RNZAF Air Tattoo 2017

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
ErrolC

RNZAF Air Tattoo 2017

Post by ErrolC »

https://www.airtattoo.mil.nz/
RNZAF Base Ohakea on 25-26 February

BTW, I'm guessing that this is the furthest south an A400M has been (currently in Wellington showing off to prospective buyers).

Programme
https://www.airtattoo.mil.nz/programme
1000 Show opening
1000 Thunder (4 acft) formation arrival and flypast / break https://twitter.com/MissingWingman/stat ... 1392935936
1015 Texan Solo Display (Saturday) F-16 display (Sunday)
1030 Kiwi Blue drop
1040 CASA display
1054 Avenger Display
1100 A109 display
1112 Hercules Handling
1125 Devon / HVD flypast
1135 Harvard display
1145 USAF C-17 display
1205 Spitfire
1220 BAND and HAKA
1230 Mass start and departure
1250 F-16 display (Saturday) Texan solo display (Sunday)
1300 Mass flypast
1305 Thunder flypast
1310 B757 display
1330 Maritime Scenario
Orion bundle drop
Orion high speed pass
Seasprite survivor rescue
Seasprite Handling Display
1400 F-18 display
1415 Land Attack scenario
F-18 attack
NH-90 (x3) arrive
Hercules CDS drop
NH-90 pick up dummy CDS, underslung to truck on RWY 27
Hercules overhead join
105 howitzer fire
NH-90 troop uplift and depart
1515 Venom Display – to land
Finale
1525 Texan Diamond 9
1535 Black Falcons
1552 Hercules Flare Drop – as Texans land or after break
1555 Show complete

The Aircraft
https://www.airtattoo.mil.nz/the-aircraft/

ROYAL NEW ZEALAND AIR FORCE AIRCRAFT

FLYING DISPLAYS
T-6C Texan II
Boeing 757-200
P-3K2 Orion
C-130H(NZ) Hercules
SH-2G(I) Seasprite
NH90
Beech King Air B200
A109 Light Utility Helicopter

STATIC DISPLAYS
T6-C Texan II
Boeing 757 (Saturday only)
C-130 Hercules
P-3K2 Orion
A109 LUH
NH90 MUH
SH-2G(I) Seasprite
B200 King Air

International Aircraft
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE
FLYING DISPLAY
F/A-18 Hornets
STATIC DISPLAYS
F/A-18 Hornets
C-17

ROYAL AIR FORCE
STATIC DISPLAY
A400M Atlas

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
FLYING DISPLAYS
F-16 Fighting Falcons
USAF C17 Globemaster III
STATIC DISPLAYS
F-16 Fighting Falcons
KC-135 Stratotanker

FRENCH ARMED FORCES
FLYING & STATIC DISPLAY
CASA CN-235

REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE AIR FORCE
STATIC DISPLAYS
C-130 Hercules
F-15SG Strike Eagles

JAPAN AIR SELF-DEFENSE FORCE
STATIC DISPLAYS
KC767

HISTORIC AND CIVILIAN AIRCRAFT
Catalina
Harvard 15
Tiger 62
Spitfire AL
Avenger 15
Harvard 37
Devon
Venom
Spitfire replica
DC3
Air Tourer
BK177
Air New Zealand 787 (Sunday only)

CJS

Re: RNZAF Air Tattoo 2017

Post by CJS »

If they're showing the Atlas off to potential buyers, is an Airbus one, rather than an RAF one?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

ZM401

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

CJS wrote:If they're showing the Atlas off to potential buyers, is an Airbus one, rather than an RAF one?

Could be, the Germans and French are sending theirs to the US to shows this summer. So perhaps there is a bit of drive for operators to get them out and about.

But maybe not everything has to be sales orientated. Maybe it's just as simple as the RAF for once recognising the RNZAF's contribution to a UK show last year and thought it'd be cricket to return the favour by showing off their new toy & joining in celebrating the RNZAF's birthday.

