RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Spotty_Jag

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Spotty_Jag »

-
Last edited by Spotty_Jag on Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

In the past they've parked a lot of civilian fly in aircraft on the grass. which I'm not keen on but having a display aircraft there is better than having them operating from a different airfield.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Not that I've ever noticed or for that matter paid any attention to, but do The Swiss PC-7 team have any kind of support aircraft?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Timc wrote:Not that I've ever noticed or for that matter paid any attention to, but do The Swiss PC-7 team have any kind of support aircraft?

You clearly don't deserve to know the answer then. :tongue2: :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
Timc wrote:Not that I've ever noticed or for that matter paid any attention to, but do The Swiss PC-7 team have any kind of support aircraft?

You clearly don't deserve to know the answer then. :tongue2: :grin:

:lol:

They don't normally but it would be a perfect place for them to "borrow" the Pat Suisse's PC-6 "Felix"!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Cole

Post by Cole »

oh no

A Pilatus PC-7 of the "Swiss Air Force PC-7 Team" colldided with a camera cable during a display flight at the Ski World Championship 2017.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=193668
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Orange5ive

Post by Orange5ive »

As there is no Vulcan anymore and I assume getting the one out the Cold War hanger is prohibitedly expensive what are the chances of the Avro 707c coming out, I don't believe it's been on display for a while now.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Orange5ive wrote:As there is no Vulcan anymore and I assume getting the one out the Cold War hangar is prohibitedly expensive what are the chances of the Avro 707c coming out, I don't believe it's been on display for a while now.

You mean the Avro 707 that was pulled out for the airshow in 2016..? :grin:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Isn't the Vulcan in the museum strung from the ceiling?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:Isn't the Vulcan in the museum strung from the ceiling?

No, its firmly on the ground in the Cold War Exhibition. It won't be coming out of there, and I for one wouldn't want it to.

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:oh no

A Pilatus PC-7 of the "Swiss Air Force PC-7 Team" colldided with a camera cable during a display flight at the Ski World Championship 2017.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=193668

Don't worry, there are no cables for overhead cameras at Cosford :lol: Seriously though, its a minor incident. Could have been much worse!

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:Isn't the Vulcan in the museum strung from the ceiling?

It is, I can imagine that being a strategical nightmare to shift!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Evening Chaps, thought I'd take some time to answer some queries this evening!

Adamwilliams132 wrote:In the past they've parked a lot of civilian fly in aircraft on the grass.

Not in the last 3 years we haven't apart from a small number of VIP guests who fly in but they're tucked up at the far right of the display line infront of the VIP Enclosures.

Spotty_Jag wrote:Perhaps the Cosford team could tell us which end of the crowdline they will be parked at and which end will be clear so we can make our choices accordingly.

You may be surprised to hear that there's a lot a logistical and operational considerations when designing the flightline parking plan. I have a rough plan already on what we're expecting to attend but it will change many times before June. Interesting to see the range of comments on the use of the flightline, a marmite issue for sure! Some like the unique photo opportunities of aircraft crewing in etc and also possibilities for clean images of the aircraft parked, others would rather see the runway. I remember when, in 2015, we moved a number of aircraft to the southside (from memory it was the Apache pair, Lynx HMA8 & Chinook) there was significant feedback that visitors wanted them back on the flightline. A balancing act for sure, we will do our best to please everyone, but operational ease must remain a priority.

No dedicated support aircraft, but the Swiss Air Force often use their Beechcraft 1900, as they did to support the Hornet in 2015. No news received yet on what aircraft may(or may not) come to support the team but I do like Geoff's suggestion...

Tommy wrote:Probably not realistic, but I love that "discussions are ongoing" with Cyprus!

And even if they're unable to provide an aircraft for 2017, it's never too early for our overseas partners to get 2018 in their diary...

Orange5ive wrote:As there is no Vulcan anymore and I assume getting the one out the Cold War hangar is prohibitively expensive what are the chances of the Avro 707c coming out, I don't believe it's been on display for a while now.

Getting anything out of the Cold War Exhibition is an extremely difficult task, which involves removing a wall from the building. The Avro 707 came out to play last year, so we worked with our friends at the RAF Museum to get some different machines out into the sunlight for 2017. The British Aerospace EAP, Hurricane IIc & Harrier GR9 are all confirmed to be coming down to the airfield to join the static displays this June.

Cheers,
Peter :wave:
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show

Cole

Post by Cole »

PeterR wrote:Evening Chaps, thought I'd take some time to answer some queries this evening!

Getting anything out of the Cold War Exhibition is an extremely difficult task, which involves removing a wall from the building. The Avro 707 came out to play last year, so we worked with our friends at the RAF Museum to get some different machines out into the sunlight for 2017. The British Aerospace EAP, Hurricane IIc & Harrier GR9 are all confirmed to be coming down to the airfield to join the static displays this
June.

WHAT!!!!
The wall comes off? :shock:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:The wall comes off? :shock:

Yup, the walls at each end of the building.. I have lost the original images sadly, which showed it in better context, but luckily found this one lurking in my photobucket account. This shot was taken the night the MH-53 was added into the Cold War Exhibition. This is the end wall of the building, opposite Hangar One. Image was taken from outside the building, and you can see the steel supports the the walls are attached to on the left hand side of the image.

Cole

Post by Cole »

PeterR wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:The wall comes off? :shock:

Yup, the walls at each end of the building.. I have lost the original images sadly, which showed it in better context, but luckily found this one lurking in my photobucket account. This shot was taken the night the MH-53 was added into the Cold War Exhibition. This is the end wall of the building, opposite Hangar One. Image was taken from outside the building, and you can see the steel supports the the walls are attached to on the left hand side of the image.

I'm guessing that's not an easy task then :biggrin:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Fantastic!
[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/834009912606859265[/tweet]
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

[center]Participation Update 21/1/17[/center]
- Hawker Hurricane I (R4118) has been booked to perform in the flying display.
- Jeff Bell's immaculate Jet Provost T5 will be returning for static display.
- We have received notification that the Hellenic Air Force are unfortunately unable to supply an aircraft for display this year.

Cheers,
Peter :wave:
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Love how people on Facebook are moaning about R4118's booking... one of my favourite warbirds and I'd go so far as to say a national treasure. Very pleased to see it displaying at Cosford.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Love how people on Facebook are moaning about R4118's booking... one of my favourite warbirds and I'd go so far as to say a national treasure. Very pleased to see it displaying at Cosford.

Assuming some of these 'moaners' on Facebook are not enthusiasts-J. Public in other words, will keep on moaning until something a bit more exciting in their eyes gets confirmed.Still very early days but I really hope the show turns out to be a vast improvement on 2016.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Watch how some of the more ignorant among us moan at an actual Battle of Britain veteran being confirmed in the flying today, and then go mushy-kneed when the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight turn up with AB910 and PZ865 wearing D-Day stripes and South East Asia Command colours respectively, and PA474...
:whistle:

Nice addition today :up: :up:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/836551931820670977[/tweet]

The machine coming to the show is XX521, which still wears it's University of Birmingham Air Squadron markings. Plan is to park the Bulldog & Tutor together for an interesting 'Past/Present' photo opportunity. :up:

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Amazing!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Will be voting with my feet on this one... Cosexit

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Screechy wrote:Will be voting with my feet on this one... Cosexit

Why bother posting this? Peter and the team put in a lot of hard work to try and get participants, I don't understand why people feel the need to be critical at such an early stage, there's still about 3 months to go.

I also doubt anyone on this forum cares whether you go or not, I certainly won't be basing my decision on whether Screechy is going or not.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Cosexit is without doubt one of the worst things that I have ever read.