Reoch visits Wulverhampton Airport...

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
PeterR

Reoch visits Wulverhampton Airport...

Post by PeterR »

Quick trip to Halfpenny Green today for the "Radials, Trainers and Transports" Fly-In. Sadly not many visiting aircraft today, presumably all scared off why the weather forecast. Regardless, nice way to burn a couple of hours even if there was a couple of 'interesting' moments...

ImageG-VTII / Vampire Preservation Group / De Havilland Vampire T11 by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageG-BURR / Private / Auster AOP9 by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageG-OLCP / GB Helicopters / AS355N Ecureuil II by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageG-MOOS / Yeovilton Flying Club / Percival Provost T.1 by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageOK WWC 43 / Rotorsport UK / MTO Sport Autogyro by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

ImageG-VTII / Vampire Preservation Group / De Havilland Vampire T11 by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

PeterR

Re: Reoch visits Wulverhampton Airport...

Post by PeterR »

And as the airport themselves has posted images of the incident online, I figure there's no need for me to keep mine out of public view either... :shock:

ImageVampire Runway Damage by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

CJS

Post by CJS »

Nice shots Peter. The last one is suitably dramatic - what on earth happened? A Vampire isn't exactly the most powerful jet in the world is it?! :-o
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

CJS wrote:A Vampire isn't exactly the most powerful jet in the world is it?! :-o

Not compared to a B-1, for example :grin:

However, they are well known to cause issues to poorly surfaced runways as the jet pipe is angled down and can create a large amount of jet blast. What shocks and concerns me is that the aircraft departed!

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Nice pics,One question is Wulverhampton Airport any where near Wolverhampton Airport.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

RAF4EVER wrote:Nice pics,One question is Wulverhampton Airport any where near Wolverhampton Airport.

I think you may have missed something here. :tumbleweed:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

capercaillie wrote:
RAF4EVER wrote:Nice pics,One question is Wulverhampton Airport any where near Wolverhampton Airport.

I think you may have missed something here. :tumbleweed:

Ay it, bab.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

They've just shown footage of the incident on Midlands Today on BBC1. Seems to be a strange decision to let him take off in a jet with a reputation for damaging runway surfaces on a runway which was to be inspected with a view to possible repair.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Such a shame Matt Hampton doesn't fly that aeroplane any more... :whistle:

Did we learn no lessons in 2015 about the need to be squeaky-clean when operating classic jets?

Debris aside, look at that take-off on a clearly unfit bumpy runway. Gear travelling the second he unsticks. One hopes the CAA investigation into this is thorough. Who on earth deemed it safe to operate a Vampire off that mess of a runway?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Link to the video. http://www.itv.com/news/central/2017-05 ... -take-off/

Dan's right, what in hell's name were they thinking? Surely someone must have realised, but if the runway was so susceptible you wonder how safe it was for anything else - I mean it pretty much just disintegrates at several points :shock: :joystick: :hide:

Also I wonder how much the pilot would have known about the first instance, just as he starts his take off run? If he'd spotted it, shouldn't he have aborted the take off? Not speculation, just a question.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Worth pointing out there is no "ATC" at Halfpenny Green, only an AFIS unit.

Thus, all the FISO in the tower could have done is advise the Vampire of the runway damage - if any was obvious before the takeoff run - and add "takeoff at your discretion". Then it's all up to the pilot in command.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Who on earth deemed it safe to operate a Vampire off that mess of a runway?

Not just the state of it, but the length too. Runway 10 is published as being only 799m in length. Ludicrously short for the operation of a Vampire. Doubt you would have ever seen Air Atlantique taking any of their machines to a runway which was that short.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Such a shame Matt Hampton doesn't fly that aeroplane any more... :whistle:

Did we learn no lessons in 2015 about the need to be squeaky-clean when operating classic jets?

Debris aside, look at that take-off on a clearly unfit bumpy runway. Gear travelling the second he unsticks. One hopes the CAA investigation into this is thorough. Who on earth deemed it safe to operate a Vampire off that mess of a runway?

Who is the pilot these days and does he have a DA.

Cheers. Paul

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The Sea Vixen did a similar thing to the dispersal at Biggin Hill in 2005. As they wound up the power to taxi a big sheet of Tarmac lifted up behind and blew pieces across the runway. It was still allowed to take off though, followed by lots of people recovering bits off the runway.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I understand Mark Hooton is the pilot these days.

For now, at least.

st24

Post by st24 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Who on earth deemed it safe to operate a Vampire off that mess of a runway?

Not just the state of it, but the length too. Runway 10 is published as being only 799m in length. Ludicrously short for the operation of a Vampire. Doubt you would have ever seen Air Atlantique taking any of their machines to a runway which was that short.

I'm presuming that's numbers to numbers - both 10 and 28 have displaced thresholds and TODA is more like a 1000m- 200 or so metres more than a lightly loaded T11s recommended take off distance (and he did taxy right to the very end).. Just shows how such footage on soshul meja can be big news on the local TV station so easily and open to all forms of criticism and comment.
But that said still a poor decision. Really hope it doesn't preclude further events as it was extremely well organised and laid out otherwise - perhaps restrict to prop jobs and jets can fly "by" rather than "in"...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

st24 wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:

I'm presuming that's numbers to numbers - both 10 and 28 have displaced thresholds and TODA is more like a 1000m- 200 or so metres more than a lightly loaded T11s recommended take off distance (and he did taxy right to the very end).. Just shows how such footage on soshul meja can be big news on the local TV station so easily and open to all forms of criticism and comment.
But that said still a poor decision. Really hope it doesn't preclude further events as it was extremely well organised and laid out otherwise - perhaps restrict to prop jobs and jets can fly "by" rather than "in"...

I have to agree with your last sentence, I was really impressed with the organisation of the weekend, very well thought out and a huge success on Saturday, at least, with the sheer number of aircraft. I do hope it returns next year.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries