Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Dan O'Hagan

Re: RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day 2017

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

When was this "boycott" of Duxford?

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

If the event is run by volunteers........then the cost can be low.......If the event is run by a company or for profit organisation, inevitably the cost will be higher,

Which backs up my point exactly. This event is not being run by a company for profit.

Answer create a group and get involved or apply for the ones within your budget.

Bit difficult when the RAF owns the assets and access is restricted, and at this rate nothing's going to be in most people's budgets.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I know of an organisation working on lower cost events...

In fact, those people who are subscribed to said organisations e-newsletter would have heard about one yesterday!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:I know of an organisation working on lower cost events...

In fact, those people who are subscribed to said organisations e-newsletter would have heard about one yesterday!

Which one, I'm interested :-)

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

AlexC wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:Fifty quid though.

Does seem a bit steep. Just time I was at what I assume was a similar event there was way back on April 6th, 2002.

So what would be the present going rate for a photocall like the 2002 one at Marham, or ones similar to those at Waddington, Brize etc in the 1990s?

£500 plus I'd say, if what is on offer here is worth fifty quid.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

We could all boycott these events and try and force down the price, but then you run the risk of the organisers coming to the conclusion that it's not worth their time to put these events on, and we end up with a far smaller number.

The last Marham shoot was raising money for station charities and their families day, I don't have a problem with them raising money for causes like this, but I accept that others may not.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

If it wasn't for the fact that I live 300 miles away, I'd probably apply for a ticket.
It's certainly cheaper that the last few concerts I've been to. I'm not sure how much a ticket is to a Premier League game these days but it can't be far off 50 quid, yet people are quite happy to pay to watch a group of overpaid numpties kick a ball around a field for 90 minutes.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I'm not happy to pay that for overpaid numpties lol I pay £21 to watch one of the best (if not the) Rugby Union sides in the country. Buzzzz

AFKAMC

Post by AFKAMC »

boff180 wrote:If an Apple was readily available but Tesco's charged £100 for it... is that limited to those that can afford it or is it a rip off?

Are we talking an iPhone, or a MacBook?

Either way, bargain! :smile:

Craig

Post by Craig »

Well I'm one who has applied for (and got) a space. Is it pricey? A little, but to me it's not extortion. It's a small event that will allow good access to what is by now a fairly rare bird in its natural environment. Shoots at museums for me just do not compare to a live base. For many £50 is too much, that's your choice. To me the station is putting the work in to allow us enthusiasts to get one of the last opportunities to get up close and personal with the Mighty Fin and earn some money for local charity in the process. I applaud that. Many would be worse off had they not bothered.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

PeterR wrote:RAF Cosford only charged £25 for the Jaguar spotters day back in August, so not all stations are jumping on the "daylight robbery" bandwagon. #JustSaying :handbag:

Okay I'll bite:
http://www.timelineevents.org/product.p ... tober-2016
http://www.timelineevents.org/product.p ... nuary-2017
http://www.timelineevents.org/product.p ... april-2017
I believe there were also one or two "bonus" shoots to cover the high demand. I realize that these were not official RAF shoots but the RAFBF still benefited greatly from the profits and it was held onsite

#JustSaying :handbag:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

How much are the places at Lakenheath for their enthusiast days ? ;)

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I'm not sure what the argument is here. Are people upset because they wanted to go but the price was (in their opinion) too high or that they weren't interested in going but felt people who did want to go shouldn't have to pay that much and so they were angry on their behalf ( even though the paying customers were happy enough to pay up)?

Surely in business the minimum price you should charge would be the maximum people will pay - if you have 50 places and set a price that means you have some places unsold then maybe you asked too much; conversely if you have 500 applicants for the 50 places maybe you set your price too low. Its a tricky thing to judge but I'm sure they will fine tune it as they do more events.

Given a Canon 1Dx Mk 2 costs £5k body only with lens packages taking the price up to £14+ there is clearly no shortage of money for some people who want to get into photography and I'm guessing if you've spent £5k+ on a camera £50 for an organised shoot is neither here nor there. If you want to do it then pay the £50; if the £50 is to much then do something else.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Well, and this is probably too deep to look into it, £50 is a pretty exclusionary price for people with limited disposable income. It essentially means that the deeper pockets get the tickets, even though we all pay our taxes and support our armed forces!

I would have been interested but £50 is far more than I'd be able to pay for entrance alone.

It would cost me about the same from Cornwall as it would to get to Sanicole so given the choice I'll take that option. If I could get one of the Tigermeet Spotter's Days off work, I'd go there.

To counter someone who said fifty quid was nothing. It's far more than nothing to most people and if fifty quid is nothing to you, you're a lucky one!

I'm sure those who go will enjoy it but that's just too much money for what it is, IMO. £25 would be more appropriate.

Oh, and if you've scraped and saved for every bit of gear you have, £50 is a hell of a lot of money.

To me it seems like Timeline are leading the charge in daylight (nightime) robbery and others are following the going rate for which i guess you can't blame them!

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Referring to my earlier post regarding similar events in the 1990s, for me it's because these offered far more but I don't remember price being an issue back then, it was a bargain. Coupled with that was the feeling that they were done with a sense of positive public relations and goodwill towards the enthusiasts. I do accept that back then it was easier to attract visiting aircraft and the bases had far more manpower than they have today.

