Airshow almost made-its

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Elliott Marsh

Re: Airshow almost made-its

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Seamus wrote:
Elliott Marsh wrote:P-38 Glacier Girl was en route to Flying Legends 1997 when she broke down. Once again, gutting.

Didn't something similar happen to Glacier Girl more recently? Or have I made that up?!

Quite right, and it was my error - I meant 2007. Easy mistake to make... :grin:

There was a Mk.26 Spitfire booked for Waddington once, I'm pretty sure that cancelled. Which reminds me, they scrubbed a Dave Southwood Hunter display for a dire UAV demo. Literally the worst "act" I've seen at an airshow.

CP-140 at Duxford September 2000 is another.

The Czechs (Gripen, Hind & L-159) cancelling Biggin to do, I think, Zeltweg. Can't say I blame them, Bromley is hardly Salzburg... The Kiwi 757 was also down for that show for a while, wasn't it?

Anyone remember the four He111s/CASAs due at RIAT 2000?! I'd love to know the backstory to that one.

All but 2/3 European visitors at Legends 2014...

john001

Post by john001 »

Two from Biggin Hill in the 1970s:

The Starfiighters that thought West Malling was Biggin Hill and by the time they had worked that out surprise surprise did not have enough fuel to continue.

The USAF F111 that made a flypast at 1,000ft when the cloud base was 500. And that ladies and gentleman boys and girls was the fantastic sound of the F111.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Skylinerworld wrote:Spanish Mirage F1s were announced at a recent RIAT I seem to remember? Then cancelled!

Ah yes, RIAT 2011. First announced for flying, then changed to static only, then cancelled outright.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Dr Cake wrote:
Russ wrote:
Dr Cake wrote:Also, weren't we due to the painted up Italian Starfighters at RIAT 2005 ish?

Can't remember if they were confirmed or just rumoured? Sure it was up to 4 examples, with one or two retiring to the CWJ at Brunty - sounds implausible in hindsight.

Russ, recall it was four but wouldn't swear they were confirmed. Mind you, I've a strange recollection they kept going onto the daily movements sheets but never made it. Maybe just wishful thinking.

It was RIAT 2004, and yes, they were confirmed. IIRC the number kept dropping from the original four until we were left with just one, and then even it scrubbed with no further explanation. Gutting, as that would have been the type's last ever appearance in the UK. :sad:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOB.T

Post by BOB.T »

Wasn't there a B1B that went off to gather speed for its fast pass and then performed over the wrong airfield? Could (should) have been Waddington?

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Waddington '04 listed a whole host of Hellenic items in the flying display - Corsair, Phantom, F-16 and Mirage 2000. They were then all changed to static and gradually disappeared from the list until we were just left with an F-16D.

The Flying Barrel

Post by The Flying Barrel »

Similar to the F-111 - Finningley back in the Seventies, totally fogged in only 'flying' was the sound and very brief glimpse of the then first MRCA. Gutted!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

The Flying Barrel wrote:Similar to the F-111 - Finningley back in the Seventies, totally fogged in only 'flying' was the sound and very brief glimpse of the then first MRCA. Gutted!

Dragging back through the braincells, that show was meant to be the venue for the Kings Cup air race; I think it was the ADV Tornado rather than the MRCA.

My other memory - about the same time as the fogged out Finningley was the Danish f-100 which displayed over Brize rather than Abingdon.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

RobS

Post by RobS »

In the Greenham Common days of the IAT:

1983 - two US Navy Phantoms from USS Coral Sea (cruising in the Med) were announced for the Phantom Meet but they didn't show up. Can someone confirm or deny this?
1983? - two F-106 Delta Darts (87th FIS, KI Sawyer AFB) were booked, but didn't arrive. Explanation back then was that the squadron didn't have enough pilots to fly them. Confirm/deny?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I thought the Delta Darts were rumoured for the first Fairford IAT in 1985?

A whole host of German test stuff from WTD61 was expected including a Bronco and G91 but in the end only the Canberra and an F-104 arrived from that unit, ETPS Lightning also made the programme static list.

To be honest I can't remember a lot of these such as the Greeks en masse at Waddo, or four CASA 111s at Cottesmore - where would they have come from with only one airworthy? Are they actual dropouts or just rumour mongering?

Three worst for me - The Shackleton from South Africa crashing en route to Fairford in 1994, the Be12 from the Russian Navy the same year not making it and the Harbin HJ-5 at Cottesmore 2001 having a crash landing while practising. All gutting! :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

The first Cottesmore Tattoo (July 2000) was a very cloudy and grey affair; I recall a USAF F-15 Eagle attending - only to sit on the ground both days. I'm sure something heavier was listed (possibly a South African 747 maybe even a B-52H) that didn't appear, on a Sunday when I attended. It was a heavily disrupted show on both days though.

