St Lucia

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Rick

St Lucia

Post by Rick »

Afternoon All,

Reading posts on here from a while ago it seems that since 9/11 spotting and photography of civil aircraft at St Lucias two airports is actually illegal !
I presume this is still the case but can any on here confirm please.

Cheers

Richard
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

farnboroughrob

Re: St Lucia

Post by farnboroughrob »

Hi we went to St Lucia in 2006 to get married. I was asked to remove myself from the sleepy permiter road after a few hours after being told it was in deed illegal to spot. There is a great beach that over looks the climbout but it faces south. Should you wish to risk it there is a dead end road that runs parallel to the runway and there is a tree lined bank that will take you above the fence line. However you are in full view of the tower. I was told that the American eagle ATR crew were uneasy with my presence! La Toc beach is also good for views.
BTW if you are staying at Sandals let me know there are some great views.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Go to St. Maarten instead - you won't have any problems there with spotting/photography ! :heyhey:

Rick

Post by Rick »

farnboroughrob wrote:Hi we went to St Lucia in 2006 to get married. I was asked to remove myself from the sleepy permiter road after a few hours after being told it was in deed illegal to spot. There is a great beach that over looks the climbout but it faces south. Should you wish to risk it there is a dead end road that runs parallel to the runway and there is a tree lined bank that will take you above the fence line. However you are in full view of the tower. I was told that the American eagle ATR crew were uneasy with my presence! La Toc beach is also good for views.
BTW if you are staying at Sandals let me know there are some great views.

Thanks for the reply, don't think i'll take the scanner now :grin:
Did you see any float planes when you were there ?

Cheers

Rick
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Hi all I saw was lots of Dash 8s (was LIAT and Caribbean Star back then) plus DHL and Fedex C208's, Carib Air Twin Otter and Queenair, American eagle ATR's,plus a few Islanders, Metros and light aircraft, particularly from Martinique on weekend shopping trips. Of course that was a the city airport and not the big airport down south that is even quieter. Also flew the St Lucia Helicopters link between the two airports both way, very jet set! Lovely Island, just not somewhere to spot for too long.
Oh and no float planes, never seen any in the Caribbean.