NTM 2017

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
john001

NTM 2017

Post by john001 »

Can anyone advise if the spotters days are usually held at the beginning or end of the meet?

thanks

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: NTM 2017

Post by boff180 »

Usually towards the end.

There are a number of us eagerly awaiting the date to sort travel plans :-)

john001

Post by john001 »

Thanks for the info

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

I was kinda hoping that at least one of the 'spotter days' would be towards the beginning of the Meet, so that there might be an opportunity to do a joint excursion taking in both NTM, and the airshow at La Ferte Alais, which is planed for the weekend of June 3rd/4th.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Last time at Landivisiau the spotters day was held the day before they held what was a superb airshow, so you had the arrivals coming in as well which included everything in the French Navy inventory at the time with the exception of the E-2s which were in the process of being upgraded.

The active taxiway was between you and the main runway similar to KB or Cambrai for those who've been, with lots of posing. The runway was a little distant, but probably better with digital. They also led tours around the active ramps. A very good set up, hopefully next year will be similar. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

john001 wrote:Can anyone advise if the spotters days are usually held at the beginning or end of the meet?

thanks

Think they're usually sometime in the middle. Following on from caper's Landivisiau 08 report, I'm fairly certain the excellent KB 09 spottersday was the week 1 Friday. Sanicole was on the Sunday but we didn't bother with it. From memory, the 50th at Cambrai had three - week 1 Wednesday (best weather I think and the one we attended) and week 2 Monday and Tuesday. The show was on Sunday - we went. This year they had it on the week 1 Friday followed by an Open House on the Saturday. Both had issues but worthwhile overall nonetheless. Not sure about other meets.

I'm hoping Landivisiau go for spottersday Friday / airshow Saturday. Whatever happens, I'll be going. I'm fairly certain I read last time around that the approach shots outside were good and possibly even better than the spottersday. We shall see!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

When people talk about an airshow at a Tiger Meet, do you mean a full blown airshow or more a case of the participating tiger aircraft going up and charging about?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

The Baron wrote:When people talk about an airshow at a Tiger Meet, do you mean a full blown airshow or more a case of the participating tiger aircraft going up and charging about?

Good question and in my fairly limited experience highly variable.

As far as I remember (and chatting to some of the esteemed characters on here), Landivisiau had a full airshow. I heard it was pretty good but it would be good to hear more detail on this.

KB didn't have one but it was of course heavily involved in Sanicole.

Cambrai had a full blown airshow at the other base. I seem to recall a fly through of the tiger tails, the French Army Tiger and the Slovak Mig-29 but generally there wasn't that much tiger action (unfortunately) although I'm happy to be corrected. It does seem rather a long time ago now.

Zargaoza didn't advertise their Saturday event as an airshow. It was always down as an Open House but details were rather to scant to put it politely. We got the tiger stuff on static but don't recall anything tigerish flying - just the standard Spanish stuff, Belgian 16 and French Navy Rafale pair from memory. Enjoyable and relaxed.

... and have course we had a superb and full airshow at the 97 meet .....

So we'll just have to wait and see.

st24

Post by st24 »

The French have always been pretty good in organising a full on show around their meets and, as caper hinted at the '08 landivisiau show was absolutely superb. Hopefully they will maintain that next year. Other nations have had spotter days or low key open days ( as at Zaragoza where the only tiger scheme flying was the lovely home team Hornet) helped by the fact that a lot of solo display items seem to be provided by Tiger units and so by default, a strong flying display is almost guaranteed. Air show or not I love Tiger meets just for the amount and variety of types on view, great atmosphere and all those lovely colours... :rock: :cool: :heyhey:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Dr Cake wrote:
The Baron wrote:When people talk about an airshow at a Tiger Meet, do you mean a full blown airshow or more a case of the participating tiger aircraft going up and charging about?

Cambrai had a full blown airshow at the other base. I seem to recall a fly through of the tiger tails, the French Army Tiger and the Slovak Mig-29 but generally there wasn't that much tiger action (unfortunately) although I'm happy to be corrected. It does seem rather a long time ago now.

From memory, not just the Slovak Mig and French Tigre, but also Swiss F-18, French Rafale, Czech Hind and Austrian Saab 105, fly by local Mirage 2000s with a Morane 406, plus a role demo by the Italian AB212. These supplemented the other French air force acts (Catrouche Doré, Extra 330 of Equipe, Alpha Jet de Voltige and Patrouille de France), not to mention a bucketload of civilian displays, which included for instance the Tiger Club's Turbulent team abnd some Tiger Moths, Duxford's F-86 with special tiger stickers because of the pilot displaying it, though the other acts did not have such tiger links :grin:

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

st24 wrote:The French have always been pretty good in organising a full on show around their meets and, as caper hinted at the '08 landivisiau show was absolutely superb. Hopefully they will maintain that next year. Other nations have had spotter days or low key open days ( as at Zaragoza where the only tiger scheme flying was the lovely home team Hornet) helped by the fact that a lot of solo display items seem to be provided by Tiger units and so by default, a strong flying display is almost guaranteed. Air show or not I love Tiger meets just for the amount and variety of types on view, great atmosphere and all those lovely colours... :rock: :cool: :heyhey:

You're right! Forgot about the Spanish Hornet. It was the tiger scheme. Didn't get any meaningful shots as I'm sure it went up first and the light was rather challenging.