CJS

Post by CJS »

The whole of RIAT 2008?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I remember the CASA/Heinkel 111s that were scheduled to appear at Cottesmore in 2000. They were replaced in the Battle of Britain commemorations by a South African Airways DC-6 pretending to be a German bomber.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Skyflash wrote:It was RIAT 2004, and yes, they were confirmed. IIRC the number kept dropping from the original four until we were left with just one, and then even it scrubbed with no further explanation. Gutting, as that would have been the type's last ever appearance in the UK. :sad:

Knew it was 04 or 05 but no idea which! I heard no explanation either. Rather frustrating.

paulb1973 wrote:The first Cottesmore Tattoo (July 2000) was a very cloudy and grey affair; I recall a USAF F-15 Eagle attending - only to sit on the ground both days. I'm sure something heavier was listed (possibly a South African 747 maybe even a B-52H) that didn't appear, on a Sunday when I attended. It was a heavily disrupted show on both days though.

Did Weds-Fri at Cottesmore 2000. Roasting hot on Friday with pretty good light if I recall. Think Weds and Thurs were nice too. Couldn't believe the reports I got from people there on Saturday. Vaguely recall someone telling me it was a record breaking temperature change over 24 hours. No idea how true that was!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I seem to remember that there was supposed to be a Flypast with both the Red Arrows and Korean Black Eagles together at Waddington Airshow in 2012. I saw both Teams display but no Flypast with both.

Did the FLYPAST actually happen?

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:I thought the Delta Darts were rumoured for the first Fairford IAT in 1985?

Three worst for me - The Shackleton from South Africa crashing en route to Fairford in 1994, the Be12 from the Russian Navy the same year not making it and the Harbin HJ-5 at Cottesmore 2001 having a crash landing while practising. All gutting! :sad:

Canadian CF-5s were rumoured in '85 too..
Totally with you on the 3 listed, as you know.. And Fifi missing Nellis :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

TouchDown

Post by TouchDown »

I seem to remember that there was supposed to be a Flypast with both the Red Arrows and Korean Black Eagles together at Waddington Airshow in 2012. I saw both Teams display but no Flypast with both.

Did the FLYPAST actually happen?

The flypast did not take place. Timings for the flypast on one day were worked out but; unfortunately, the required authorisation could not be obtained.

TD

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

There was the unique Vulcan & Sally B flypast as the finale of Old Sarum 'Help the Para's' Air-show 2015. Sadly the Vulcan threw a red warning light just after an air to air photo-sortie off the South Coast & it set course direct rtb to 'Finningley/ Doncaster', missing both Goodwood & Old Sarum.
Obviously an unrepeatable photo-op! :wall:

The Flying Barrel

Post by The Flying Barrel »

TU22 @ Fairford, waited at the P+V for ages and eventually we could see movement in the distance, luckily it taxied to the Kempsford end and sat on the keys, engines spooled up just waiting for those blue burners to plug in............only to hear the throttles to idle and slow taxi to park up and crew depart. :sad: Something to do with the IFF?

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

My most recent disappointment was when Vera missed Shoreham in 2014.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

st24

Post by st24 »

The Flying Barrel wrote:TU22 @ Fairford, waited at the P+V for ages and eventually we could see movement in the distance, luckily it taxied to the Kempsford end and sat on the keys, engines spooled up just waiting for those blue burners to plug in............only to hear the throttles to idle and slow taxi to park up and crew depart. :sad: Something to do with the IFF?

Yeh.. but it did actually get to Fairford.....- the kind of point of this thread...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Going way back - I recall attending my local airshow (RAFA show at Coventry Airport) in both 1982/83 - on one of those years the BBMF Lancaster was scheduled to appear in the flying display. But, alas it never made it into the air (it was possibly on the ground at Coventry) I assume the weather/wind was outside its display limits? - although it may have been a completely different reason.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Don't think it's been mentioned, but a French C-135 was pencilled for RIAT in 2012 which failed to materialise. Likewise, a Colombian 707 was pencielled for RIAT 2013, but didn't make it, if I recall correctly.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

A few others:

- South African 747, Super Hornet, B-52, proportion of Ukrainian participants (including Ukranian Falcons, Su-27, Su-24 and Tu-134), Austrian Skyvan & PC6s, lost from RIAT 2000

- C-141 Hanoi Taxi and various other gems from RIAT 2005

- Asas de Portugal - the reincarnated team made it to the cancelled RIAT 2008 but disbanding prior to RIAT 2009, despite being confirmed for that show

- Recall the Serbians came close to participating in RIAT 2010 (was said at the time the plan was for an Orao but finances prevented it happening)

- The annual addition and cancellation of the Dutch Constellation for many years at Waddington (flying display each year if I remember correctly)

Would recommend a browse through old pre-show participation lists & news items on the Internet Archive, some make for fascinating reading. :cuppa: