Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

st24

Re: Radial And Trainer Fly-In V: 29-30th April 2017

Post by st24 »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:Vampire ripped runway up. Pic to follow when home

Quite a mess he made! Wonder which one he'll use to depart?!?

Poor turn out but with a horizontal wind sock I'm not surprised. You can never seem to win with the weather... :roll:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

What happened? Look forward to reading the occurrence report from that one. Venom/Vampire both well known for their engines destructive power, and jet they operated it from a blacktop runway at Wolverhampton... :dizzy:

Cole

Post by Cole »

st24 wrote:

Quite a mess he made! Wonder which one he'll use to depart?!?

Poor turn out but with a horizontal wind sock I'm not surprised. You can never seem to win with the weather... :roll:

Just got home, he used 16
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Another thumbs up from me - was only able to get there yesterday but looks like that fell right for me - have only seen two aircraft in the sky all day in Worcestershire so not surprised the turnout has suffered today.

Nice relaxed atmosphere, good selection of aircraft, one or two possible issues with positioning/taxying etc have been highlighted already but they would be minor points in my eyes. And close to home :clap:

Big well done to Andy, Cameron and all the team for all the hard work to set the weekend up.

When's the next one? :biggrin:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

And as the airport themselves has posted images of the incident online, I figure there's no need for me to keep mine out of public view either... :shock:

ImageVampire Runway Damage by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Great capture Peter.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Looks even more sketchy in the video!

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Andy, well done for all the effort that went into this fly-in. :clap: Regrettably I couldn't make it for Saturday but visited yesterday instead, shame about the weather but hey ho, ya pays yer money... I've never been to Halfpenny Green before, it is a great venue in a lovely setting, I certainly hope to be coming back again for the next fly-in (when they've fixed the runway :whistle: ). And the bacon butties were brill too :smile:
Last edited by Roughcutter on Mon 01 May 2017, 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Roughcutter wrote:I certainly will be coming back again for the next fly-in (when they've fixed the runway :whistle: )

I guess that should read, if there's another fly-in, given to damage to the runway and the cost to repair it... :ninja:

rob68

Post by rob68 »

from YouTube comments ref the video

"Raj Ford:
Hi Graham - can I please use this footage with a credit to you on our Midlands Today bulletin please? My number is 0121 567 6101 - would be grateful if you could get in touch. Look forward to hearing from you"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Crikey, that looks quite alarming! I assume the aircraft was undamaged - did he RTB North Weald?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Living only around a 15min drive from the airfield,I heard a rumour some time ago that aircraft with jet engines weren't allowed to land there because of the noise level.Obviously this must have changed at some time.I'll bet the some of the locals pulled a face when the Vampire came in and when it departed.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Crikey, that looks quite alarming! I assume the aircraft was undamaged - did he RTB North Weald?

It took off then undertook what I'd describe as "high energy manoeuvres" at height and well away from the airfield before contacting atc to request a fly by to check the rear stabiliser! All seemed ok so it then continued in a holding pattern while they temporarily repaired the runway at the 10/16 intersection. During this time he declared an electrical issue and landed safely shortly after on 16 and shut down at the end of the runway.

Annoyed because we stayed at the threshold of 16 expecting him to use that runway and not 10 so missed out on the photos!!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Roughcutter wrote:I certainly will be coming back again for the next fly-in (when they've fixed the runway :whistle: )

I guess that should read, if there's another fly-in, given to damage to the runway and the cost to repair it... :ninja:

There's always the grass :butt:

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Roughcutter wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:

There's always the grass :butt:

Nah, you can't repair tarmac with grass :lol:

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Lead story on BBC local news, the video was showed twice

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

There's always the grass :butt:[/quote]

Nah, you can't repair tarmac with grass :lol:[/quote]

Who said anything about fixing tarmac....? :hypno: :dizzy:

Bobbyshunter

Post by Bobbyshunter »

Ian G wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Crikey, that looks quite alarming! I assume the aircraft was undamaged - did he RTB North Weald?

It took off then undertook what I'd describe as "high energy manoeuvres" at height and well away from the airfield before contacting atc to request a fly by to check the rear stabiliser! All seemed ok so it then continued in a holding pattern while they temporarily repaired the runway at the 10/16 intersection. During this time he declared an electrical issue and landed safely shortly after on 16 and shut down at the end of the runway.

Annoyed because we stayed at the threshold of 16 expecting him to use that runway and not 10 so missed out on the photos!!

So where did you hear and when did you hear they had to temp repair intersection and are you just making up issues that didn't happen or were you in the aircraft?
Last edited by LN Strike Eagle on Tue 02 May 2017, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Text slang

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Vampire Preservation has released a statement regarding the issue.

As has been reported today in various media outlets, an incident involving WZ507 occurred on Sunday 30th April during departure from Halfpenny Green airfield.

During the take off roll, jet blast from the Vampire's Goblin engine caused significant sections of runway to detach and fly into the air behind the aircraft. Fortunately every piece of debris missed the Vampire, which did not even suffer a scratch. The pilot, who was completely unaware of the situation, safely continued the take off and later returned to Halfpenny Green, landing on a different runway.

Is going to raise questions as to why the aircraft operated from there in the first place.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

That statement is misleading IMHO as (from the video) damage was being caused during the back track so the runway contained serious FOD during the take off.

We are still in a "post Shoreham" environment within the media so operating classic jets from runways that are suitable would seem to be a good idea? Plus, its the video that the media are interested in so even the smallest of events gets coverage.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Bobbyshunter wrote:So where did you hear and when did you hear they had to temp repair intersection and are you just making up issues that didn't happen or were you in the aircraft?

They didn't "temporary repair" any part of the runway. They cleared the debris from the section of runway 10/28 which intercepts 16/34. Then the aircraft landed on Runway 16.