From the clips and pictures I've seen on Twitter, it looks like a fantastic show!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Same Atlas is heading to Avalon next week too.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Interesting to see the French Cn-235 in the flying. Not a regular occurrence I would have thought?
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

john001

Post by john001 »

Tommy wrote:
CJS wrote:If they're showing the Atlas off to potential buyers, is an Airbus one, rather than an RAF one?

Could be, the Germans and French are sending theirs to the US to shows this summer. So perhaps there is a bit of drive for operators to get them out and about.

But maybe not everything has to be sales orientated. Maybe it's just as simple as the RAF for once recognising the RNZAF's contribution to a UK show last year and thought it'd be cricket to return the favour by showing off their new toy & joining in celebrating the RNZAF's birthday.

Not only that - the contribution New Zealand has made to the RAF and other services over the years. Should also have sent the Red Arrows

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

JJC wrote:Interesting to see the French Cn-235 in the flying. Not a regular occurrence I would have thought?

Apparently it is a regular in this neck of the woods. It was billed as the New Caledonian Armed Forces, which was a new one on me.... until I Googled it! It will also be on static at Avalon.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

JJC wrote:Interesting to see the French Cn-235 in the flying. Not a regular occurrence I would have thought?

It is regular in NZ (for exercise as well as airshows), but I don't think one displayed here until last year's Wanaka. I think the same crew might still be on their two-year posting, and are obviously display-qualified. Friday afternoon from the perimeter is the first time I've seen one airborne! As NZ shows tend to be in wine regions, they always seem to arrive well before the show start! (hang on, there is a tea smilie, but no booze swilling?)

The KC-135 and F-16s arrived late Friday, I'd given up. One of the lawn darts went tech in Darwin, they waited for a replacement (ex Misawa, Japan).
The F-16 display was later on Saturday, but early on Sunday (needed some sleep!). I did prefer the F-18 display myself, the over-wrought commentary didn't help.

The Atlas spent Friday doing jollies out of Wellington (including swinging down to Christchurch before transiting to Ohakea), I assume Airbus was at least chipping in for the gas.

Another minor treat for spotters was a repaint of Harvard 1015 in as-delivered camo - we haven't seen one in a camo scheme for some years.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

ErrolC wrote:Friday afternoon from the perimeter is the first time I've seen one airborne! As NZ shows tend to be in wine regions, they always seem to arrive well before the show start! (hang on, there is a tea smilie, but no booze swilling?)

The KC-135 and F-16s arrived late Friday, I'd given up. One of the lawn darts went tech in Darwin, they waited for a replacement (ex Misawa, Japan).
The F-16 display was later on Saturday, but early on Sunday (needed some sleep!). I did prefer the F-18 display myself, the over-wrought commentary didn't help.

The Atlas spent Friday doing jollies out of Wellington (including swinging down to Christchurch before transiting to Ohakea), I assume Airbus was at least chipping in for the gas.

Another minor treat for spotters was a repaint of Harvard 1015 in as-delivered camo - we haven't seen one in a camo scheme for some years.

ErrolC, would you be kind enough to post a list of the serials of the RNZAF aircraft that took part in the static and flying? many thanks

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Dave Homewood (Wings Over NZ Admin) collects regos and pilots of NZ Airshows. He's been asking questions on the WONZ thread to fill gaps, will appear here soon-ish

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

ErrolC wrote:Dave Homewood (Wings Over NZ Admin) collects regos and pilots of NZ Airshows. He's been asking questions on the WONZ thread to fill gaps, will appear here soon-ish

Many thanks :smile:

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

This event did include a large majority of the RNZAF's aircraft. e.g. Nine Texans in formation, and I think the one on static was a different one. We have 11...

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Aircraft serials now updated (second show of 2017)
http://www.cambridgeairforce.org.nz/Air ... .html#2017

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Many thanks :smile: