What did I do wrong?

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

What did I do wrong?

Post by Domvickery »

After attending the recent Abingdon night shoot nearly all of my floodlit shots are only good for gracing the recycle bin, with them all being out of focus, they looked fine through the viewfinder but after they're just dreadful.

After switching to a 7D Mk1 last year I have really struggled with focusing, although I think I'm on top during the daylight its at night the trouble seems to rear its head.

Nearly all have come out similar to the below shot

ImageAbingdon Nightshoot 05-2017 280 by justdom1, on Flickr

Any ideas, hints & tips?
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: What did I do wrong?

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Looks like the camera has moved during the exposure to me. Was it windy?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

Agreed - that is camera shake, not a focusing issue.
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

It was a slight breeze nothing too major though & I had shielded the camera as best as I could.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

It may be that the camera/lens combination is too heavy for the tripod?

Or did you leave IS on?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Just had a look & yep IS was on all night

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Domvickery wrote:Just had a look & yep IS was on all night

That's probably it then. You should switch it off on a tripod.

If you mount the camera on a tripod (or similar stable platform) without cutting the IS, you risk creating what’s called a feedback loop, in which the camera’s IS system essentially detects its own vibrations and starts moving around, even when the rest of the camera is completely still. This introduces motion objects to your camera system and brings with it blurriness. This is one of the key reasons to turn off image stabilization.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Balls, I guess I've learnt the hard way

Thanks Dan

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Agree it's camera movement and not focus problems, hence why they looked ok through the viewfinder.

Maybe some wind has moved the camera. The longer your exposure, the more chance of this happening. Maybe increase ISO and/or open aperture more to get a quicker shutter time if there is a breeze. Make sure that if you have the tripod legs or neck fully extended, that all appropriate retaining screws have been tightened. The more you extend the tripod, the more unsteady it can be. If the tripod has a hook somewhere near it's base, try hanging your camera bag on it to weigh it down. Put your tripod up at home and get to know it really well, checking it for potential wobbles. Use an umbrella to shield the camera from any wind, providing it does not hinder your fellow photographers or maybe your open coat if you stand upwind side.

Tripods can pick up vibrations from engine running or helicopter downwash.

Once you have taken a shot, take another two or three immediately to hedge your bets.

I presume you were using a remote or cable shutter release. If not, the 7D should have a two second and ten second timer delay which will allow the camera to steady if the shutter release has been manually pressed.

Search this part of the forum, as nightshooting advice has come up before.

On a separate note, you mention focussing issues with your 7D mk! I don't know what lenses you have but I had a Canon 70-200 f4L on a 7D for a couple of years and the auto focus never let me down, so manual focussing was never needed. If you do a lot of manual focussing, your eyes can get very tired quickly, making it harder to tell if you have it spot on or not.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

It does look like IS movement, but he did also move during his run... check out my video below. But if all your photos are ruined, then it can't be just that... the IS is likely to be the issue. I always check and check again if I have it on. I've put a small green dot sticker on the back of my camera to remind me too..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmF5sbeHOOI[/youtube]

I bumped up my ISO to 1250 as I noticed him moving and this was my result. (Video and photo taken with the 6D at different times.)

ImageF-AZZK Yak-3U by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

The movement was due to undercarriage compression when he increased the revs. I am surprised that the engine runs were done without chocks as an untimely brake failure could have had significant consequences if there were people (or other aircraft) directly in front.

Cheers,
Ralph.
www.jetnoise.co.uk

john001

Post by john001 »

While a manufacturer may say turn off IS on a tripod I have frequently forgotten and never had a result like this not any other issues. This is much more like the aircraft moved or the tripod was not sable enough and the vibration in the ground from the engine run caused the tripod to move. Try a few test shots with IS on and off.

wallace

Post by wallace »

IS - you have learned that same lesson we all have made at one point in time... and occasionally repeat.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Jetnoise wrote:I am surprised that the engine runs were done without chocks as an untimely brake failure could have had significant consequences if there were people (or other aircraft) directly in front.

We briefed each run with the pilot and each run had an escape route should the brakes fail.

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

I had hoped that would be the case - a luxury they dont have at Northolt. Just gutted I could not attend - the shots of the Yak running are just sublime!

Cheers,
Ralph
www.jetnoise.co.uk