As for the football comparison, there are plenty of fans like me that used to go regularly but don't anymore, mainly due to the cost, and that's without buying food, drink and replica shirts. That said, tickets are hard to come by, so people are prepared to pay up but I do think the product is better compared to the violence and rundown stadiums of the 1980s, whereas Marham's offering is far inferior.

As TalkSport's excellent radio broadcaster Danny Kelly says, the last thing they do before you enter the football ground, is hold you upside down by the ankles and give you a good shake, to make sure they've had every last penny out of you.

It's the way things are going but at least I can choose to give it a miss.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

G-CVIX wrote:Well, and this is probably too deep to look into it, £50 is a pretty exclusionary price for people with limited disposable income. It essentially means that the deeper pockets get the tickets, even though we all pay our taxes and support our armed forces!

I would have been interested but £50 is far more than I'd be able to pay for entrance alone.

It would cost me about the same from Cornwall as it would to get to Sanicole so given the choice I'll take that option. If I could get one of the Tigermeet Spotter's Days off work, I'd go there.

To counter someone who said fifty quid was nothing. It's far more than nothing to most people and if fifty quid is nothing to you, you're a lucky one!

I'm sure those who go will enjoy it but that's just too much money for what it is, IMO. £25 would be more appropriate.

Oh, and if you've scraped and saved for every bit of gear you have, £50 is a hell of a lot of money.

To me it seems like Timeline are leading the charge in daylight (nightime) robbery and others are following the going rate for which i guess you can't blame them!

But going to Sanicole is more expensive with flights and transfers etc?

If you choose not to go to one or another for budget reasons that's a choice. £50 on its own is not so much.

CJS

Post by CJS »

But it is, it is for what you get. It's not too much for an 8 hour flying display and circa 150 aircraft on static.

It clearly is for a few floodlit Tornados.

Even if one of them is a bit pinky.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

CJS wrote:But it is, it is for what you get. It's not too much for an 8 hour flying display and circa 150 aircraft on static.

It clearly is for a few floodlit Tornados.

Even if one of them is a bit pinky.

Which will not be around soon, if you choose to\not to go that's fine

And if it's for the RAF charities that's a very worthwhile cause.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Gone it seems of the good old days of base visits it seems,
RAF public relations seem a thing of the past.

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Pringles wrote:
PeterR wrote:RAF Cosford only charged £25 for the Jaguar spotters day back in August, so not all stations are jumping on the "daylight robbery" bandwagon. #JustSaying :handbag:

Okay I'll bite:
http://www.timelineevents.org/product.p ... tober-2016
http://www.timelineevents.org/product.p ... nuary-2017
I believe there were also one or two "bonus" shoots to cover the high demand. I realize that these were not official RAF shoots but the RAFBF still benefited greatly from the profits and it was held onsite

Spectacularly missing the point and the direct comparison of RAF organised events...

TKK 140 wrote: £50 on its own is not so much.

But the point is that it is too much, for this sort of event, for what is actually on offer.
To me it is extremely poor value for money. I could be a millionaire with money to burn, but I would still look at the price and what's being offered and think the vfm is non-existant. Compared to, as has been mentioned countless times, other events particularly airshows. RIAT, Cosford, any show will get you much more time on site, entertainment and significantly more aircraft (flying and static) for a smaller charge.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

iaint wrote:
Pringles wrote:I believe there were also one or two "bonus" shoots to cover the high demand. I realize that these were not official RAF shoots but the RAFBF still benefited greatly from the profits and it was held onsite

Spectacularly missing the point and the direct comparison of RAF organised events...

Nope not "spectacularly missed", as I said, RAF charities benefited to the same extent, if not more, from TLE's pricing which Peter seemed to ignore, when Cosford is possibly the most prolific host of Mr Cave's shoots which generously aid the RAFBF.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Pringles wrote:
iaint wrote:
Pringles wrote:I believe there were also one or two "bonus" shoots to cover the high demand. I realize that these were not official RAF shoots but the RAFBF still benefited greatly from the profits and it was held onsite

Nope not "spectacularly missed", as I said, RAF charities benefited to the same extent, if not more, from TLE's pricing which Peter seemed to ignore, when Cosford is possibly the most prolific host of Mr Cave's shoots which generously aid the RAFBF.

:facepalm:
I'll see if I can make it simpler for you... the comparison Peter is making is between the cost of RAF organised shoots.

The TLE shoots have been ignored as they are not relevant in this argument! :facepalm:
Makes no difference where their donations go whether it be RAFBF, station charities, or a fund to highlight the plight of orphaned Patagonian Guinea pigs.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

There's little doubt the current high prices across the photoshoot market is down to Timeline setting their prices so high. A shame the RAF feel the need to follow suit.

Should the public really be milked to help fund a station's Families' Day? From experience a lot of bases actively discourage the public from being near the station on those days.

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

Something which many of you outraged individuals have possibly not factored in is the costs incurred by the station to use its own facilities. Absurd? Absolutely!
However, due to changes a few years ago units have to pay to use their own facilities for anything that is outside of their core business. Similar to shows having to pay for RAF assets so the units have to pay a fee which covers things such as a venue license, insurance etc etc.
If that means that in order to put on the event the entry fee has to be raised then blame the Blair/Brown government that brought in the rules and not the RAF or indeed the organisers.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

If you don't want to be milked, then don't go it's as simple as that, if the station wants to raise money for worthwhile causes then who are we to say that they can't?

The majority of service personnel on duty that night volunteer their time, they don't get paid overtime for being there, so if there are no visible benefits to them why should they bother?