglecting "Zebedee", work has started again on more restoration for him. I got on board during a quiet moment and removed the Engineers panel blank, ready to get it cut for fitting some new switches and gauges. A nice find was in the cleaned up drawer below it, the master fuse list is still there.

Gareth Morgan is our glassfibre/composites expert, and he has taken on restoring the DF Loop fairing which came adrift earlier this year. The next few photos are his and show some of the work he's started bringing it back to a good condition.

A lot of the new work starting on Zebedee is helped by the recent gift of an AP for the MR MK 1 Shackleton.

So there we are. We're going to be sitting out November while we get a few more bits done, so the next run up will therefore be the dusk/early evening run for Timeline Events on 3rd December. The reason for deciding to get the work done now is that we want to start next year by taxying WR963 again. To make the taxying goal, there's a few bits like the brake line which blew back in April (which showed that they all need going through) and a cunning plan in the works to keep the brake pressure up to implement.

One last thing.

WR963 now proudly wearing her poppy in Remembrance of the 156 aircrew lost in Shackleton aircraft.

Regards,

Rich
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -