Airshow almost made-its

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
DeanW

Airshow almost made-its

Post by DeanW »

Been having a think about the provisional airshow participants that didn't quite make it to the event for one reason or another.

A few off the top of my head..

RAF Harrier Gr9 that crashed in Oxfordshire en route to RIAT 06
Hellenic Corsair pair that were heading to Yeovilton in 2007 but only got as far as Italy before going tech
French Mirage 2000 that got lost (!?!) over London en route to a Northolt nightshoot
German Orion that ate one of its engines before departing Nordholz for Cosford in 2015

Any more to share?

Jetnoise

Re: Airshow almost made-its

Post by Jetnoise »

South African Shackleton that did a forced landing in the desert en-route to RIAT 1994 - see http://aircraftnut.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... -saaf.html

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

F35s the first time around for RIAT (2014?)

Russ

Post by Russ »

The solo Russian Knight Su-27 at FIA 2012. With the Flanker fleet grounded a short time before after one crashed due to an engine problem.

SR-71 in the flying display at Air Fete 1989. There was one on static, but the fleet was grounded after one crashed in the sea off the Japanese coast a few weeks before the show.

F-117 at Farnborough 1990 I think?

There must be loads more...

The Flying Barrel

Post by The Flying Barrel »

IL-28 Beagle to Cottesmore but crashed a few weeks before?

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Great thread! Didn't we discuss this in John's field when Obama was in town? Or am I making that up?

I seem to remember there was a C-130 spray demo of some sort on the Biggin IAF programme in 1998?

North Weald 1998 (IIRC) was due to have a Vietnam set-piece with Skyraider, Huey etc. but it got canned after local papers caught wind of it and branded them war mongering heathens or something mental.

Mildenhall 2000 - F-104 demo didn't turn up. Gutting.

The static US Navy fighters at Air Fete 2001. I can't remember why they canned.

The Belfast was on an early Duxford September 1998 list, along with (as I recall) huge amounts of other cool stuff that dropped out.

P-38 Glacier Girl was en route to Flying Legends 2007 when she broke down. Once again, gutting.

The JATO launch Herc at RIAT... 2001? One of the ones with skis IIRC.

The 'stacks' concept at RIAT 1998 got completed shot down.

The Russian Test Pilots were due at Biggin 2001 and then cancelled, leading to TFC being drafted in (including the ill-fated P-63, I believe).

The Shackleton on its way to IAT was due to do Legends 1994 too.

Biggin Battle of Britain 2000 was due to have some mad stuff like a pair of B-52s, four Dutch F-16s (two made it), USN P-3 and others which were attending a big fandango at Plymouth, but it came to nowt. I want to blame that on the petrol crisis.
Last edited by Elliott Marsh on Wed 14 Dec 2016, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Weren't the pair of ill-fated Russian MiG-29's seen at IAT Fairford in 1993 (for the first day at any rate!) due to appear at Culdrose the same month?

Russ

Post by Russ »

MV-22 at RIAT 2000, Cottesmore. Another that Cancelled due to a crash prior to the show.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Elliott Marsh wrote:Great thread! Didn't we discuss this in John's field when Obama was in town? Or am I making that up?

We did! And I totally forgot about it until t'other day!

Aussie F-111 was planned to be at Waddington in 2010 but scrubbed after an Aardvark suffered an engine fire in Singapore. What a coup that would have been.

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

The Aeronavale NH90 that was due to make its UK flying debut at Yeovilton in 2012 was relegated to static in the week leading up to the show before failing to turn up at all on the day. Incidentally, a pair of Rafales earmarked for that display were also reduced to a single static example, although that did turn up, thankfully.
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Elliott Marsh wrote:P-38 Glacier Girl was en route to Flying Legends 1997 when she broke down. Once again, gutting.

Didn't something similar happen to Glacier Girl more recently? Or have I made that up?!
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Red Arrows - Newcastle NI 2014 - Reds were unable to do a full 9 ship practice after returning from their 2 week break due to tech issues on multiple aircraft and were forced to pull out.

Vulcan - Portrush (NI) - Multiple years before finally getting over in 2015.

The big one would be the BBMF Lancaster which missed every show she was booked for in 2015.

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

Riat 2001 Cottesmore it was I believe
Romanian Il-28/H-5 :smile:

Was even the program magazin, but run off the runway a week prior, breaking its landing gear. :sad:

Pieter

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Anyone remember the USAF LC-130 Hercules - the one with the skis - which was due at Leuchars in 2011? It apparently went tech en-route? Anyone confirm this?

MKR

Post by MKR »

As far as I can remember, there was going to be a couple of Egyptian MiG-21's at one of the Mildenhall Air Fetes in the late 80's, but they couldn't get the diplomatic clearance .
Mike

CJS

Post by CJS »

The RAMEX Delta due at Cosford in 2015.

Also the B-52 flypast at this year's show :-P (sorry Peter...)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Aswell as the Greek Corsairs, weren't we due the VAAC Harrier and a Skyhawk from Wittmund at Yeovilton in 2007?

Also, weren't we due to the painted up Italian Starfighters at RIAT 2005 ish?

Russ

Post by Russ »

Polish MiG-29 display can be added to the unfortunate Cosford 2015 list.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Dr Cake wrote:Also, weren't we due to the painted up Italian Starfighters at RIAT 2005 ish?

Can't remember if they were confirmed or just rumoured? Sure it was up to 4 examples, with one or two retiring to the CWJ at Brunty - sounds implausible in hindsight.

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Russ wrote:
Dr Cake wrote:Also, weren't we due to the painted up Italian Starfighters at RIAT 2005 ish?

Can't remember if they were confirmed or just rumoured? Sure it was up to 4 examples, with one or two retiring to the CWJ at Brunty - sounds implausible in hindsight.

Russ, recall it was four but wouldn't swear they were confirmed. Mind you, I've a strange recollection they kept going onto the daily movements sheets but never made it. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

Spanish Mirage F1s were announced at a recent RIAT I seem to remember? Then cancelled!

On a personal note, at the small airshow at Barton Airfield, the big highlight at the end was to be the Oil Spill B727 display, I believe it was already heading over and then a thunderstorm rolled in and was the only display not to make it. Still not seen it! :sad:
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

Rick

Post by Rick »

How about the Bristol Freighter that ground looped on takeoff from Enstone on the way to RIAT 1996 I think.
Lovely aircraft, saw it at one of the Lydd shows.

Rick
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Was it Romanian or Croatian MiG-21 that was confirmed for RIAT a few years ago (maybe 2010?) for the flying display, then it slipped to static display, then cancelled?

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

The infamous B52 at Blackbushe incident springs to mind and the Russian Knights for Farnborough 2012 due to whatever excuse it was in the end.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

PeterR wrote:Was it Romanian or Croatian MiG-21 that was confirmed for RIAT a few years ago (maybe 2010?) for the flying display, then it slipped to static display, then cancelled?

Remember that. It was the Romanians. Was absolutely gutted when they cancelled.