PL965 returns

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

PL965 returns

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Hangar 11's Spitfire PL965 had it's first flight for what must be going on 18 months (?) back on January 14th. Popped in last Saturday (21st) to see if there was any sign of a repeat performance, but got there about 5 minutes too late to get in position for any departure photos. Waiting around for two hours for the return and got these - too close for the 70-300 really but didn't want to venture too far out onto the wet and muddy grass.

Nothing else of note happening - reading between the lines, I gather that all classic jets are currently grounded due to some CAA directive?

Supermarine Spitfire PR MkXI PL965 'R' (G-MKXI) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, January 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire PR MkXI PL965 'R' (G-MKXI) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, January 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Re: PL965 returns

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Lovely light on those.

Just can't warm to PL965 though, probably the least interesting to me of H11's stable.

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Just can't warm to PL965 though, probably the least interesting to me of H11's stable.

I must disagree - perhaps it is in part knowing that these spitfires were flown long distances, 'armed' only with cameras. Also seeing this plane coming in low and fast at Old Warden is one of my favourite sights of an airshow season.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Agree about the lighting conditions.

When luck allows, winter lighting like this is absolutely perfect. :love:

Nice shots, Dan. I should probably google, but any news of when his "Russian Spitfire" will break cover?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

No idea Tommy. The painted fuselage was supposed to be revealed at an open day back in 2014, but that never happened because the flyers took priority. Haven't heard anything new since then really.

Maybe if Steve sees this thread he might be able to elaborate.

As for PL965, PR Spitfires didn't come in the most eye catching colour schemes, but it's highly authentic and a unique Mark amongst the world's airworthy Spitfires. Certainly not to be sniffed at when its on your doorstep, and I'm looking forward to seeing NWHA's Griffon Spit in action for that reason.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Cracking shots from your favourite haunt as always Dan! I also have to disagree with DanO, I do find the PR Spitfires very interesting just given what an opposite role they played to the original intent. Though maybe that wasn't what you were going for. I also think it's looks cracking in that one tone blue - it shows off the lines so well!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

andy759

Post by andy759 »

hi
really liked her when she was pink too

andy

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Dan O, in all seriousness are there any aircraft your ARE fond of?

I would love to know if there's a particular airframe or even type that you like?

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Sorry Dano I have a soft spot for her.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!