Live arrivals - I need your advice!

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
boff180
UKAR Staff

Live arrivals - I need your advice!

Post by boff180 »

Hi All,

The past few years I've ran live arrivals from RIAT posting images of aircraft arriving in real time on the forum.

To do this I use a portable wireless router and an Eye-Fi SD Card which connects to the network and transfers every JPEG taken automatically to my iPad.

Eye-Fi in their wisdom have now "bricked" my card to try and force an upgrade so it will not work, only a month later to sell their business to Ricoh who want a monthly fee to use the system!

I now face a dilemma - I cannot find an alternative WiFi SD Card that is capable of connecting to an existing Wifi Network. All others only produce their own Wifi Hotspot that you must connect to. Some allow for pass through to another network for an internet connect but the wifi is only active when the camera is turned on, draining the battery in this mode.

All options open to me (a new WiFi SD Card or using the cameras inbuilt Wifi) involve having to constantly switch Wifi networks on my ipad/iphone which I don't really want to do. I don't want to do a hardwire connection either as cables in the FRIAT stand could result in disaster.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone know of another WIFI SD card manufacturer whose devices can connect to other networks directly? I've checked all the main brands with no luck (Transcend, Toshiba, EZ_Share).

Help!

Thanks

Andy

BDL

Re: Live arrivals - I need your advice!

Post by BDL »

Can you not run a mobile hotspot and get the camera and iPad to talk via that? Or is that too simple?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

BDL wrote:Can you not run a mobile hotspot and get the camera and iPad to talk via that? Or is that too simple?

The wifi in the D7200 is limited to running its own wifi network for connection to smart devices only. Sadly it won't connect to any other network.

It means having to constantly swap between the cameras wifi and my mobile wifi which not only drains the iPad battery but is also a pain in the arse!

ns_sherlock

Post by ns_sherlock »

Isn't that what snapbridge is for?

BDL

Post by BDL »

boff180 wrote:
BDL wrote:Can you not run a mobile hotspot and get the camera and iPad to talk via that? Or is that too simple?

The wifi in the D7200 is limited to running its own wifi network for connection to smart devices only. Sadly it won't connect to any other network.

It means having to constantly swap between the cameras wifi and my mobile wifi which not only drains the iPad battery but is also a pain in the arse!

Ah yes, thought you'd upgraded to D500, now get what you mean. It would mean juggling kit, wires, etc Not something you really want to be doing at the back of the stand!

Would a wifi enabled bridge camera be the way forward?

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

I'm not sure if this is too complicated for what you need but I think this allows for the transfer of images via USB / WiFi to a connected device...

http://dslrdashboard.info/introduction/

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

Did you get this sorted Boff?
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.