Malta 2017 Advice Please

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
profile_M

Malta 2017 Advice Please

Post by profile_M »

Hi All,

I am looking at attending the 2017 show as part of the summer hols with the Mrs and just need a bit of advice if possible please from people who've been?

Where would you recommend staying for ease of access to the flying display? (assume it will be over the coast again)
What is public transport like on the show days? Are there specific buses put on from different areas?
Are scanners ok in Malta?

Any other advice you think would be helpful would also be much appreciated.

Thanks

Martyn

jaguar54

Re: Malta 2017 Advice Please

Post by jaguar54 »

Hi Martyn,

I have attended this show for a few years now, I cannot advise where to stay as I stay with a friend who lives on the island, if the show is held again this year over Smartcity then if it's anything like last year you could attend the static display at the airport then a bus will take you direct to Smartcity, (free of charge) if you go to the airport to shoot the static then get a bus to the airport and ask any bus inspectors and they will direct you to the correct bus that takes you over to the Military side of the airport, there is a bus that can take you right up to the main gate (don't know the bus number) or there is another bus that will drop you off at the main road where you can walk to the main gate but this will take at least 20 - 30 mins. The price on the buses are all the same price anywhere over the island and if you jump off one bus and straight onto another you can use the original ticket as long its in the time span that's on the ticket.
Hope this helps in some way.
Regards.
Paul.

profile_M

Post by profile_M »

Thanks Jaguar54, great info on the buses, much appreciated :up:

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

If you are going to be in Malta for any length of time i.e. a week, then this link may be of interest. It´s a card which I use and provides for my transport on the island.

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/b ... -ticketing

As for somewhere to stay, not knowing what your tastes are - B&B, self catering, hotels - then I can only reccommend Google. I usually stay in either Valletta or Sliema depending on the prices.

As to scanners, I´ve seen them being used without any problem, but like a lot of things these days perhaps some discretion.......a earpiece perhaps?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

The bus tickets have a time limit of two hours. Within that time they can be used again. Two hours used to easily get you from one side of the island to the other, however traffic has got considerably worse over the past three years, adding as much as 50% to the journey time. They're still good value though.
You may find that some hotels offer seats on tour buses to the airshow. I did this last year and it worked well.
As for where to stay - well, take your pick. Valletta, and Sliema are closest to the airport. St. Julian's is more trendy. I stay in Mellieha, where it's quieter but more relaxed.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Hire cars are cheap, used them each time I've been. Traffic and driving no worse than driving to Oldbury each day for work

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker »

profile_M

Post by profile_M »

Thanks for all the help guys, very much appreciated :biggrin:

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Perhaps best not to make too many plans for Malta just yet...

Malta International Airshow preparations suspended

The Malta Aviation Society (MAS) held its Biennial General Meeting at its premises in Santa Venera yesterday, Sunday 22nd January 2017.

A motion was unanimously approved by all members present, whereby it was agreed that the MAS is suspending the preparations for the Malta International Airshow 2017.

This is until such a time when the sum by written agreement from the Ministry of Tourism, as compensation for moving the aerial display of the 2016 edition outside of the airport to a sea-side show, is settled.

The Malta Aviation Society is seeking the urgent settlement of this matter to be in good time to prepare for the forthcoming celebratory 25th anniversary event, on September 23rd and 24th 2017.

viggen

Post by viggen »

Doesn't look very promising at the moment. We are now in March and the only information dates from January. Will be sad if nothing happens was usually a good show.

Viggen

profile_M

Post by profile_M »

Well I've booked a holiday there now anyway so if the air show happens it will be a bonus.

alizam

Post by alizam »

Dear All, the airshow will take place, negotiations are still ongoing

profile_M

Post by profile_M »

alizam wrote:Dear All, the airshow will take place, negotiations are still ongoing

:up: Thanks :biggrin:

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

In a bizarre twist of fate I might actually be on Malta over the weekend of the display. Been looking at sorting out a cheap(ish) holiday for September, and Ryanair fly from Edinburgh to Luqa. Happy days!

Having never been before, is the display at 'Smart City' free to attend, and is it a relatively easy place to get to? I don't plan to do the statics, just watch the displays. I've sold it to my girlfriend as basically a beach holiday, and there might just happen to be aircraft displaying at the same time. I also plan to attend the air museum, though I'll be going by myself!