RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day 2017

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
138EAW

RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day 2017

Post by 138EAW »

The second RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day has officially announced

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalAirForceM ... S_TIMELINE

People who already applied might want to try again, the email address wasn't working by all accounts :snack:
Gary

G-CVIX

Re: RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day 2017

Post by G-CVIX »

Is she still in the OP Granby scheme?

Fifty quid though.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Yep the OP Granby scheme is still flying, reported on FC the airframe is going to RTP in August

OP Granby scheme is 1 of the 10 remaining twin stick left, last count the RAF are down to 55 active Tornados :sad:
Gary

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

Fifty quid though.

My thoughts exactly. What's it in aid of? (can't access fb here).

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

maltwoser wrote:
Fifty quid though.

My thoughts exactly. What's it in aid of? (can't access fb here).

The last one was in aid of the Station charities, and for the Families Day, may or may not be the same this time round.

Cliffair

Post by Cliffair »

G-CVIX wrote:Is she still in the OP Granby scheme?

Fifty quid though.

Yes but no more expensive than say an event by Time Line or other photoshoot promoters... Pays your money takes your chance

Cliff
www.cliffibell.co.uk

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

G-CVIX wrote:Fifty quid though.

Does seem a bit steep. Last time I was there at what I assume was a similar event was way back on April 6th, 2002.
Last edited by AlexC on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

effects

Post by effects »

Fools and their money.......
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

aknott68 wrote:So if the Granby plane is still flying does this mean there's a possibility it could get to Northolt after all...

It was at the last NNS, on 06/10/2016.
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

PSnet gallery
mwneedham.com

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

effects wrote:Fools and their money.......

gravitate to the Vulcan?

effects

Post by effects »

The thing that annoys me about the price when you think what Coltishall gave you for a tenner.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Laughable. Up there with Kempsford camping. At the right time of year/week that is literally a return flight to somewhere in Europe and entry into either a free or very cheap museum and back in time for dinner. Alternatively go see Tornado aircraft yet again as one has for the last 30 years. Oh and they dont even fly at this 'event'.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Crikes Ive just checked that camping place, 2 people for 3 nights would be £110!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

And thats not the Glamping option they offered at fairford last year either ! Fortunately friat sold out before i could organise time off this year, wad of cash saved, off to tiger meet and florennes on what i saved on fairford!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Fifty pounds is an insult. Only a fool would pay this and consider it good value. As we've seen, the myriad firms of photo/nightshoot shysters have driven up the prices so that this kind of highway robbery now seems the norm.

Shame on the RAF.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Certainly is a rip off.

Northolt is £25/30

Tiger Meet is €35 including goodie bag, €40 including food!

Hell Sanicole, to do both shows and the spotters day is only €52!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

£50 it's nothing really, still when some are used to loads of freebies they bulk at putting their hands in their pockets.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

TKK 140 wrote:£50 it's nothing really, still when some are used to loads of freebies they bulk at putting their hands in their pockets.

*balk.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Oh please don't turn this into another thread of bickering you two.

Back to the cost of this - clearly a rip off. It's more expensive than RIAT for goodness' sake.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

CJS wrote:Oh please don't turn this into another thread of bickering you two.

Back to the cost of this - clearly a rip off. It's more expensive than RIAT for goodness' sake.

The price of two decent-sized airshows for a few hours of shooting a couple of Tornadoes. And still there'll be fools who'll pay it.

You get the shows and events you deserve, sadly. If nobody paid, the penny would drop.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

CJS wrote:Oh please don't turn this into another thread of bickering you two.

Yes that maybe the case about RIAT but it is a simple case of supply and demand, it's the way the market works. Calling people fools who can and do wish to go is idiotic in itself.

How about, the cost of the Marham event seems high to me and my budget, and more than I would wish to pay.

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

How about, the cost of the Marham event seems high to me and my budget, and more than I would wish to pay.

The point being that if people refused to pay it, the fee would have to be lowered to a more acceptable level, making it accessible for more people. You get the feeling some people are happy for this amount to be charged because it reduces the number of applicants.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Precisely, it has only been in the last 12-18 months have we seen a spike in the price from £25 to around £50 for these "military photoshoots".

One did it, and people paid, and others have followed seeing they can get away with it.
Whilst people blindly pay whatever is charged they will continue to do so, it isn't about being able to afford it, it's about the charge being a rip off regardless if you can afford it or not.

If an Apple was readily available but Tesco's charged £100 for it... is that limited to those that can afford it or is it a rip off?

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

maltwoser wrote:

The point being that if people refused to pay it, the fee would have to be lowered to a more acceptable level, making it accessible for more people. You get the feeling some people are happy for this amount to be charged because it reduces the number of applicants.

From my perspective there are distinct differences.

If the event is run by volunteers ( very often a limited clique) then the cost can be low, i.e. the low cost choice to attend is available. Answer create a group and get involved or apply for the ones within your budget.

If the event is run by a company or for profit organisation, inevitably the cost will be higher, these events are becoming more popular for those photographers who can pay. If they did'nt the events would disappear.

Physiologists say we choose what to do, some will choose to go some will not, it's an informed choice.

It seems naive to think that boycotting an event will force a change, look at the attempts to do that to Duxford last year. Fail.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:This kind of highway robbery now seems the norm. Shame on the RAF.

RAF Cosford only charged £25 for the Jaguar spotters day back in August, so not all stations are jumping on them "daylight robbery" bandwagon. #JustSaying :handbag: