Camping at RIAT 2017

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
tornadof3

Camping at RIAT 2017

Post by tornadof3 »

Hi all, its been a while!

Iam attending RIAT 17 for the first time in 6 years. I stopped going for while as we had two kids and just fell out the habit of attending. I used to gStay in Kempsford but have a feeling that will be fully booked!

Can anyone recommend a close to airfield (walking distance) camp sitefor a family of 4 i.e. 9 year old and a 4 year old.

Thanks all

phreakf4

Re: Camping at RIAT 2017

Post by phreakf4 »

You should still be able to get into Kempsfortd if you are quick off the mark. Whilst it's true that previous campers get the first chance and the site does "sell out" quite quickly once opened for "first-time" applications there are usually some pitches still available after the first month Booking is usually available for previous campers in February and is then opened for others from March....It was "sold out" by early April last year, so there is not much leeway.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

phantom6

Post by phantom6 »

Hi Tornadof3 you could try Flyby camping 10min walk up the road e-mail is flybycamping@hotmail.co.uk hot showers food etc

carlbotten1971

Post by carlbotten1971 »

Also Airshow camping on Townsend farm.Food toilet and shower facilities plus a bar http://www.fairfordairshowcamping.co.uk/ Flyby camping next door

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Has anybody ever stayed at Fairford Football Club before? Have only recently found out about the site and wondered if anybody had any experience good or bad? Thanks in advance :up:
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I'm sure someone posted on here last year saying they were going to stay at Fairford Football Club but I don't recall them ever posting a report of the success or otherwise of the endeavour. If they could it may be of assistance to others.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

speedbird2639 wrote:I'm sure someone posted on here last year saying they were going to stay at Fairford Football Club but I don't recall them ever posting a report of the success or otherwise of the endeavour. If they could it may be of assistance to others.

This ?
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70073
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

I stayed at flyby last year. Great location if you are going into the show, with a 15 min walk to the red entrance.

No doubt, a pretty good place to see some of the show too. The ramex delta, various typhoons and Patrouille Suisse practices were awesome on the Thursday when I was pitching up.

I've booked up again this year

haffende

Post by haffende »

Bluebell Tents were very good last year...will be using them again if they are coming. 3 mins walk to the P&V East gate...you can camp or hire a tent.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I stayed at Flyby in 07 and 08 but I've been at Kempsford from 09 onwards. Kempsford has much better facilities and a really easy walk to the blue entrance. Flyby is almost under the downwind if I remember rightly so it can be pretty great in there.

My advice would be to try for Kempsford on the 1st of March when it opens for newcomers, but failing that, flyby is good.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Latest update from DBH has them advertising their campsite :

Pitch up' at the Air Tattoo with our Official Campsite for 2017 - provided by established event camping company, Tangerine Fields! Now available to book, the campsite will operate from Tuesday 11 July to Sunday 16 July, with great flexibility thanks to no minimum night stay, and under-16s are FREE to camp.
There are a range of different camping options available, including bring your own tent, pre-pitched Tangerine tents and boutique camping, prices range from just £10 per person per night, with a car park pass priced at just £6.50 for your entire stay. The campsite provides a meet & greet service, bar (open from Fri 14 July, probably earlier, subject to licensing), café (open from Weds 12 July), showers and toilets.
The Official Air Tattoo Campsite will be located on the opposite side of the road to the Red Car Park and access to the show will be via the Yellow Pedestrian Customer entry point (5 minutes' walk). Once parked in the campsite car park please do not try and relocate your car to an Air Tattoo car park as traffic restrictions and one-way systems will prohibit this.
More information and to book via the Tangerine Fields website : https://www.tangerinefields.co.uk/events/royal-international-air-tattoo.html
아직도 숨어있다

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Latest update from DBH has them advertising their campsite :

Pitch up' at the Air Tattoo with our Official Campsite for 2017 - provided by established event camping company, Tangerine Fields! Now available to book, the campsite will operate from Tuesday 11 July to Sunday 16 July, with great flexibility thanks to no minimum night stay, and under-16s are FREE to camp.
There are a range of different camping options available, including bring your own tent, pre-pitched Tangerine tents and boutique camping, prices range from just £10 per person per night, with a car park pass priced at just £6.50 for your entire stay. The campsite provides a meet & greet service, bar (open from Fri 14 July, probably earlier, subject to licensing), café (open from Weds 12 July), showers and toilets.
The Official Air Tattoo Campsite will be located on the opposite side of the road to the Red Car Park and access to the show will be via the Yellow Pedestrian Customer entry point (5 minutes' walk). Once parked in the campsite car park please do not try and relocate your car to an Air Tattoo car park as traffic restrictions and one-way systems will prohibit this.
More information and to book via the Tangerine Fields website : https://www.tangerinefields.co.uk/events/royal-international-air-tattoo.html

I see they have changed operator for this year, not much wrong with last year, then again you have to really try to cock up letting people put up their own tent in a field! I had a quick browse on the website and although it highlights prices 'from £10' this is just for Tues to Thurs

Tue 11th July+£10.00
Wed 12th July+£10.00
Thur 13th July+£10.00
Fri 14th July+£20.00
Sat 15th July+£40.00
Sun 16th July+£20.00

In addition to this you need to pay another £6.50 for a car pass. How can they justify such a price hike from last year for what is, literally, the same field? I know campsites put their prices up for RIAT but come on £40 per person is pushing it!!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Yep, I'm completely with you Alpha. I think the £20 a night is pushing it and if your car is staying on site then surely that's doing the base a favour taking cars away from the show parking.
I know some will see it as supply and demand but having paid for a 3 day show ticket it's almost like paying again for the privilege.