Chrisse wrote:From memory, not just the Slovak Mig and French Tigre, but also Swiss F-18, French Rafale, Czech Hind and Austrian Saab 105, fly by local Mirage 2000s with a Morane 406, plus a role demo by the Italian AB212. These supplemented the other French air force acts (Catrouche Doré, Extra 330 of Equipe, Alpha Jet de Voltige and Patrouille de France), not to mention a bucketload of civilian displays, which included for instance the Tiger Club's Turbulent team abnd some Tiger Moths, Duxford's F-86 with special tiger stickers because of the pilot displaying it, though the other acts did not have such tiger links :grin:

Just had a quick look back to jog my memory. Got the Mirage 2000s and Italian AB212s! Appear to have missed the rest. Two possible reasons:
(1) Cleared off just before 5 pm so we could make progress getting home.
(2) My mate was feeling ill so we stayed by our car looking onto the northern runway.

One stand out item for me was the Flamants. :smile:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

True enough, the show went on until after 19:00 :shock: Most of the high performance acts came towards the end.

st24

Post by st24 »

Chrisse wrote:True enough, the show went on until after 19:00 :shock: Most of the high performance acts came towards the end.

I seem to recall the Slovak MiG-29 returning to Épinoy and entering the run and break circuit inverted, wing waving! :wave: :rock:

st24

Post by st24 »

Thurs 8th & Weds 14th June for spotters days. Now, which one?!?!! No info re an open day as yet.

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

st24 wrote:Now, which one?!?!!

Both ? :grin:
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

st24

Post by st24 »

zigzag wrote:
st24 wrote:Now, which one?!?!!

Both ? :grin:

Hmm, a week in Brittany - I've spent longer in worse places!! :grin:

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Guess the timing of the Spotters Day means there'll be no weekend Open Day / Airshow this year then? :hide:

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Guess the timing of the Spotters Day means there'll be no weekend Open Day / Airshow this year then? :hide:

We were just discussing this earlier. Suspect you are right and might explain why they are doing two spottersdays this time around instead.

It will almost certainly be the 8th for us. :smile:

Andy L

Post by Andy L »

The speculation here in France is that there won't be an airshow because there are French legislative elections
on the 11th & 18th June.
On a happier note Brittany Ferries have a promo (enjoy now!) running until 20 Feb giving up to 15% off ferry travel.
You have to book through the French site & pay in Euros You can do the maths to see if it works out cheaper.

Happy sailing
Andy

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Those dates are highly annoying... I had every intention of doing this one, but either way it's now going to involve taking at least four days off work and I'm not sure I can afford the time. Misery.

:sad:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Skyflash wrote:Those dates are highly annoying... I had every intention of doing this one, but either way it's now going to involve taking at least four days off work and I'm not sure I can afford the time. Misery.

Looks like I'm out now too. A weekend airshow I could do, but I can't justify the time off for a mid week day. Damn.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Would anyone be interested in a flight in a VIP aircraft from Birmingham to Brest and back on the same day, with coach transfers and spotters day tickets included?

Due to the aircraft it won't be cheap, but just exploring some options as it seems most UK charter airlines aren't interested :(

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Skyflash wrote:Those dates are highly annoying... I had every intention of doing this one, but either way it's now going to involve taking at least four days off work and I'm not sure I can afford the time. Misery.

Was really hoping to do this trip with three days off work but unfortunately its going to be four. :sad:

That said, even assuming no show on Saturday, we'll get three full days there so it should be a good outing. Every tiger meet I've been to has been really worthwhile and everything I've heard about Landivisiau has been very positive.

Really hope that you can make it. A lot of good folk planning on going. FYI - heard a rumour today that there will be no fast jets at JW-1 so no Cairngorms/Lossie combo trip this spring - maybe October........ :smile:

frank

Post by frank »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:Would anyone be interested in a flight in a VIP aircraft from Birmingham to Brest and back on the same day, with coach transfers and spotters day tickets included?

Due to the aircraft it won't be cheap, but just exploring some options as it seems most UK charter airlines aren't interested :(

How about flying from Shoreham - much cheaper

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

frank wrote:
Hampshire Aviation wrote:How about flying from Shoreham - much cheaper

1) What's the biggest aircraft that could operate from the airfield?
2) Consider the positioning costs to/from Shoreham. (Whereas there are Charter operators with aircraft based at BHX).
3) Shoreham won't have a high enough crash category for passenger flights.
4) Target market for passengers, Birmingham is central to many more people.