Greenham Common ATC tower: RIAT - internal contact required

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
NickB

Greenham Common ATC tower: RIAT - internal contact required

Post by NickB »

Hi there,
Bit of a long shot this, but does anyone have a contact at RIAT whose responsibility is around the airshow printed programme that they could share with me please?

The old Greenham Common ATC tower is being restored with a view to be opened to the public as a museum/coffee shop. I know many spotters have fond memories of the early Greenham Common IAT airshows and the thought is a RIAT airshow programme article might help drive awareness of the GC project and subsequent visitors etc.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
Last edited by NickB on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiatMarketing

Re: RIAT - internal contact required

Post by RiatMarketing »

Hi Nick,

Send us an email to enquiries@rafcte.com and we will pass it on to the relevant person.
Air Tattoo Marketing Team

NickB

Post by NickB »

RiatMarketing wrote:Hi Nick,

Send us an email to enquiries@rafcte.com and we will pass it on to the relevant person.

Thanks RIATMarketing.

The email might not come from me but from someone else involved in the tower resto.

Great stuff - thanks again! :smile:

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

Hi Nick, any news on when the tower will be finished? You've got a local here waiting to use the facilities... :smile:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I have a great fondness for anything involving Greenham Common. So much so that I have loaned all my Air Tattoo programmes, right back to 1973, photos and other material I have collected over the years to the committee who are restoring the tower. They came and collected it last year and have it safe apparently. I have been invited to the official opening which I understand now to be summer this year (finances permitting of course).Apparently they are going to be used for a specific Air Tattoo exhibition within the tower.
Coincidently, I made a visit enroute from a weekend away last week and for those who haven't seen it, this is what it looks like now. Apologies for the quality as they were taken on my phone camera.

...Rad shutters auto.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

A coffee shop in a control tower?

"Is this heaven? No, it's Greenham Common"

Can't wait.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

NickB

Post by NickB »

Every control tower I've worked in have always had coffee (and more besides) on tap! :wink:

I agree, when the GC tower opens, it will be a great day :smile:

NickB

UPDATE: Greenham Common ATC tower

Post by NickB »

West Berks Council had a promotional stand in the ATC tower car park on Monday - work continues on the tower and the latest estimate is it will be opening in November 2017. Shame it can't be opened for the Summer, but there you go!

I understand the internal structure was in a much worse state than they expected, but it is now water tight and in good shape - thank God it hasn't gone the way of many other towers and been demolished!

As and when I hear more, I'll provide updates here.

They also have a FB site, if anyone is interested:

https://www.facebook.com/GreenhamControlTower/

keithjs

Re: Greenham Common ATC tower: RIAT - internal contact requi

Post by keithjs »

For those interested in anything Greenham Common related you might be interested in this open day/event being held on the south side business park on Sept 8th/9th. Hopefully we might get a preview of the tower then.

https://www.facebook.com/GreenhamWP17/?fref=ts
...Rad shutters auto.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Hi Everybody
Does anybody have the postcode for the Control Tower and also is the old Missile site close to the Tower. Many Thanks in advance. :smile:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

patrouille2001 wrote:Hi Everybody
Does anybody have the postcode for the Control Tower and also is the old Missile site close to the Tower. Many Thanks in advance. :smile:

Try these:
Greenham and Crookham Commons
Burys Bank Road
Thatcham
Berkshire
RG19 8DB (nearest to Control Tower car park)

And

Greenham Common GLCM Alert and Maintenance Area
Greenham Common Cycleway
Thatcham
RG19 8XR
...Rad shutters auto.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Mega Thanks for reply. Paul :smile:

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Sorry for being a pain for asking more questions, I was wondering if it is able to take photos of the missile site and can you walk around freely.

Once again Mega Thanks :smile:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Short answer is no chance...Believe me I've tried...The guy that owns the site was/is a right pain. I think most people on here know who I mean and there were reports years ago he was using the area for warbird storage....but how true that is I don't know. Even my contacts at the tower have had a rough time with him. To the extent that some dog walkers won't go over that part of the common. Whether things will change in the future is anyone's guess. If you google them you'll find loads of photos from people who have jumped the fence etc and there's a nice one done with a drone too but still not quite the same as being there yourself. You can get right up to the fence but that's about it.
Sorry I can't be more positive, but if someone does know how to legally get a look around I'm in!!
...Rad shutters auto.

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

had a quick look on flickr, and found these................. :wink:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=greenham%20common
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

keithjs wrote:Short answer is no chance...Believe me I've tried...The guy that owns the site was/is a right pain. I think most people on here know who I mean and there were reports years ago he was using the area for warbird storage....but how true that is I don't know. Even my contacts at the tower have had a rough time with him. To the extent that some dog walkers won't go over that part of the common. Whether things will change in the future is anyone's guess. If you google them you'll find loads of photos from people who have jumped the fence etc and there's a nice one done with a drone too but still not quite the same as being there yourself. You can get right up to the fence but that's about it.
Sorry I can't be more positive, but if someone does know how to legally get a look around I'm in!!

I thought it was "owned" by English Heritage, as that who pinewood had to deal with to use the site

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I thought it was "owned" by English Heritage, as that who pinewood had to deal with to use the site[/quote]

You may well be right....I only know of it's previous 'tenant'. If it is there could well be a better chance of getting inside sometime? :smile:
...Rad shutters auto.