Duxford 100 Art Installation

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Duxford 100 Art Installation

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Imperial War Museum at Duxford is celebrating its 100th birthday with a unique art show.

It is set to unveil a special installation that will take visitors on “a tactile quest” telling the story of the airfield.

This year marks the centenary of the Duxford base, and the art installation has been designed to help people tap in to its history.

A spokeswoman said: “Since 1917, people have entrusted us with their personal accounts of war, in the knowledge that IWM will continue to share them with future generations. IWM Duxford plays a special role in this, sharing the personal stories of the men and women who lived and worked at the airfield, the history of war from the air and tales of ingenuity in aviation.

“Our centenary - a landmark occasion - is being commemorated with the creation of DX17, Duxford’s first ever contemporary art installation, inspired by our remarkable history.

"A spectacular and imaginative storytelling device, it engages visitors in a tactile quest to uncover up to 100 memories – narrative fragments, voices, sound, signals, moments, stories or anecdotes – from Duxford’s remarkable past and present.

"Inspired by themes of flight and innovation, DX17 is a dramatic large-scale sculpture, similar in size to a Spitfire, futuristic and aerodynamic in form. This innovative sound sculpture has been created by BAFTA award-winning composer and multi-disciplinary artist Nick Ryan. Nick’s previous projects have included Tate Sensorium, an immersive multi-sensory exhibition at Tate Britain, and A Living River, the world’s largest sound installation, displayed at Gatwick Airport.”

The art show will be unveiled to the public for the first time on June 16, and will then be on display until September.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/ca ... d-12976666

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

cg_341

Re: Duxford 100 Art Installation

Post by cg_341 »

That's literally just a white triangle.

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:That's literally just a white triangle.

Makes a change from continually being asked to fund a green one

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Looks like there is going to be one of those silhouette artists with the black paper and scissors present as well. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Looks like an alien spaceship!
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

If you ever fancy a read :whistle:

Why Your Five Year Old Could Not Have Done That: Modern Art Explained
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

For all its brilliance, Duxford surely does some stupid things.

JoshWiggins

Post by JoshWiggins »

Looks like a glorified paper aeroplane. Let's throw it to see how far it goes. Or take it to Flugtag.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

capercaillie wrote:

Looks like there is going to be one of those silhouette artists with the black paper and scissors present as well. :whistle:

Whistling at the same time that's clever

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

In my opinion, it's a beautiful piece, made to a very difficult brief that includes education and interactivity. If you don't appreciate it, walk on by. But don't demean it just for your own cynical amusement.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

They are starting to rebuild the hangar that was blown up in the BoB film .....

.....or it's where they are putting the art installation, in a big tent.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

I had a preview of this "installation" yesterday. Now I was quite prepared to be cynical, but I experienced it and actually I was very impressed! you kind of interact with the "shape" which then plays you a selection of recordings by people closely associated with Duxford over its 100 years, the smokey darkness and the surreal "shape" I thought really worked in making me more aware of the dialogue, than if it was just a collection of video loops. You might well think
different, and there is the argument that the money might be better spent in say, conservation, but that aside, I recommend giving it a try!

Temp

Post by Temp »

Well, it has been running for a month now.

And no comments? I admit that it did nothing for me at all.

The best way to convey information is by pictures, not soundbites which are scattered randomly around the object and which you have to listen to from beginning to end to find out what it is all about.

And it must be expensive to present, with two people on duty there all the time.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Wont go in on principal.

Museum claims not to have any money for the maintenance of buildings or aircraft, hangar 5 on Tuesday during the downpour apparently had a Niagara falls from the roof and it's been like that for years, but miraculously managed to find over £200,000 for a vanity project that will look good on someone's CV.

If they wanted to celebrate 100 Years @ Duxford then all the had to do was get the Be2, Spit 1 and Meteor, start/middle/finish of RAF flying, along with the Mustang and P-47 for the American years, set up in one of the hangars and there you have 100 Years @ Duxford and wouldn't have cost any where near £200,000.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

I must admit I went in last weekend, set to ridicule it I somewhat enjoyed it, however I'm not sure why they modelled it as a Star Destroyer?

The voice clips are nice but often you just get half of it and really struggle to get any context. 15 minutes is not nearly long enough to listen to it all, either.

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Pen Pusher, although I have a slightly different point of view, I can't disagree with you. I also witnessed the " Niagra " leaks the other day, maintenance issues
will always occur, but long standing ones of that type indicate a lack of proper maintenance, that I fear at Duxford in recent years is yet another pointer to a growing Corporate mentality overriding the commitment the " Guiding Lights " should have. Your point about the installation being a Vanity project does underline this. I salute your principles, its just I'm too nosey...

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Pen Pusher wrote:If they wanted to celebrate 100 Years @ Duxford then all the had to do was get the Be2, Spit 1 and Meteor, start/middle/finish of RAF flying, along with the Mustang and P-47 for the American years, set up in one of the hangars and there you have 100 Years @ Duxford and wouldn't have cost any where near £200,000.

Come on Brian, we all know no-one visits an aviation museum to see aircraft. What a silly suggestion... :tongue2:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I went into DX17 the other day and can see both points.
As a way of getting young people to listen to oral history it's very effective.
As for the costs - the money could probably been spent better.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I visited this today. I was a little cynical for the first couple of minutes in there, but once you buy into the experience (and forget about what they've spent), I found it quite immersive, interesting and worthwhile.

Christ knows why it's that shape though.

It's being taken down on 30th September.