RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
capercaillie

Re: RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

Post by capercaillie »

Airwolfhound wrote:I'm probably wrong, and often am, but wasn't the P-3 one of the first arrivals last year (on the Wednesday I seem to remember, closely followed by a Typhoon) ? Was chatting with Boff as it flew in I think, managed to grab a sneaky shot of it :grin:

At last, a Thursday to look forward to now for a few months :clap: (even with the list of VIPS etc to 'Meh' the parade :grin: )

Canadian Aurora was first to land on Wednesday last year, German P-3 was in later that day.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Like I said, I'm probably wrong............anyway didn't state it was German, and a P-3 looks like an Aurora to me :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

st24

Post by st24 »

Airwolfhound wrote:, and a P-3 looks like an Aurora to me :wink:

Only on the outside!!

That was a great start to the show that Wednesday, wx was good, CP-140 in the overhead, BAe Typhoon ripping the place apart with it's unholy racket...RIAT had arrived! :rock:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

It was a cracking start indeed!

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

edhunter wrote:I'm a member of the said nutter group i never have and never will contact any air arms etc through social media or through any means and i have started banging my head against a :wall: in trying stop the few idiots on there for doing just that. I even had one contacting dbh themselves asking if the Thunderbirds are going in the flying display on the friday and decided to throw all his toys out the pram and i told him not to and he couldn't see the reason why and what he had done was wrong. :surrender:

That group really does need a good sort out, the bloke who runs it is well known for contacting display teams / airforces and has even gone as far as to contact people involved directly via Facebook and other social media sites :claypole:

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

edhunter wrote:I'm a member of the said nutter group i never have and never will contact any air arms etc through social media or through any means and i have started banging my head against a :wall: in trying stop the few idiots on there for doing just that. I even had one contacting dbh themselves asking if the Thunderbirds are going in the flying display on the friday and decided to throw all his toys out the pram and i told him not to and he couldn't see the reason why and what he had done was wrong. :surrender:

What group is it? I like yourself would not contact any air arm or otherwise to ask what will be booked for whatever airshow. I know it's the modern social media system etc, but it doesn't feel right. The way I see it is by all means send messages saying you enjoyed the display or something, and maybe share photos with them.
I know money is tight and people like to know what will be at an airshow, but from what I see RIAT are a top notch at keeping us informed, and the weekly updates are part of the fun.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Bring back the good old days of IAT/RIAT when we didn't have a clue what was going to turn up, the main arrivals day was the Friday with multitudes of inbound aircraft holding all over the place while each display team had their practice. All hell was let loose when the display had finished when 20 or 30 aircraft arrived (mostly fighters) during the 20 -30 minute gap before the next team had their go !

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Let us know how you get on in your quest to bring down the internet.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Luke28 wrote:Let us know how you get on in your quest to bring down the internet.

To whom is one referring to? :dizzy:

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

duxfordhawk wrote:

What group is it? I like yourself would not contact any air arm or otherwise to ask what will be booked for whatever airshow. I know it's the modern social media system etc, but it doesn't feel right. The way I see it is by all means send messages saying you enjoyed the display or something, and maybe share photos with them.
I know money is tight and people like to know what will be at an airshow, but from what I see RIAT are a top notch at keeping us informed, and the weekly updates are part of the fun.

duxfordhawk wrote:

Unofficial RIAT Nutters I'm guessing. I left this group a couple of years back after I challenged them for contacting air arms. Apparently it was their right to do so if the team/display act was on Facebook and they weren't going to stop. Also gets pretty irritating when a number of members seem to screenshot every aircraft over Swindon on flightradar and ask if it's inbound to Fairford (and we're talking Heathrow outbounds above FL 200 most of the time :wall: )

CJS

Post by CJS »

Whilst it's clearly pointless ego massaging and willy waving by the Facebook members who do this (no air arm is going to announce their participation at an event in response to one of these requests) I would argue that they are within their 'rights' to do so via the social media platforms that the display teams themselves use.

Email and continual pestering is of course the other side of the line.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

tu16

Post by tu16 »

As Cosford and Sanicole have announced their Swiss participation, I guess we should something from RIAT this week.
I'm surprised it hasn't appeared elsewhere by now.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

*IF* the Swiss have decided to commit to RIAT...

It's kind of cool that organisers get to announce the Swiss participation... These days with the advent of social media the display teams seem to confirm attendance themselves, before the respective shows have had a chance to make a bit of hype about it. I imagine it takes the winds out of the sails of the organising teams somewhat! :grin:

tu16

Post by tu16 »

Tommy wrote:*IF* the Swiss have decided to commit to RIAT...

It's kind of cool that organisers get to announce the Swiss participation... These days with the advent of social media the display teams seem to confirm attendance themselves, before the respective shows have had a chance to make a bit of hype about it. I imagine it takes the winds out of the sails of the organising teams somewhat! :grin:

Agree with that. If I remember correctly, the Swiss are also pretty early in getting their participation onto their own website.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Maybe the Swiss are a bit in a waiting mode to publish their schedule this year. Some press would be less than happy to find such a thing only a matter of days or hours after the PC-7 team incident at St Moritz.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Patrouille Suisse released their schedule this morning and they're due to display at RIAT.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Certainly does, that's great news!
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

kph100

Post by kph100 »

DeanW wrote:Patrouille Suisse released their schedule this morning and they're due to display at RIAT.

Wouldnt it be great if they could do a fly past with an Air Suisse Airbus :)

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

kph100 wrote:Wouldnt it be great if they could do a fly past with an Air Suisse Airbus :)

You mean SWISS? :handbag:

Woodster

Post by Woodster »

Great stuff if Patroille Suisse are coming.
Hopefully hear something soon from ACC too!

One display team that would be a good addition this year are Turkish Stars, it's their 25th Anniversary season so would probably have a good display. Never seen them but if they're as good as Soloturk then I'd be happy.
Hint hint Tom/DBH

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Great to see Patrouille Suisse self-confirm themselves. I thought last year was the last we'd see them in the UK, but apparently not.

Those beautiful Tiger II days are numbered, so I'm anxious to catch them whilst I can!

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Woodster wrote:Great stuff if Patroille Suisse are coming.
Hopefully hear something soon from ACC too!

One display team that would be a good addition this year are Turkish Stars, it's their 25th Anniversary season so would probably have a good display. Never seen them but if they're as good as Soloturk then I'd be happy.
Hint hint Tom/DBH

I watched the Turkish Stars at Leuwarden last year and the FCC would have kittens, he couple of times they appeared from crowd rear. They would have to modify their display the way The Thunderbirds have too to comply with the rules. Paul

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Woodster wrote:Hopefully hear something soon from ACC too!

Confirmed ten minutes ago by the ACC - schedule release has been delayed until the end of the month.

It was supposed to have been today.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Woodster wrote:
Hint hint Tom/DBH

I would absolutely love to see the Turkish Stars at the same event as the Patrouille Suisse, all those F-5s!.. but I have no expectation of the Turks being on the circuit at all this season following their domestic issues last year. Delighted for my assumption to be wrong of course, as that's all it is.

(and if they were to come I'm sure the routine could be made to fit :smile: )