I will make do with somewhere a few more miles away and save my money for overpriced beers and burgers in site:-)

haffende

Post by haffende »

Also Agree,

Had a pre-pitched tent last year for about £140 all in for 5 nights with BlueBell Tents who were great.........now its £140+ 5x £10 + £6.50....as you say RIP Off so they can FO.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Presumably the company doing the camping this year paid RIAT more for the contract than the previous people and have to ratchet up their prices accordingly to recoup that outlay. It always 'all about the green' in these sorts of situations.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And an updated price-list from them today :
Since launching our Official Campsite, provided by Tangerine Fields, we have reviewed the pricing structure and have made the decision to reduce the price for Saturday 15 July. The Camping Pass has now been reduced by £10 to £30 per person and the Campervan Pass has also been reduced by £10 to £40 per person. Those that have already booked for Saturday have been personally notified and refunded.

The new pricing for our Camping Pass and Campervan Pass is as follows;
Camping Pass
Adult (per person per night)

£10 - Tuesday - Thursday
£20 - Friday and Sunday
£30 - Saturday
Under-16s - FREE

Campervan Pass
Adult (per person per night)

£15 - Tuesday - Wednesday
£20 - Thursday
£30 - Friday and Sunday
£40 - Saturday
Under-16s - FREE
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Suspect bookings will have been way down to make them drop the prices.

There's plenty of good value campsites round Fairford, people know when they're being fleeced.

RIAT is already too expensive, for ever-diminishing returns. Tickets, programmes, food, movement sheets. If it's "official", you can guarantee it's pricey. Plus most people who are likely to want to camp will already have their preferred sites.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wonder how many have already booked ?
Also wonder how impressed they'll be if they don't get the difference refunded ?

As an aside....
Kempsford's a flat £20 pitch fee plus £15 pp/pn ( and £6 pp/pn for children over 5yo) with a minimum booking of 2 nights, so if you're in a family group there's not much difference in price.
Can't speak for what other sites charge.
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Brevet Cable wrote:Wonder how many have already booked ?
Also wonder how impressed they'll be if they don't get the difference refunded ?

As an aside....
Kempsford's a flat £20 pitch fee plus £15 pp/pn ( and £6 pp/pn for children over 5yo) with a minimum booking of 2 nights, so if you're in a family group there's not much difference in price.

Kempsford's expensive, always has been, but you pay for decent (as far as portable khazis in a field go) facilities, entertainment and bar and ease of access to the showground. How did the official site measure up on those things?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Still cheaper than local hotels... the hotel I stayed at a few miles away since 2009 increased their prices by over 50% for the 2017 show... I've had no choice but to go elsewhere, I'm now all the way out at Burford :sad:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

From the same update:
Those that have already booked for Saturday have been personally notified and refunded.
So part two has been taken care of. Part one? well, as they have gone through the update and refund process already, probably very few people.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

aviodromefriend wrote:
From the same update:
Those that have already booked for Saturday have been personally notified and refunded.
So part two has been taken care of. Part one? well, as they have gone through the update and refund process already, probably very few people.

Sounds like at least two people :-) ;-)

Whilst I welcome the price drop it does confirm what I had suspected. That being the camping prices were set to an almost extortionate price.

So here's a thought -Why not set a base price of £10-£20 a night per person and then those who purchase a ticket for each of the show dates gets 10% off their camping price.. ie fri/sat/sun tickets = 30% off..

The way the camping prices are set now would not encourage me to buy multiday tickets.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

As an aside....

Kempsford's expensive, always has been, but you pay for decent (as far as portable khazis in a field go) facilities, entertainment and bar and ease of access to the showground. How did the official site measure up on those things?

Nowhere near, 5 showers & 6 portaloos to over 150 (estimated) campers, going to the toilet on Friday to the toilets already full & a big turd winking at you wasn't pleasant and they were not emptied at all over the week, add that to the no bar or entertainment facilities & a catering van that looked like it'd been carted over from the showground made for a somewhat disappointing stay.

Fingers crossed the new company running the site this year learn from last year.
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Fishrage

Post by Fishrage »

I have always camped at "BogWoppit" (basically a farmers field). There's always space and you don't have to book. The bonus is that it's opposite a pub too. It's in Marston Meysey. About a 15 min walk away from the airfield.

https://www.theoldspottedcow.co.uk/inde ... eader=home

http://bogwoppit32.wixsite.com/bogwoppt-camping

Note: Website says to book. I have never booked in the 10+ years I've been going.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

alpha586 wrote:Has anybody ever stayed at Fairford Football Club before? Have only recently found out about the site and wondered if anybody had any experience good or bad? Thanks in advance :up:

Stayed in the Footie Club ever since Kempsford became poor value for Money some time back.

Can't fault the Camping site, As a footie field it it perfectly flat!.

Bill and the lads are sound out, Club bar is grand, open late enough too, Nice pints, BBQ in the evenings, Short walk to the Village for pubs and take aways if you want something different

Highly Recommend it and nicely priced too. They have their own website, Just google away.

We used the Footie club as a base to travel into Rhymes which was grand cause you could have a kip in (let the hangover ease) and rock up at 9am and watch the show. Sorted. back after in 10mins and no traffic :smile:

I won't be travelling this year though, I have lost interest in the UK shows as they have become pretty bland and could not be arsed queuing at 6am in the morning anymore.

cheers

George
Last edited by LN Strike Eagle on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed racist term
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.