Classic Air Force

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Dan213

Re: Classic Air Force

Post by Dan213 »

CameronSys wrote:
106500 wrote:Must admit I'm intrigued about the Twin Pin and the long saga about its wing struts. As I understand it, replacements were found and imported but didn't fit. Any update on this story? I for one yearn to see this plane back in the air where it belongs!

Imported wing struts didn't fit, so it was decided that some should be scratch made. The issue being the original strut material is no longer available, so a lighter but stronger material had to be used - which of course needed to be approved. This process began, but I'm not sure if it ever progressed past that.

It's been outside for at least a couple of years now too which is a little worrying and makes me think we won't see this in the air again

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Who, or what is the UK Heritage Aviation Trust? And what is their connection with Coventry?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

The Baron wrote:Who, or what is the UK Heritage Aviation Trust? And what is their connection with Coventry?

They have a Facebook page and based on a post today, appear to be in the process of becoming a trust, rather than already being one.

Clearly, some established figures in the classic jet scene are engaging with the discussion.

I notice a phone number and email address on their pages if you wish to contact them.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

MicrolightDriver wrote:
The Baron wrote:Who, or what is the UK Heritage Aviation Trust? And what is their connection with Coventry?

They have a Facebook page and based on a post today, appear to be in the process of becoming a trust, rather than already being one.

Clearly, some established figures in the classic jet scene are engaging with the discussion.

I notice a phone number and email address on their pages if you wish to contact them.

Thanks MD. I actually came across them through their Facebook page. I just wondered that, as we have several UKARians closely associated with Coventry that they might know a bit more.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

Unfortunately it looks like we have lost out on the Jet Provosts, Meteors and Vampire/Venoms that were for sale

From the UK Trust Facebook page tonight, sounds as if the jets in question have now been sold, one can only hope to someone or a group in the Uk.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Seriously, with the current restrictions on classic jet display flying and no guarantee that they will be lifted, who in the UK is optimistic enough to purchase a fleet of them?

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

Going off recent FB posts, the 'Trust' seems to be an enthusiast who thinks that setting up production of new Ghost, Goblins and Darts is a viable idea.
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Kip Casper wrote:Going off recent FB posts, the 'Trust' seems to be an enthusiast who thinks that setting up production of new Ghost, Goblins and Darts is a viable idea.

Just having a browse of their Facebook page and it's a mess, gone from buying a Jet Provest to restoring a Viscount or maybe a Varsity or perhaps buying a Buccaneer or Hunter.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Going by the fact that their 'Justgiving' appeal has so far raised a grand total of absolutely zilch, I doubt they'll be buying anything any time soon.
아직도 숨어있다

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Seen them on the VPG page too enquiring about the Vampire.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Russ

Post by Russ »

Sounds a worse idea than building two hangars for a static Vulcan.

The guy didn't even know where the VPG T11 was based, what hope?! :dizzy: :facepalm:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

So where exactly do they plan on getting the £100k needed to buy it ?
아직도 숨어있다

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

Kip Casper wrote:Going off recent FB posts, the 'Trust' seems to be an enthusiast who thinks that setting up production of new Ghost, Goblins and Darts is a viable idea.

The "Trust" first came into existence in 2015 as a Facebook group set up by a couple of people who wanted to educate the public on the importance of preserving historic static airframes, somehow from that things have been blown out of all proportion and plans are now being made to buy all sorts of aircraft and set up a company building new jet engines for cold war era jets despite nobody involved having the money or engineering support needed for such things. A case of a few no doubt well meaning enthusiasts getting way beyond themselves. I'n not involved myself but someone I know was but left the group having seen the way it was going several months ago.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

As is the case with most all well-meaning groups lacking any real direction.....it's invariably down!! :wave:

Vampire 1973

Post by Vampire 1973 »

Having spoken to the guy running it, xm424 was their aim. That got sold before they could get funding underway. The only one left is the Swiss Vampire.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Vampire 1973 wrote:Having spoken to the guy running it, xm424 was their aim. That got sold before they could get funding underway. The only one left is the Swiss Vampire.

Im all for a Vampire :lol: :biggrin: :cool:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

MicrolightDriver wrote: Clearly, some established figures in the classic jet scene are engaging with the discussion.

I've seen enough of their posts on the page and elsewhere to see that it is essentially an amateur outfit, the bloke in charge doesn't seem to have any expertise in the operation of aircraft at all. Whilst the established figures in question may be engaging with the discussion, I would hope they would see that it would be extremely unwise to entertain giving this "Trust" any valuable aircraft; I can't see them gaining the funds to even begin obtaining an aircraft fortunately, as with the cloud that hangs over the operation of classic jets I believe amateurs operating a classic jet on the airshow scene to be something extremely dangerous and potentially even more damaging for this ailing scene.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

They now want De Havilland Vampire U-1229 (G-HATD).

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/UK-Heritage-Aviation-Trust

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

The UK Heritage Aviation Trust is a brand new organisation with the principle aim of restoring vintage aircraft to the best condition possible, in line with CAA regulations. Although not formally a trust, we hope to become one by the end of the year, as well as selling our merchandise on our soon to be launched website.

Is calling the organisation a trust when at this point in time it is not a trust in the legal sense of the word actually allowed, I understand the aim is to become a trust but at this point in time its just a group of aviation enthusiasts raising money for what is basically a private return to flight project.

As for 100k to get a Vampire purchased and made airworthy, with all due respect to anyone involved with Vampies when one looks at the struggles the Vulcan, Canberra and now the Sea Vixen have encountered in raising funds can a Vampire really attract that sort of public support. Most members of the public know what a Vulcan is and many of them wished to see one fly again can the same be said when it comes to the Vampire ?

Cole

Post by Cole »

Rebecca_1984 wrote:
The UK Heritage Aviation Trust is a brand new organisation with the principle aim of restoring vintage aircraft to the best condition possible, in line with CAA regulations. Although not formally a trust, we hope to become one by the end of the year, as well as selling our merchandise on our soon to be launched website.

Is calling the organisation a trust when at this point in time it is not a trust in the legal sense of the word actually allowed, I understand the aim is to become a trust but at this point in time its just a group of aviation enthusiasts raising money for what is basically a private return to flight project.

As for 100k to get a Vampire purchased and made airworthy, with all due respect to anyone involved with Vampies when one looks at the struggles the Vulcan, Canberra and now the Sea Vixen have encountered in raising funds can a Vampire really attract that sort of public support. Most members of the public know what a Vulcan is and many of them wished to see one fly again can the same be said when it comes to the Vampire ?

EVERYBODY knows Concord! *coughs*
Who wouldn't donate to see a concord fly again!!!!!
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

Russ

Post by Russ »

Comet102 wrote:They now want De Havilland Vampire U-1229 (G-HATD).

Very suspicious that they have two different appeals and required totals (80k and 100k) for what appears to be the same thing. Here's the other one...

Cole

Post by Cole »

Russ wrote:
Comet102 wrote:They now want De Havilland Vampire U-1229 (G-HATD).

Very suspicious that they have two different appeals and required totals (80k and 100k) for what appears to be the same thing. Here's the other one...

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... ationTrust

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... tion-Trust

Theres the links :smile:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..