President Trump

President Trump

Postby Spiny Norman on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:05 pm

Might have been incredible a few months ago but now a reality.

What do you think? Will he go down in history as a crowning success or a clown?
I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
Spiny Norman

Re: President Trump

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:27 pm

I don't think it will make too much difference to be honest. There are so many checks and balances which can be used to obstruct a president if congress or the courts want to that these days its a largely symbolic post. As there is a Republican majority in the House he may be able to get more of his ideas through (or at least take credit on Twitter for Republican successes) - Obama was a lame duck president painted into a corner by the Republican majority.

The Yanks have only got themselves to blame - if out of 350m people the best candidate to run the show was a fake tanned, nylon haired, misogynist multi time bankrupt then they really should go back to square one and start rebuilding both the election process and the country from the ground up.
speedbird2639

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:34 pm

It will be interesting to see his first defence policies within the first few months. Will it see major changes/ re-location within their European military assets?

EDIT:
Apart from the re-birth of the "missile defence shield"
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
Red Dragon

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:10 pm

Can't be any worst than some of his predecessors.
And unlike some, for all his bluster & rhetoric he doesn't appear to be a warmonger.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby TKK 140 on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:34 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:Might have been incredible a few months ago but now a reality.

What do you think? Will he go down in history as a crowning success or a clown?

He has just started so too early to tell, good question for when his tenure in the Whitehouse ends.

My main question is will he reshape Nato and make all those shamefully not contributing 2% of GDP pay up. Or will Nato come to an end? Extending Nato to former Eastern European Soviet Satellites always was a highly questionable decision for a hatful of reasons. Let's see.
Last edited by TKK 140 on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TKK 140

Postby Elliott Marsh on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:42 pm

So much to say, so little time - but the immediate removal of all references to climate change and LGBT rights from the White House website sets the tone, doesn't it? His administration will set America back decades. That's progress for you, I guess.

A vile man who I loathe so very much for myriad reasons. He makes Nigel Farage look saintly by comparison.
Elliott Marsh

Postby CJS on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:26 pm

I hope he is remembered as a misogynistic, racist, orange buffoon; one who was surrounded by people at least slightly less stupid than himself and so not one who lead the U.S. down the river without a canoe.

He's a total arse. Good luck America, it's only 4 years after all - with a bit of luck he'll be impeached before then.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:28 pm

Good luck America, it's only 4 years after all

They voted for George Dubya twice - nothing to say they won't repeat the stupidity with the Don.
speedbird2639

Postby TKK 140 on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:25 pm

CJS wrote:I hope he is remembered as a misogynistic, racist, orange buffoon; one who was surrounded by people at least slightly less stupid than himself and so not one who lead the U.S. down the river without a canoe.

He's a total arse. Good luck America, it's only 4 years after all - with a bit of luck he'll be impeached before then.

Has he done that all in two hours? The question is what will President Trump be remembered for. We don't quite know yet. He is like a "Rupert", we recognise the commission, not the man.

I have no liking for the man one way or the other. But on just one point, consider this, he is a Billionaire business man, and what are we? He may be all the things you suggest, but stupid is most definitely not one of them.
TKK 140

Postby CJS on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 10:00 pm

Stupidity manifests itself in many ways. In my book, he is the supreme example of stupidity. On so many levels it's an appropriate adjective.
CJS

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:34 pm

I can't see him completing a full term. His closet will be full of impeachable-worthy skeletons. And I imagine the assassination risk is many, many times greater than for any President in a long time.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby TKK 140 on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:37 pm

CJS wrote:Stupidity manifests itself in many ways. In my book, he is the supreme example of stupidity. On so many levels it's an appropriate adjective.

Ignorant, arrogant might be more descriptive and appropriate labels for you to consider. You don't get to be a Billionaire without some intellegence, therefore stupidity, an over used word here, is not the right description in my book.

If he did "lead the U.S. down the river without a canoe". he would be conjuring miracles.
TKK 140

Postby tankbuster81 on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:03 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I can't see him completing a full term. His closet will be full of impeachable-worthy skeletons. And I imagine the assassination risk is many, many times greater than for any President in a long time.

My thoughts exactly.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:30 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I can't see him completing a full term. His closet will be full of impeachable-worthy skeletons. And I imagine the assassination risk is many, many times greater than for any President in a long time.

When Clinton came to power very similar things were said about him and his "colourful" private life. Later we had "dress gate" and the lies following that. Did he get impeached? No!
Trump will only get impeached if he falls foul of the vested interest old money elite.
TKK 140

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:41 am

TKK 140 wrote:

When Clinton came to power very similar things were said about him and his "colourful" private life. Later we had "dress gate" and the lies following that. Did he get impeached? No!
Trump will only get impeached if he falls foul of the vested interest old money elite.

In no way were "similar things" said about Clinton when he took power. Clinton was a career politician, a former Arkansas governor with a long career of public service. There wasn't widespread civil unrest when he won the election, he never made racist comments, nor threatened to build a wall to keep out Mexicans. He wasn't in bed with malevolent foreign leaders either.

So, yes, you're right, just like Trump.

Really, you don't help yourself, do you?
Dan O'Hagan

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 9:44 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:

In no way were "similar things" said about Clinton when he took power. Clinton was a career politician, a former Arkansas governor with a long career of public service. There wasn't widespread civil unrest when he won the election, he never made racist comments, nor threatened to build a wall to keep out Mexicans. He wasn't in bed with malevolent foreign leaders either.

