Classic Air Force

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Russ

Re: Classic Air Force

Post by Russ »

Yes, but why are there two and both are asking for different amounts for the same thing? Don't you find that a bit suspect? :question:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Looking on the bottom of each, one was started 2 months ago & the other only 2 days ago.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Timc

Post by Timc »

Got to agree with Russ, highly suspicious that there are two crowdfunding "attempts" to purchase the "Swiss" Vampire. Certainly needs an explanation but nothing seems to appear on their FB page that I can see?

Do like the quote though "We also have 2 highly skilled pilots who are qualified on the vampire and happy to fly her for us."

That's of course assuming these particular pilots are still "current" on the type which I suspect at this particular time they're not?

The whole project does seem to be based on a whim rather than some proper joined up thinking, but happy to be proved wrong!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I admire the enthusiasm but it seems much better (and safer) for folks like the "trust" to stick to flight simulator where they can own and operate classic jets to their heart's desire.

In real life it takes a hell of a lot of work, dedication, time, bureaucracy, PR, campaigning, and money.

I will have a look later and write one up, but does anyone have a concise list of the fate/whereabouts of the ex classic air force airframes?

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

DH Devon VP981 was sold to Aero Legends, as was the Percival Prentice.
DH89 Rapide G-AIDL was sold to Classic Wings
G-AGTM (the other Rapide) has been sold to a private owner, in the UK
Chipmunk G-APLO was sold to a private owner and resides in the Netherlands
Dakotas G-ANAF and G-AMPY remain based at Coventry to fulfil their RVL Oil Spill Response contracts
The Percival Pembroke has flown to its new owner, and is now based near Dublin
The Chrislea Super Ace and Twin Pioneer is due to join it
Canberra WK163 went to Vulcan to the Sky
Vampire G-HELV went to Royal Jordanian Air Force Historic Flight

JP3 XM424, JP5, the two Venoms and the two Meteors are rumoured to being going to the United States.
I think that just leaves G-HATD, which the UK Heritage Aviation Trust want to buy.
They posted something about the confusion on their two JustGiving pages:

There has been some confusion recently on our page in regards to our fundraising efforts. You may have seen two different JustGiving appeals - To be clear, we are fundraising to buy Vampire U1229. The old page was for JP Mk3 XM424, which has now been sold. The link to our current JustGiving page can be found by clicking on the following link:https://www.justgiving.com/crowd…/UK-Heritage-Aviation-Trust
Thank you for all donations so far.

Russ

Post by Russ »

kinglear27 wrote:There has been some confusion recently on our page in regards to our fundraising efforts. You may have seen two different JustGiving appeals - To be clear, we are fundraising to buy Vampire U1229. The old page was for JP Mk3 XM424, which has now been sold. The link to our current JustGiving page can be found by clicking on the following link:https://www.justgiving.com/crowd…/UK-Heritage-Aviation-Trust
Thank you for all donations so far.

Why do both refer to buying the Vampire then?

Let's be honest, it's not a very good start, but all the best.

Vampire 1973

Post by Vampire 1973 »

It is true that both referred to the same aircraft. We half way through the changes to the first fund Raising page after XH424 was sold to new owners, I was for some reason locked out of that page by Just giving and am still unable to get back in to delete the old page and so I started again. Hence why there was 2 pages, you are right it is not a good start and should never have happened. From an outsiders point of view it must look very amateurish and unprofessional, however we are now back on track and intend to continue to learn from our mistakes and grow from them

Lets face it the very experienced people and the Vulcan to the Sky Trust have made mistakes and been heavily criticized for them

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

*sigh*

As Geoff said on Twitter - look at that metal ripe for polishing to a chrome standard... :sad: :sad:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/worldheritageairmuseum/posts/1298318750233626[/fb-post]

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

My heart genuinely sank when I read the news. :sad: Personally I had a strong connection with WA591 through my time working for Air Atlantique down at Newquay and I will be very sad to see her leave the UK.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Tommy wrote:*sigh*

As Geoff said on Twitter - look at that metal ripe for polishing to a chrome standard... :sad: :sad:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/worldheritageairmuseum/posts/1298318750233626[/fb-post]

Such a shame we have lost it overseas :(

One of the most important historic jet aircraft in RAF history, I wonder how many more we will lose.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

A massive shame and loss to the UK airshow scene but not particularly surprising.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Very, very sad news. I saw this airframe at Kemble during restoration and her first public display at Duxford Autumn. I've a real soft spot for her and am disappointed to see she's going stateside.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

JJC

Post by JJC »

A crying shame. Dreadful news. One of the most beautiful, elegant aircraft always displayed in a beautiful, elegant manor. A truly great loss to the UK airshow scene, and for its historical value more widely.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

rob68

Post by rob68 »

For those lucky enough to be at Cosby a few years ago those blue skies will remain in the memory when it displayed.

Perhaps I'm getting this wrong but didn't realise Andrew Ridgeley had left these shores and started a new version of wham......... :whistle:

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Really sad to see her go, can understand why with the current situation here in the UK with classic jets. She will be loved in the USA I am sure just like "Winston" is in Australia.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Absolutely gutting news, without a doubt one of the finest vintage jets i've seen displayed every time... :(

Andover

Post by Andover »

Ohhh lordy! I saw her give a very spirited full display at Sywell 2012, and then paired up with the NF version at Coventry Airbase 2015. Very sad to see such a beauty go - and in a gorgeous livery, too. :sad:

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

sad to see,and its just the start all aircraft bar the Swiss vampire have been sold and only 2 are staying in the UK.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Look on the bright side......
At least it has been sold & will still be displaying, so has thus been spared the possibility of languishing in the corner of some airfield slowly rotting away ( or being flogged-off for dismantling/scrapping )
After all, like the other aircraft listed, it's not as if there's been a massive rush from UK-based museums or trusts to take them on their books, has there.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

st24

Post by st24 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Look on the bright side......
At least it has been sold & will still be displaying, so has thus been spared the possibility of languishing in the corner of some airfield slowly rotting away ( or being flogged-off for dismantling/scrapping )
After all, like the other aircraft listed, it's not as if there's been a massive rush from UK-based museums or trusts to take them on their books, has there.

Indeed, kind of puts the 208 pages of utter crap about a grounded Vulcan into perspective...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Brevet, you're absolutely right of course. Given that nobody wanted the aircraft over here, this is the next best thing.

Its still a crying shame its going. A Meteor trainer will look a little out of place over there, a bit of a fish out of water. Its one of our own. As opposed to the F-86A, which sad as it was to lose it to the US, did seem like it was being sent home.

The biggest shame is that Air Atlantique funded the restoration, but couldn't seem to manage a business model to operate on an ongoing basis. Wrong place wrong time :-(

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

st24 wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Look on the bright side......

Indeed, kind of puts the 208 pages of utter crap about a grounded Vulcan into perspective...

Absolutely!

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

Let's hope that G-LOSM stays over here then.
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Anyone know where the other CAF airframes are going? I hope G-LOSM does not go abroad too. What about the two Venoms? They are listed as sold

st24

Post by st24 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Its still a crying shame its going. A Meteor trainer will look a little out of place over there, a bit of a fish out of water. Its one of our own. As opposed to the F-86A, which sad as it was to lose it to the US, did seem like it was being sent home.
:-(

Yep, along with the Shackleton, Gannet and Sea Venom - something that's not made in the good 'ole USA (Spitfire aside) don't have the best track record of longevity once over the pond ... :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!