D7200
40%
D7200
40%

Total votes: 30

Smg-Uk

Which DSLR ?

Post by Smg-Uk »

I have only been going to these big airshows since 2014 i have since gone through 3 Bridge Cameras starting with a Canon SX40 then a Panasonic FZ200 and since last year a Panasonic FZ1000, Each time i have gone to a Airshow with a new camera i have got progressively better probably partly due to a better camera and some of it down to learning more as i go.

The FZ1000 is a amazing camera and i have definitely taken my best photos with it but when i look at people's photos taken with DSLRs it still can't really match that probably due to the sensor size and lack of phase af.

So i think it might be time i just take the plunge and move up to a dslr.

I have been looking at Nikon's always kind of wanted a Nikon.

I was wondering if it's better to got with a cheaper body and have more money for lenses or spend more on a body even if i have to wait longer to buy a decent lens for airshows?

I have been looking at the D5300/5500 or the 7200.
Canon R10

Luke28

Re: Which DSLR ?

Post by Luke28 »

Cheaper body and spend as much as your budget allows on the lens mate, the bodys do more or less the same thing unless you're willing to go into 4 figures territory.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Lens is the main thing to give clear sharp images,
Nikon bodies I know very little, Canon user, thou I would seriously have a good look at the Sony range of bodies.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

When I was faced with the same dilemna as you, a few years ago, I opted for the D7100 against the D5x00 series and I didn't regret it !

Although I concur with the fact that lens are the more important to achieve best IQ, it needs an "expert" body to get the most out of these lens.

With D5300 / D5500, I'm afraid you will feel quickly "limited".
Moreover, the D7200 feature better focus point coverage, double wheel (that takes some time to master, but gives more reactivity), double SD card (great for long airshows : no reloading required), "User" memorisable settings (I use 1 for t/o & landing and the other for in-flight, with some over-exposition), etc ... The LCD display is also great for quick setting checking.

Finally, the recent announcement of the D7500 may drive the price of the D7200 down.

So I voted for D7200 in your poll.

MTPhoto

Post by MTPhoto »

I would look for a used D7100 and try and get as best lens as you can afford.
I have been recently using the Sigma 150-600mm C, which has surprised me at how good it is for the price.
Michael
https://www.facebook.com/michaelturnerphoto
Nikon D700/D300s/V1
Nikon 17-55mm
Sigma 150-600mm

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

The difference in the D3xxx/D5xxx/D7xxx models aren't limited to just features. They're all different sizes. Go to the store, hold each on in your hands that meets the features you see yourself needing, decide which one feels the most comfortable in your hands.

Personally I have larger hands. I like the feel of the D500 as it's a full size body.

The D7xxx series is very good, but if it's not comfortable in your hands you're never going to get along with it. If you're taking it seriously I wouldn't personally recommend anything smaller than a D7XXX body, but that's just me.

coanda

Post by coanda »

vulcan558 wrote:Lens is the main thing to give clear sharp images,
Nikon bodies I know very little, Canon user, though I would seriously have a good look at the Sony range of bodies.

I mostly concur with this. I would look at noise in images as well. The lens is the main part of creating an image but what the sensor and processors do with the light is fairly important in my opinion.

I may be a little biased though. I keep reading articles with people saying they are shooting at iso6400 and thinking it's crazy. I guess I'm still a bit caught up by the film era so I'm really pushed to go to iso200 let alone past it!!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

ISO-6400 is for wimps.....try 51200 :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Theo1

Post by Theo1 »

Why a DSLR? I came from a DSLR (Canon) one year ago and switched to a M4/3 camera. No regrets till now and it can do the job, no problem at all.
The quality is at least equal to DSLR.
Please check my Flickr account to see what you can achieve using this kind of camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153188826@N07/

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Go4Long wrote:The difference in the D3xxx/D5xxx/D7xxx models aren't limited to just features. They're all different sizes. Go to the store, hold each on in your hands that meets the features you see yourself needing, decide which one feels the most comfortable in your hands.

Personally I have larger hands. I like the feel of the D500 as it's a full size body.

The D7xxx series is very good, but if it's not comfortable in your hands you're never going to get along with it. If you're taking it seriously I wouldn't personally recommend anything smaller than a D7XXX body, but that's just me.

A colleague has been investigating getting a DSLR for some months (and I've been giving him pointers - he used to us a film body). He finally settled on a D5300 + twin lens kit when I throw a curveball - I've been thinking of replacing my '2nd body' D7000 with another D7200 (some aspects of the D7500 I don't like), so I'll sell him the D7000 for a good price. I let him hold it for awhile, but he decided on the D5300 combo - fair enough. Then he tries the D5300 in a shop, and realises that it feels like a toy in his large hands. So now I have to find where I put the Nikon neck strap when I replaced it with a shoulder strap :-)

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Yes, I run in to the same problem. I took my wife's D3100 out for a laugh one day, actually did better than I thought, but the thing is absolutely comical to hold for me.