O'H
And Clinton had a long history of flandering and denial of that before taking office, leading up to the Monica Lewinsky scandal. Lied about that did he not? To my mind he had similar "skeletons. The Panorama program on the Beeb covered it all in some detail. Meaning he was not perfect rather than had an exact match of weaknesses.

Glad to see that the name calling has been tamed, need to work on those patronising last lines, however we are making progress, albeit very slowly.
TKK 140

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 9:58 am

TKK 140 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:

O'H
And Clinton had a long history of flandering and denial of that before taking office, leading up to the Monica Lewinsky scandal. Lied about that did he not? To my mind he had similar "skeletons. The Panorama program on the Beeb covered it all in some detail. Meaning he was not perfect rather than had an exact match of weaknesses.

Glad to see that the name calling has been tamed, need to work on those patronising last lines, however we are making progress, albeit very slowly.

What's "flandering"? Anything like "philandering"?
Dan O'Hagan

Postby strangelookingalien on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:10 am

Gee whizz. More passive aggressive corrections rather than 1) continuing with the debate or 2) offering to help the guy out...

Anyway.

I don't really understand the furor about the wall. The idea is to keep illegal immigrants out (something that Obama's administration worked towards): however impractical it is, its not a gigantic racist statement - its just an attempt to reduce the number of illegal immigrants, which can only be a good thing for legitimate immigrants (which are the basis of the USA).
strangelookingalien

Postby Spiny Norman on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:12 am

Clinton was impeached, and was acquitted.

The worrying thing for me is Trump's relationship with Russia.

If you look at it this way, imagine if it was found that Ronald Reagan had benefitted from USSR interference in his election? Not only would have to resign immediately, he would be impeached for not defending the constitution properly. This sort of scandal would stop a career in its tracks.
I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
Spiny Norman

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:21 am

Spiny Norman wrote:Clinton was impeached, and was acquitted.

The worrying thing for me is Trump's relationship with Russia.

If you look at it this way, imagine if it was found that Ronald Reagan had benefitted from USSR interference in his election? Not only would have to resign immediately, he would be impeached for not defending the constitution properly. This sort of scandal would stop a career in its tracks.

Exactly. I fully expect treason charges to be brought at some point over Trump's relationship with Russia. Not a cat in hell's chance he'll see out a full term.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby CJS on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:36 am

Let's hope so Dan.

I really don't think people should forget the disgraceful nonsense he has sprouted in the past. Apparently there are over 1000 lawsuits against him. He has put on record clearly racist comments and said something to offend pretty much everyone at some point. I would argue too that you can have intelligence and be stupid.

To compare him to Clinton - as the previous poster did - is truly absurd.

Clearly, he is effective when it comes to making money. What that manifestly does not make him is an appropriate President.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong. Somehow I doubt it.
CJS

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 11:35 am

CJS wrote:Let's hope so Dan.

I really don't think people should forget the disgraceful nonsense he has sprouted in the past. Apparently there are over 1000 lawsuits against him. He has put on record clearly racist comments and said something to offend pretty much everyone at some point. I would argue too that you can have intelligence and be stupid.

To compare him to Clinton - as the previous poster did - is truly absurd.

Clearly, he is effective when it comes to making money. What that manifestly does not make him is an appropriate President.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong. Somehow I doubt it.

His comments are not to be forgotten and they reflect on him.
The comparison draws on the reservations discussed before Clinton's election. Which played out into a scandal, without going into the details, in the whitehouse with an intern and lying about it after.

More business people would get more done than the waffling career politicians who these days shuffle policies weekly which ever way they think will please the public.

You maybe right, you maybe wrong we will have to wait and see.
TKK 140

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 11:56 am

strangelookingalien wrote:Gee whizz. More passive aggressive corrections rather than 1) continuing with the debate or 2) offering to help the guy out...

Anyway.

I don't really understand the furor about the wall. The idea is to keep illegal immigrants out (something that Obama's administration worked towards): however impractical it is, its not a gigantic racist statement - its just an attempt to reduce the number of illegal immigrants, which can only be a good thing for legitimate immigrants (which are the basis of the USA).

Lack of consideration why spelling mistakes (retched auto correct apart) may occur and constantly harping on about them is prejudicial in itself, it's rather ironic.
Last edited by TKK 140 on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TKK 140

Postby AlexC on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:06 pm

TKK 140 wrote:Extending Nato to former Eastern European Soviet Satellites always was a highly questionable decision for a hatful of reasons. Let's see.

I've always thought that was a foolish thing to do. I was of course pleased when they regained their independence (especially Poland), but to then immediately enrol them into NATO was obviously going to alarm the Russians with fears of encirclement.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 1:26 pm

AlexC wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:Extending Nato to former Eastern European Soviet Satellites always was a highly questionable decision for a hatful of reasons. Let's see.

I've always thought that was a foolish thing to do. I was of course pleased when they regained their independence (especially Poland), but to then immediately enrol them into NATO was obviously going to alarm the Russians with fears of encirclement.

I too am very pleased they are free and I've met some wonderful people in some of those countries.

I am no lover of V Putin, but put yourself in his mind.
West invade at a whim on a lie; WMD = In his mind why not support Assad in Syria, the west do what they want.
Expansionism of Nato
EU meddling in the Ukraine. Ukraine invaded after the winter Olympics and the toothless West, in this case the EU meddlers did nothing. absolutely nothing, apart from Sanctions, which only make the people suffer. He only took action because of elements in the Ukraine being persuaded to aspire to be EU members. All this as the Olympic Flag came down, some challenge that! The Chllr. Merkel and B Obama relationship had no answer too it.
They gave VP the excuse as he saw it to use force, blood on the EU hands.
What a mess.
TKK 140

Next

Return to Off Topic