Swiss PC-7 team incident this morning

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
davidjones533

Swiss PC-7 team incident this morning

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

capercaillie

Re: Swiss PC-7 team incident this morning

Post by capercaillie »

Not an ideal looking display box!

Be interesting to see the damage on the PC-7, should imagine the cable was quite high tension. :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

For the Swiss Air Force, hopefully not a continuation of last years' bad luck? For the people on the ground, incredible good luck!
Amazing that the debris from the camera & cable-grip landed in the confines of the downhill course & Ice-rink, which appeared unoccupied at the time. More incredible is the aircraft didn't seem to have lost any parts. It's hard to see when it actually 'twanged' the wire.
My Mum used to say sumfink about "twanging ur wire not being good for eyesight"....maybe this is what she meant? :wink:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Mmmm! Wonder if the camera was there in the pre-display safety visit?
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

capercaillie wrote:Not an ideal looking display box!

Be interesting to see the damage on the PC-7, should imagine the cable was quite high tension. :shock:

My GCE physics suggests increased tension in the wire should if anything make it part easier: what matters is the absolute shear strength of the wire? Happy to be corrected.....

John

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Just watched the video.

I don't think it was a high tensile steel cable that broke.

There are three cables visible, two look like the high tensile supports the mount ran on and the third looks like the datacable.

It's the latter that appears to be cut by the lower left (on screen) aircraft as it breaks....

Watching that second angle, the data cable snags on the aircraft and the camera mount is rapidly dragged at speed.... the cable eventually snaps and at the point the sudden deceleration results in the camera catapulting out of its mount.... and falling to the ground. The mount staying in situ as the two main cables were untouched.

That would also explain the reported lack of or minimal damage to the PC-7... it was a power/data cable not a steel one.

Andy

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

ArabJazzie wrote:Mmmm! Wonder if the camera was there in the pre-display safety visit?

Exactly what I was thinking, overlooked in my view.